Skip to main content
Topic: Grand Finals…i've see a few how about you live? (Read 11073 times) previous topic - next topic

Grand Finals…i've see a few how about you live?

saw me first 1969 missed 11-12 since

I'll say today after watching Dawks 3 peat they are a great
side but if the Dominator was in that 50/50 1st qtr Cripps v Isaac Smith the laughing Hyena would be waking up now at the Epworth….sorry footy was tougher back than and I smith would be waking with the stars….West coast played like pretty Private School footballers….got the wrong result but gee they were nice guys eh?

crap i hope our baggers don't that way!!!

Re: Grand Finals…i've see a few how about you live?

Reply #1
I must say that I was genuinely surprised by the lack of intensity from some of the key eagle boys when the game reached the point of no guts no glory. Nicnat, Priddis, Hurn, the forward line.....

The Hawks were vulnerable today and the Eagles played right into their hands.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #2
Said the same thing yesterday to my mates was we watching. There was one incident where a WC players helped Hodge off up off the ground after a collision near the boundary line. I would have "accidentally" tripped over him and dropped my knee into his throat to the give the sniping kent a taste of his own medicine. Proof again that nice guys don't win.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Said the same thing yesterday to my mates was we watching. There was one incident where a WC players helped Hodge off up off the ground after a collision near the boundary line. I would have "accidentally" tripped over him and dropped my knee into his throat to the give the sniping kent a taste of his own medicine. Proof again that nice guys don't win.

I was gobsmacked when i saw that and although the eagles chances at the time were slim, that act took it all the way to 0% chance of winning.

Reply #4
Yes.....you could extrapolate here
....afl is becoming too nice and predictable. ...the biff could have been used.in the previous days to unstable hawthorn ...
Just like the Tigers did to us in 73...

Reply #5
I don't know if Hawthorn can do it again, good as they are. They have a lot of self belief: it helps them hugely in games like yesterday. But they really haven't had many injury worries at all in any of their successes.
This year Carlton, Brisbane and Gold Coast were totally destroyed by injuries. We barely had enough players to play the final round, for example. West Coast lost most of their taller defenders before the season even started, which makes their success even more remarkable. Sydney were hot badly before the finals and Freo had their best defender (McPharlin) out and others struggling (Fyffe was playing with a broken leg, for God's sake!).
Did Hawthorn have these problems? No. Come September they had their key players fit and available, with very few unavailable players on their list.
How do Hawthorn do without Hodge and co? They often can manage without one of their guns for short periods, but when they miss more than that, they struggle.

Hawthorn have held up remarkably well. But will they in 2016? I hope not. Even so, their list will start to lose players, through age if nothing else.

One of the questions I would ask is how have they managed to keep their players on the field and relatively intact? It does say something about their fitness and medical staff. There also is a fair bit of luck involved. Will that last forever? Had Hawthorn limped into the finals like Sydney did with half a dozen champions out or crippled, then they would have made a very quick exit.

So, what can we do about it? The first thing to do is to learn from hawthorn's game plan and fanaticism. We then plan a team that is designed to beat them. But unless we can replicate their ability to stay on the park we are wasting our time.

I truly think that some other teams will get Hawthorn in 2016 because I cannot see them holding their team together physically. Brisbane went into the finals with a team of crocks looking for their 4th in a row. it ended very badly.
Here ended the lesson.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
76, 78, 79, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 91.

Reply #7
76, 78, 79, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 91.
I managed most of those! I started in 1973. What a shocker! We finished with 14 fit players and still scared the crap out of them.
1987 I missed. I was in Europe for the whole season. I saw the game in an Aussie Club in London.

In some ways 1987 makes my point for me (from my previous sermon): Hawthorn went into the GF without a key player, Dunstall, and fell in a hole. The longer the game went, the less their team functioned. That was a good day!

1973 also makes a point for me. We lost a couple of very important smalls before the GF and ended up giving Vinnie Catoggio his debut. We lost about 90 possessions through those injuries, and couldn't manage when Richmond took out our 'brain' (Nicholls). They then broke Southby's jaw, Hall's cheekbone and gave concussion to a couple of others.

1988: injuries to key players killed us. We did a fantastic job to do as well as we did. But we couldn't get our best on the field in the last half of the season.
Does that sound familiar? Let's see Hawthorn win with those problems. It isn't going to happen!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
I've only seen three Grand Finals live.
The first was 1968, my dad let me camp overnight at Princes Park to buy tickets and I was 6 rows from the fence at the Punt Road end with my eldest sister.
Wes Lofts belted Geoff Blethyn in the first 10 minutes without even giving away a free kick and Blethyn wasn't much good for the rest of the day even though he kicked a few goals.
Nicholls played a huge game in the ruck and we won by less than a kick for our first flag in 23 years, we wasted a lot of chances and should have won by more but I didn't care at the time.
The next was in 1987, stinking hot and I planned to drink lemonade and enjoy the win, we had a stellar team and I was very confident.
In the first 10 minutes Dominator took out Tuck, Harry Madden fixed up Dipper and Peter Dean frog marched Russell Morris and sat him in the first row of the crowd, all this after Johnno did a head count at the first bounce and won us a free kick for Hawthorn having too many players in the square.
To say we were switched on that day would be a massive understatement.
Braddles and Johnno ran Hawthorn ragged and kicked 5 between them and Harry dominated in the ruck.
They sold out of lemonade before quarter time and I wound up blind drunk on the top deck of a double decker bus doing laps of Lygon Street, after which I passed out on the half forward flank in front of the Gardiner Stand.
In between those two I went to the 1980 Collingwood/Richmond Grand Final, a mate of mine was an old South Melbourne supporter and Sydney was playing in the reserves Grannie and he asked me to go with him.
My mate told me to watch one of the young Sydney players in the twos, he said he was a ripper.
It was David Rhys-Jones.
In the big game Stan Magro chased Bartlett around for most of the day trying to whack him but couldn't catch him and KB kicked 7, we left just after half time and went to the pub but it was OK seeing Collingwood get touched up, even if it was by Richmond.
I had a ticket in 1995 but I knew we'd win and gave it to my youngest sister who'd never seen us win a flag live, at the time I assumed there'd be more to follow.
I think I'll be waiting a while until I get the chance again and I won't be giving the ticket away. ;)

The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #9
79, 81,82,86,87,93,95,97,98,99,00,   -  geez, it's 15 years since I've been to a GF!

Reply #10
79, 81,82,86,87,93,95,97,98,99,00,   -  geez, it's 15 years since I've been to a GF!

Terrible way to finish off there jofo  ;)

Reply #11
I've seen 14 GFs. 2 we won. The 1970 and 1987.

Both great games but 1970 was the best ever for me.
One of my good mates, Bert Thornley was playing that day. Fantastic game.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #12

Jesaulenko..........you beauty!!!!
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #13
I've seen 14 GFs. 2 we won. The 1970 and 1987.

I went to the Preliminary Final that year where we pumped St.Kilda by 62pts. Jackson got 6, Jezza got 4.7, Perc 4 as well. We had 307 possession that day, very high for that era, 250 of them kicks.

Reply #14
Seen 2001-2005 then 2007-2014. Didn't go this year and happy to have made that choice! ;D
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!