Skip to main content
Topic: Back to Forward (Read 10817 times) previous topic - next topic

Back to Forward

You remember in the days when you were young and the game wasn't going to plan so the coach switched all the backs to forwards. :D

Let's do that.

Yarran, Buckley, Walker, Tuohy, Rowe, Jamison.....all forward.

F: Buckley, Jamison, Walker
HF: Yarran, Rowe ,Tuohy

Seriously though....we have a real problem in the forward line.
Apart from Henderson (every couple of weeks) and Menzel (when he plays) we've got nothing.
We're lacking in both tall and small forwards.

Now obviously it's not possible (and pretty silly)to move them all.
Yarran and Buckley provide that important run out of defence.

But most of those players provide something that could be useful up forward.
Walker is one that should definitely be moved. He's giving us limited value down back.
Tuohy is probably our most accurate goalkicker ::) and if he has the ball anywhere around the 50 metre line he's a good chance.
Would he be of more value playing at half forward (either of the other two Irish lads could possible fill his spot in defence.)

At the very least send Walker and Tuohy forward.

Re: Back to Forward

Reply #1
SoS to the back line, Fev to the forward  ;D

Walker will probably be forced forward, there's a start.

Reply #2
Depends whether we are trying to "win at all costs" or "list managing"?  ???
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
I think they have tried that in principal, except the backline keeps forgetting to go forward.

The forward line is certainly very comfortable in the back half and seem to spend most of their time there.

Maybe thats why we can't score.........there is noone in the forwardline, I wonder if ther coaches have noticed!

Reply #4
I think they have tried that in principal, except the backline keeps forgetting to go forward.

The forward line is certainly very comfortable in the back half and seem to spend most of their time there.

Maybe thats why we can't score.........there is noone in the forwardline, I wonder if ther coaches have noticed!

:D

Maybe we should send everyone forward...all out attack.
I'm sure the players would enjoy it more :)

Reply #5
Isn't part of the problem that we have all of our players in the backline.  Perhaps we could try have a couple of blokes playing forward of the centre.

I always thought we were stuffed when SOS got moved forward.  Did we win many games when that happened?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
I don't think the current coach has an attack first mindset!

But I understand the sentiment because we play football the U10s anyway, get ball, slam boot, run to stoppage, everybody around the ball playing in the mud!

We look like we are there for the lollies at 1/2 time! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
I think we've seen most of our defenders as forwards? Might be better off with seconds to firsts  :))

Reply #8
Like the day Fev got moved to Full back and got 5 kicked on him in a quarter.  ;D
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #10
That's Forward to Back....That trick never works (at least not since Jesaulenko)

Not quite true, Lodsy.

Gordon Collis, was our Centre half Forward in 1963.

In 1964, Ken Hands, I think was the coach, or Jim Francis, my memory aint what it used to be, shifted Collis to a permanent centre Half back position.

Collis won the Brownlow, beating Ken Fraser from Essendon who was the hot favourite.

Reply #11
That's Forward to Back....That trick never works (at least not since Jesaulenko) :D

Back to forward doesn't appear to be working with Hendo and forward to back is not working with Walker.  ;D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12
Back to forward doesn't appear to be working with Hendo and forward to back is not working with Walker.  ;D

How about we have a coaching panel that just lets them play in their best position instead of everywhere! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
How about we have a coaching panel that just lets them play in their best position instead of everywhere! ;)

When they all answer that their best position leaves us without a balanced squad, then what do you do?

I doubt any man in the team will pick forward or back pocket, nor inside midfielder tagger either.

For sure not one of them would want to be a CHF or FF at our club the way the ball is delivered laces out every week.

There is much more to managing a team of individuals than drawing names on a piece of paper and saying now go out there an play football.

The part we are doing wrong, is the kick the ball to our teamates advantage anyway.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
Walker should play forward...thats a no brainer IMO......
Touhy further up the ground ie Wing/Half forward is also worth trying..

I would also try Casboult in the NO 1 ruck position and have him ruck most of the game......might do a Stefan Martin if given the responsibility....
Wood is handy but no star and Warnock is next to useless..I'd rather win less tapouts initially and have Casboults marking ability around the ground and his big frame in more contests..