Skip to main content
Topic: The Game Plan - Better, Worse Or Non-Existent ?? (Read 25826 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Game Plan - Better, Worse Or Non-Existent ??

Reply #15
Yes I want Watson to be given a go for sure but he has been given much more of a chance than Graham and I don't see Watson with the green vest on every time he gets picked. I would have Watson play and try to develop over playing Simon White who IMO is never going to be good enough. But the two situations don't compare.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #16
Yes I want Watson to be given a go for sure but he has been given much more of a chance than Graham and I don't see Watson with the green vest on every time he gets picked. I would have Watson play and try to develop over playing Simon White who IMO is never going to be good enough. But the two situations don't compare.

At the moment White gives us some mongrel that Watson doesn't offer!

I agree about playing Watson, but I am not sure White won't make it as he has footballer type attributes!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
I agree re White, he's strong, physical, a decent kick and reasonably courageous, you'd think with all those attributes he's a monte to make it but at the age of 26 and with the same stupid errors being made I don't think he's worth persevering with.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #18
SEN Today.

The lunchtime crew claims the most efficient team at converting F50 entries into goals is Hawthorn at ~30%, Carlton is in 2nd place at ~27%!  :D

Offsetting our joy is apparently the fact that we are one of the poorest at stopping scores when opponents enter their F50!  :(

Hard to imagine isn't it, especially given the defensive mindset of our coach. Those stats reads like we are succeeding in spite of the coach instead of because of the coach!  :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
our game plan has to change for 2015.We have to stop the long bomb into the fwd line because i am sick of watching opp sides read the play and run it out with ease.

Reply #20
our game plan has to change for 2015.We have to stop the long bomb into the fwd line because i am sick of watching opp sides read the play and run it out with ease.

Thought we looked better v. Nth though M1. Our forwards were leading better and there was some nice F50 delivery.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21

I disagree to an extent.

The North game last week was the first game that I absolutely enjoyed for a very long time, our brand of football.

It was not a long bomb-it was strategic long kick placed between CHF and HFF.

For the first time in 20 years I cannot recall 3 tall forwards at Carlton - hence I will never miss the outside running whippet like sides we had with garlett, betts, yarran all in one side - that brand - being the Ratten brand, will never win Premierships...

Reply #22
Pretty sure all those players were at the club when Ratten was coaching. Only hendo wasn't playing forward but that was because he was struggling there. Maybe his plan for them was to play back pocket, I dunno?

Reply #23

Shows you how wrong your perception is, we rate 2nd in the league at scoring efficiency for Inside 50s only behind Hawthorn!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24

Shows you how wrong your perception is if we rate 2nd in the league at scoring efficiency for Inside 50s!

I would be interested in knowing what the stat is for clearing the ball out from our 50 is. That number could still be very high as we're only scoring from less that 1 in 3 entries so 2 of the 3 might be getting cleared very easily which account for mina' s observation

Reply #25

Shows you how wrong your perception is if we rate 2nd in the league at scoring efficiency for Inside 50s!

I would be interested in knowing what the stat is for clearing the ball out from our 50 is. That number could still be very high as we're only scoring from less that 1 in 3 entries so 2 of the 3 might be getting cleared very easily which account for mina' s observation

Very true, and in the "Lock it inside F50" stats we are apparently low but the Swans are #1.

But we shouldn't be too unhappy, you have to give credit where credit is due and we sit 2nd! 1 F50 entry out of every 4 results in a Carlton goal, Dawks are not far off 1 in every 3 which would be really nice!:
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Should we one day make the big game whilst Yarran is playing for us he will be the one that can win it for us IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #27
It is hard to have a set-play Game Plan in a game with so much variable, but it seems there is no substitute for amazing skills. Judd and now Gibbs can create unimagined opportunity in centre scrummage.
I think Gartlett could achieve more than a crunching Bell or electric Armfield. 
The future has to be with players with slick slick skills - Docherty and Lucus are in that category.
We have done well to Slot Rowe. We wasted years before giving Walker a position where he could use his dash..
We all thought Hansen would one day repay trust..
I think MickM is doing a great job seeding talent and polishing defensive and attacking skills. is Game Plan essentially Discipline?
Sadly, other teams have more talented players

Reply #28
OK, I think I have a good grasp on where we are going now, and I think the game plan is flawed.

I wondered why we are so focused on moving the ball around the boundary line, why stoppages are a key part of the game plan, and what benefit doing so can have?

I suspect the "sales pitch" for the game plan is that it is designed to get the team late into the season with the most amount of "run in their legs" left to compete in the finals. Almost like planning to run a marathon with a limited resource that you cannot waste too early, so you minimise the waste early by doing lots of stop / start ground work and preparation "around the boundaries."

But I think it is flawed, I think the problem with the plan is that it ignores fatigue caused by other aspects of play, mental fatigue, stress, collisions and frustration. Your legs might be fine but that doesn't mean you aren't physically and mentally shattered. It's not a natural way to play football, it is more like a rugby scrum, wrestle or tug-of-war!

The apparent game plan never gives players a break, they usually teeter between a couple of goals down and a couple of goals up. It's like getting to the lead in the race then deliberately slowing to keep your opponent at your shoulder. You just won't ever see that cruise mode that Adelaide or Hawthorn experience. In my opinion those cruise moments give players a mental break as much as a physical break. Our game plan appears to be relentless burden, a wrestling or boxing match without a bell, just a non-stop slog.

It must be so draining on the players, like flagellation, you bash yourself towards the finals and are relieved if you actually get there!

I think a further flaw in the plan is if you make every contest an arm wrestle, you basically leave your fate to the toss of a coin late in a game. You are hardly ever going to be comfortable because your game plan doesn't allow you to escape the opponent. The opponents are nearly always in the zone with a genuine shot at beating you.

I think our opponents know this, the MM plan is well understood, and all those close loses are an indicator that it is doomed to fail.

Port, Dawks, Adelaide, all appear to do the complete opposite. They do their very best to put the opponents down early, remove the opponents motivation and brace against a potential second wave. If they get that break on a club with a game plan like ours, we have no hope of closing the gap, our plan gains ground one step at a time while the others sprint ahead in leaps and bounds!

We are the Tortoise in "The Tortoise and the Hare", our wins rely on the Hare being a complete idiot!

Finally,the area we lack the most, the creative area of the game, the forward line. How does it flourish under this regime? It must surely wither, is that what we are seeing now?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Nah, i think our players just make poor decisions and basic skill errors.  Big looping kicks that fall somewhere near a target is not kicking to advantage, nor giving anyone an opportunity.  It also gets there slowly meaning its easier for a defender to cut off.

We lack intensity at the contest.  Contested footy is king.  you get first use, and odds are if you use the ball well, you should be able to cut up your opposition.

We get killed on the turnover.  Errant kicks directly to opponents, rather than controlled footy.  The best sides in the competition dont make these mistakes.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson