Skip to main content
Topic: Why So Different?? (Read 35509 times) previous topic - next topic

Why So Different??

One aspect of our game that we used to lament was our accuracy in front of goal, missing key shots at critical times.

Across the season, we have kicked
9.3  (GWS smashed us)

Yet the last 2 weeks, when we have played aggressive, creative, entertaining football, we have kicked
14.6 and 17.8

Can a change in gameplan make us more accurate??

Murphy's goal in the 3rd quarter probably would have been a miss 6 weeks ago, but yesterday it was a captain's goal at a critical time!

Re: Why So Different??

Reply #1
Moving the ball into space, coming through the middle and allowing an open forward line are all parts of this.

Under Ratten, we kicked a heap of goals from the square and now we are seeing this again. Move it quick and direct and allow players to run onto it. Or hit leading players out in front of goals.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #2
Could it be that we are getting shots at goal in better positions due to our more direct football? Slow movement usually results in being pushed out to the wings. Fast ball movement means it goes through the middle. Pretty sure we could find some sort of graph on that on the AFL website.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #3
@shadesy

Great minds!! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #4
I think it is so different  because MM was trying to change the way the blues played all together... was a long term plan that few had patience for

Reply #5
Mick had lost the plot mate. He was a stubborn, outdated coach on the way down and determined to bring the club with him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #6
Because the previous coach was wedded to an obsolete gameplan whereby we moved the ball  around the flanks at a snails pace, which allowed the opposition defense to set up and organise themselves. Defense is a total field, total team issue now, which we have failed to grasp.

Control of the corridor and fast ball movement wins games - the opposite is certain failure in modern foortball.

Coupled with zero intensity from the players, an abject lack of confidence which caused players to perform basic skills poorly, playing blokes forward of the ball who either had no idea or will to run dangerous positions, no system in bringing the ball forward...  I'm surprised we actually scored at all at times.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #7
The visible difference to me is energy and spontaneity. The guys now are decisive and direct and play with a single purpose.

Under MM they looked confused and tentative a lot of the time, more worried about sticking to instruction and predetermined actions, with the accompanying fear factor of the consequences of not complying or making an error. Those shackles have simply been removed and replaced with much broader-based  team plans which allow a lot more creativity and individual freedom but at the same time a single team purpose. We are playing a lot more for each other, but as has been emphasised already, early days and still a long road ahead.

PS. Just found this.......

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-20/confident-carlton-has-been-unshackled-barker
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Can a change in gameplan make us more accurate??

Of course.

Three weeks ago we slug dragged the ball around the field in complete fear of making a mistake, under a game plan that left us hopelessly exhausted (mentally and physically) and in fear of boundary line or post match abuse or retribution.

Now we are sprinting the ball forward and giving our all our blokes more time, space, opportunities and less predictability. FMD, even Hendo looks fast!

Furthermore, the current arrangement isn't as mind numbingly boring!

In summary, the blokes are permitted to play football again!

Even if Port had got that goal late in the last, our team and our game style was still 1000% more watch-able!

FFS people, we defeated a finals touted team that had everything to lose yesterday. Bryce Gibbs became an enforcer. Yet some will still be claiming it wasn't anything to do with the coach! As far as I am concerned they can lock themselves up in a cupboard and dream their dreams, in the meantime I'm happy to keep watching the current lot win, lose or draw! Football is fun again!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
I think it is so different  because MM was trying to change the way the blues played all together... was a long term plan that few had patience for

Standardisation is a long term losing strategy, it only works for you when all others fail at their innovations!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
The first and most significant difference I see is confidence... and that leads to boldness and great care for team mates. We seldom looked confident under MM.

But it is still early days, the challenge for JB and our leadership group is maintaining this high level of aggression at the aggott and the man. Maintaining it so consistently that it becomes the norm. It must become the norm. The early signs, however, are bl00dy great.

And as I long suspected and communicated a few times on this forum of recent times, this list is not quite as bad as people have made out. Gerard Whately had it right when he said, 'ordinary'. But not  'bad' as MM would have had us believe and had me believing in the first year and a bit of his toxic tenure. An 'ordinary' list with confidence can be highly competitive and win plenty of games. Great coaches and leaders have taken 'ordinary' lists deep into September. And the opposite is also true. Shizen leadership and coaching have seen amazing lists fail grandly (Grant Thomas?).

We do need to continue to recruit and develop well over the coming 2 drafts in particular and move our list from okay/ordinary to very good.

Seems to me that our blokes believe that their new Senior Coach believes in them, whereas, it seemed to me that the blokes didn't believe that MM believed in them. In fact it seemed that MM put his own interests ahead of the players as evidenced by his early agitation to get a contract renewal, which he subsequently said caused distraction within the group and justified our failure, if that makes sense. He undermined the players confidence.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #11
And the opposite is also true. Shizen leadership and coaching have seen amazing lists fail grandly (Grant Thomas?).

Yet some refuse to accept the coach has anything to do with it!

So many examples of dud coaches and administrations screwing the team over, Sth Melb/Sydney is littered with a similar history! FFS, they had Edelstein in charge, and we have him back that is a tell!

Let go of those teats Carlton, you are sucking down poison!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
What staggers me is that, despite our obvious failings, we are close to the best contested ball and clearance team in the league but we are only just starting to play to that strength.  Win the ball and rush it forward and defensive issues get negated.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #13
What staggers me is that, despite our obvious failings, we are close to the best contested ball and clearance team in the league but we are only just starting to play to that strength.  Win the ball and rush it forward and defensive issues get negated.

You mean play to your strengths and work slowly on the problems?

Radical!!!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Probably a naive view but it looks like Ratten had them playing a certain way - Mick tried for 2 years to get them to do something else with limited success.

It has taken Barker 3 weeks to get them back to playing how they were under Ratten.

I said during the second quarter when we really got on top - that was the best our team has played in nearly 2 years. Since we beat Port over there in rnd 23 2013 then Richmond in the first final.