Skip to main content
Topic: Round 3 Carlton v Essendon-Post match thread (Read 36823 times) previous topic - next topic

Round 3 Carlton v Essendon-Post match thread

Oh well..............

2 and a bit years of Mick, and I'm back to feeling happy about an honorable loss.

Keeping standards high is a daily battle.

Good last quarter by the boys.

As I said earlier, some more accuracy and..................

Re: Round 3 Carlton v Essendon-Post match thread

Reply #1
Regardless of what happens from here, i think we've seen some clear improvement in our play this week.

Like screw.

The Bombers stopped and we still couldn't finish off.

That performance was certainly no better than anything we've dished up this year, it was just the Bombers were crap.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #2
We can't continue to play Curnow and Carrazzo to play in the same team..... IMO

Reply #3
Much better, apart from that lapse where we let them get 4 unanswered goals. Had their measure a lot of the time and only poor disposal and conversation prevented a win.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

more

Reply #4
We can't continue to play Curnow and Carrazzo to play in the same team..... IMO

Good observation, reckon that's why Curnow was subbed off. And we're one tall too many up forward. When we went smaller with Walks we looked better.

Whiley (if he puts in a good one for the NBs) for Ellard.

Probably will be two or three forced changes with Yazz to get a few his hit, 50-50 re Gibbs on Goddard and Hendo seems to have legs probs and Jammo shoulder probs.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #5
OK we got the frame up....rebuild should be finished by next week ;D

Reply #6
It was the basic skills errors that killed us today, nothing else. Poor kicking at goal or to a team-mate just made it near impossible to win this match. We had the best of the stats but it was hard to know where we were going to take them given we had all of our slow-paced mids in the team.

Tackling was good, Cripps was good, Byrne did some good things, Yarran's whack on Chapman was superb, overall, there was some decent things to finally hang our hat on. The final margin may have flattered us as the Druggies definitely ran out of legs but it was a credit to our players that they sensed the game was still there to be won even when they got out to 41-points in the last.

Bell's undisciplined effort to give away a 50m penalty was just dumb, this is the poor decision-making that I hate from him and which I believe will always hold him back from graduating to being a top-liner. Maybe he will mature ..... maybe ??

I really disliked Gibbs' game (don't start me on those pink boots either), Murphy was marginally better this week (I did see him addressing the whole team which was good) and Casboult did ......... well what did he do exactly ?? Jones..... nah, hasn't got it, never will.

Feel sorry for Wood, he tries hard but had to do it all by himself, the sooner Kreuzer comes back the better.

Looking forward to seeing some of the seconds players come into the team, especially Whiley, because they are the future for us, they are the players who I have genuine excitement & anticipation about.

We all expected to lose badly this week so it was admirable (ie. not embarrassing like in the past) of the players to fight it out and end up with a reasonably close margin.

Looking forward to seeing the newbies, the next draft & trade period and 2016 actually.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #7
It was the basic skills errors that killed us today, nothing else. Poor kicking at goal or to a team-mate just made it near impossible to win this match. We had the best of the stats but it was hard to know where we were going to take them given we had all of our slow-paced mids in the team.

While I agree that that cost us the game... I think that we need to drop one of Carrazzo or Curnow. 

The midfield was a lot more damaging once Curnow got subbed (and Curnow isn't a crap player)

It just throws the balance out.

Reply #8
While I agree that that cost us the game... I think that we need to drop one of Carrazzo or Curnow. 

The midfield was a lot more damaging once Curnow got subbed (and Curnow isn't a crap player)

It just throws the balance out.

Carrazzo is fine, either Ellard or Curnow but not both!
The Force Awakens!

Re: more

Reply #9
Byrne was the highlight of that game.  100% effective with his kicking (at least I can't remembering him missing a target), showed desperation, and was fast.  Wanted to take the game on.

We were rubbish in the second quarter (again), made a minor yelp in the third and were all over them in the fourth.  We kick straight we get close to winning.

Thought Cripps game, aside from the misses, was fantastic.  His in an under work was excellent and helped us kill the Dons in the clearances.  Everitt was also good and again so was Docherty.  Also liked Simpsons game.  Murphy showed some interest in the last quarter but vanished when we needed a steadying hand in the second.  Judd might not have got a chunk of the ball, but he did impact the game.

Curnow needs to be dropped.  Ellard kicked in a nice goal but he doesn't set me alight.  Thought Army put in four quarters.  Tom Bell tried but will always be held back by his lack of skill.  Jones contested but that's about it.  Casboult the same.  Hendo did his best both forward and back.  Yazz was lazy but, like Walker, gave us a spark up forward.  Walker was good and a welcome return.  Rowe played his best game of the season, but still wasn't great.  Jamo was OK and seems to be injured.  Tooey was good, took some nice marks.  Wood isn't good enough. 

So, a better effort than the last two weeks but our butchering of the ball and in front of goals is a problem that MM has failed to fix in 3 effin years.  With the clearance and contested ball domination we should have won by five goals.  But our inability to hit a target killed us every single time.

Mondy

Reply #10

Good points on Curnow and there are a few imbalances currently. We are a bit tall forward too and also back if Henderson plays there along with Jamo and Rowe.  Bit of sorting out to come.  Not sure how much longer Curnow can keep a spot as he just doesn't do enough with the footy with the few touches he has.

Bit more to like about the side, especially in the last quater where they didn't drop their bundles and it bodes well for next week in so far as they can feel a little more confident.

As to the game, Simpson was very good, Wood rucked well, Cripps did well, despite missing a goal at the end. We are still booting the cover off the thing from half back resulting in easy turnovers. Midfield needs to work harder to provide opportunities across rhe middle so kicks forward can be under less pressure and go about 20 metres deeper. Its a tough ask for forwards to keep the ball in at high half forward.

Shame about Yarran,  will probably miss a couple of weeks.

Reply #11
We must have the worst combination of skills and decision making in the league.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #12
Also thought Jones' game was much better

Shame he missed the extra kicks but he presented well and took some nice marks.

Reply #14
Got home from work in time to watch the 2nd half only.
What has changed in the past 3 or 4 years.....ummmm nothing. We work our a55es off to kick a goal, yet by the next breath we let our opposition score 2 or 3!

Disposal disposal disposal.......we are terrible. Our decision making is not much better. In the 3rd qrt in particular, the amount of times their mids ( Watson time and time again) rather than bomb a ball in long or have a shot at goal themselves ......they'd kick it short to a lead. And every time our defenders were running back toward the goals or were always behind their man.

Our F50 entries were embaressing to watch....continual hope in hell balls with plenty of elevation and no penetration. Easy pickings for Pascoe Vale girls defenders!!

While dissapointed at what was for the most part a terrible performance, at least we were nt pummeled into oblivion like I honestly thought we would be.

Just on Sheehan, I like the boy. Good run, great kick and nice size too. Damn shame MM made him the sub !

Someone earlier mentioned that we were too tall in our Fwd line. I have no problem with our height, it's just that our talls move like glaciers and have no system or understanding of each others games and strengths thats the problem. ( Delivery to them doesnt help!! )
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!