Skip to main content
Topic: Patrick Smith Blasts Carlton (Read 16740 times) previous topic - next topic

Patrick Smith Blasts Carlton

http://www.sen.com.au/news/07-15/patrick-smith-blasts-ordinary-carlton

Forgetting the bias against the author....I'll take the pick if he can arrange it.

“I think that club is in real trouble, forget about priority picks to Brisbane there’s your problem club, Carlton,” said Smith.

“It’s probably one of the worst Carlton sides, I thought they were pathetic.

“This is an awful list.”

He doesn't miss anyone...
“This is such an ordinary group of footballers and I think they’re an ordinary collection of blokes in terms of how much they want to give the footy club,’ said Smith on SEN radio.

“My reaction to all of this is that Carlton is absolutely no good and to up to AFL elite measures – and I’m talking about board, football department, coaching and recruiting.”

Smith went further and said that the AFL should consider the Blues as the club in most need of serious help, both financially and maybe even via draft selections.

Re: Patrick Smith Blasts Carlton

Reply #1
http://www.sen.com.au/news/07-15/patrick-smith-blasts-ordinary-carlton

Forgetting the bias against the author....I'll take the pick if he can arrange it.
I take everything Patrick Smith says with more than a grain of salt; more like a Dead Sea worth. However, if he wishes to let us have a decent pick, I'll take it as well. Never look a gift horse in the mouth, they say. :)
To be honest, I think Smith is just trying to take the heat off his beloved B*mmers and our performance was handy.
As for his claims about sacking Malthouse and the state of our list: Malthouse has to take his fair share of the blame there. We recruited certain players and certain types of players under his direct and specific wishes. We did not try hard enough to retain others, again, with his considerable input. He was the head coach and we recruited to suit his directives. So, if our list is crap (and it is), and we were playing with no heart (and we were not playing with any heart at all), removing Malthouse would seem to be a reasonable step.
Smith cannot blame our head recruiters: we have already parted way with them. He can continue to blame the victims as much as he likes but it won't improve our list.

On the other hand, if the AFL wants to help us (and what a shock that would be!), I am quite willing to be helped. Resources we would otherwise be unable to get would be accepted with thanks and humility.
As for Priority Picks, I don't know that they would either us or Brisbane per se. Both we and Brisbane have issues at the moment that do not make us clubs that players want to play for. Fixing that would be more important than anything else. But if they want to give us a decent pick, I will accept it also with good grace.

I doubt that we will get help or a priority pick: the AFL have had too much of a hand in our present problems for me to believe that they will come through. But if it takes being abused in the media by morons who know nothing (and are quite willing to let everyone know that by opening their mouths at every opportunity) to get something worth while, then I am quite willing to be abused.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
I can't see them giving us a priority pick either.
We won a finals match the year before last.
We played finals in 3 of the 4 years before  that.

You need a sustained period of 'bottom dwelling' for that pick to come into play.

Reply #3
thats being arranged
and might i say ....it wont be hard either

Reply #4
Smith is a goose but I'll take the priority picks if he can arrange them with the AFL...

Reply #5
He must have been spending a fair bit of time on this site!  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
He's gone pretty soft compared to what goes on here  :)) bring on the PPs!!!

Reply #7
smith is on the money....

the board is fundamental to our problems since 1979....

Reply #8
Smith is a goose but I'll take the priority picks if he can arrange them with the AFL...

I think he has some valid points, particularly when discussing the Bombers

Reply #9
A good start would be picks 1 and 2 this year (Weitering and Schache). Maybe another 1st rounder there also to use on someone like McKay, Burton, Balic, Curnow or Weideman perhaps.

Get the building blocks right.

Reply #10
Ah, Mr Smith... another to join the long queue of kicking Carlton when we are essentially in ICU.  

The bottom line is that even with our "best" side on the park we struggle to be competitive against the bulk of the other sides.  I think Friday's result drove home to the AFL that there are other clubs that contribute in a serious way to the bottom line and the old adage "a strong Carlton is a strong competition" rings true.  With the next TV rights deal coming up you can bet that more demonstrations of the segregated competition will not help procure the  best deal for the AFL.

The interstate clubs (WA, SA) are money making machines... the others get propped up by the AFL from monies generated by the successful Melbourne clubs and having a traditional powerhouse in the cellar for an extended period really bites the bottom line.

After watching Melbourne score, and largely squander, concessions I can't see how we will get a priority pick but gees if any club ever needed one we do.  Giving us a pick for Waite last year was an obvious means to assist and I reman staggered that this did not eventuate...
I think the anti-Carlton stance from the AFL has already waned a bit - how else did we score so many marquee Friday night timeslots?  I await with interest to see if the position continues to soften as our on and off-field positions become increasingly parlous.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #11
Brisbane and Gold Coast were expected to finish much higher than us.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12
Yet they are talking concessions for both of them as finishing in the cellar is "bad for Qld football"... seriously, one mob drafted Christensen, Beams and Robinson and the other has had the wheels fall off through internal strife and their best player breaking down....  sheesh, gimme a break.  Plus they have academies in  skinny draft....  how much more????
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #13
Yet they are talking concessions for both of them as finishing in the cellar is "bad for Qld football"... seriously, one mob drafted Christensen, Beams and Robinson and the other has had the wheels fall off through internal strife and their best player breaking down....  sheesh, gimme a break.  Plus they have academies in  skinny draft....  how much more????

As for Smith, often his comments can be disregarded but I doubt he can be accused of deflecting attention from the Bumbers in this case. Smith has been quite outspoken about clearing the decks at EFC as well, and his Carlton comments are not far off the mark! Under MM we have disposed of bad boys who could play football in favor of a bunch of nice blokes with potential who fail to deliver.

The clubs he mentions have as big of a culture problem as Carlton, but Carlton has another problem.

Carlton reminds me of the state that English cricket was in before Marsh hardened them up. All tea and scones and no substance, now that Marsh is back in Oz English cricket has given the only bloke who pushed back(Pietersen) the kibosh because of team disunity. They are reverting to play nice and we won't be hurt mentality, let's be friends, in other words they are becoming road kill! Sound familiar?

Teams and clubs go through this cycle, you need the bad boys playing well, like England needed Tony Greig, Bob Willis, Ian Botham, Kevin Pietersen and Freddy Flintoff.

Carlton needed blokes like Robinson, Waite and Garlett because they are the way they are, but our club put them in the too hard basket and gave them the flick. If they also happen to be very good footballers like a Hodge and Lewis then even better!

In our glory days we had players like John Nicholls, Serg Silvagni, Rhys-Jones, Greg Williams, Wayne Johnston, Jim Buckley, Mark Maclure, etc., etc.. Cripps is the first player I have seen for sometime at Carlton with this nasty side, a desire to push back and hurt opponents when pushed! Graham shows some potential as well.

If you don't own a dog, you can't set them loose!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
I don't think Smith was far off the mark but who really gives a ship what he reckons. If Hawks win the flag again in a canter then the AFL needs to do something drastic regarding equalisation. If it means giving out priority picks then I won't say no.