Skip to main content
Topic: Judd '15 (Read 15659 times) previous topic - next topic

Judd '15

Sadly, he was still our most important player last year IMO

Our season changed upon his return, even Murphy captained better when he was around but he can't carry us as far as he used to.

So what role does he play for us next year and can he go on?

Re: Judd '15

Reply #1
He looked seriously dangerous up forward late last season, even jumped at a few packs.

Let him work blokes out of the forward pocket and get them on the burst back towards goal. FMD, who'd want the job standing him, the opposition won't be putting a spud on him, and the rest is break even or lose!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
HFF.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #3
Reckon he will end up being used on the ball especially if we are not going so well and Mick's job is on the line...Cripps, Graham, Bell, Whiley are still way short of the better mids and Judd is still our best in and under player when the heat is on...

Reply #4
Primarily Forward Pocket, with bursts on the ball.

Reply #5
half back flank for the next 3 years...

Reply #6
Am I the only one who thinks he is fairly ordinary as a forward?

Reply #7
Midfield with longer stints on the bench (less game time) a la Lenny Hayes this year. Less forward time IMO.

I would rather have Judd dominating games in the middle for 80% game time than playing 90%+ with time up forward. "resting" up forward is a myth. Forwards still need to run their guts out and don't get much time on the bench.

Reply #8

In the past he has looked miffed, even disinterested maybe, but a few times late last season he really looked ready to have a crack up forward. Like he had overcome the Sads about not being on the ball 24x7.

Midfield with longer stints on the bench (less game time) a la Lenny Hayes this year. Less forward time IMO.

I would rather have Judd dominating games in the middle for 80% game time than playing 90%+ with time up forward. "resting" up forward is a myth. Forwards still need to run their guts out and don't get much time on the bench.

There isn't a traditional back pocket in the league that could run with Judd or Ablett for 15 mins, let alone half a game. They have to put blokes like Crowley on them and that weakens the opposition defensive setup as much as anything.

Have Judd learn to turn the right way relative to the umpire location and he will get holding the man free kicks half a dozen times a game.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9

In the past he has looked miffed, even disinterested maybe, but a few times late last season he really looked ready to have a crack up forward. Like he had overcome the Sads about not being on the ball 24x7.

There isn't a traditional back pocket in the league that could run with Judd or Ablett for 15 mins, let alone half a game. They have to put blokes like Crowley on them and that weakens the opposition defensive setup as much as anything.

Have Judd learn to turn the right way relative to the umpire location and he will get holding the man free kicks half a dozen times a game.

Taking Judd out of the midfield and putting him forward means running one of our forwards through the midfield. Not sure Menzel has the tank yet and Ellard doesn't have anywhere near the class of Judd. Play players in the position they play their best footy.

Reply #11
Play him where we need him . On the ball.
Hes the same vintage as Ablett, Hodge, Stevie J. He can handle it . Specially with some younger blokes coming through to ease the pressure.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #12
In the last few games he played for us in the mid field this year he looked great and was definitely very fit. I'd leave him there - if it ain't broke etc etc.

We're off to a flyer if he has a good and uninterrupted preseason then follows up with a long run of games in 2015, punctuated by some strategic rest weeks.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #13
In the last few games he played for us in the mid field this year he looked great and was definitely very fit. I'd leave him there - if it ain't broke etc etc.

We're off to a flyer if he has a good and uninterrupted preseason then follows up with a long run of games in 2015, punctuated by some strategic rest weeks.

x2
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17