Skip to main content
Topic: The GWS Gang - Will They Or Won't They ?? (Read 18872 times) previous topic - next topic

The GWS Gang - Will They Or Won't They ??

Over the past two years, we have invested in six players from the GWS club in the hope that they will have a meaningful contribution & impact with us.

Things is, which of them will make it as genuine long-term senior players and who won't ?? 

Kristian Jaksch

Lachie Plowman

Jethro Lamb

Liam Sumner

Andrew Phillips

Mark Whiley
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: The GWS Gang - Will They Or Won't They ??

Reply #1
Over the past two years, we have invested in six players from the GWS club in the hope that they will have a meaningful contribution & impact with us.

Things is, which of them will make it as genuine long-term senior players and who won't ?? 

Kristian Jaksch

Lachie Plowman

Jethro Lamb

Liam Sumner

Andrew Phillips

Mark Whiley

Jaksch and Plowman can make it IMO.......the latter has to stop getting injured though

Whiley...gone at seasons IMO.....too slow, disposal poor and while he has a go he doesnt have the class needed...
Sumner..untried but at his size you need to be very very good......pace and goalkicking ability and needs some games to be tested but I'd have him behind Lamb at this stage.
Lamb....lazy trainer at GWS but seems to be fitter with us......at his 3rd club...odds not great of making it.
Philips...probably in competition with Gorringe for a game....one of them wont make it....Philips is more the stock standard solid type of ruckman while Gorringe has more flair....cant pick a winner at this stage..

Reply #2

Kristian Jaksch - Yes

Lachie Plowman - Yes

Jethro Lamb - No

Liam Sumner - Yes

Andrew Phillips - No

Mark Whiley - No
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Kristian Jaksch - this guy really worries me, has the skills & the height but is still too thin, I have a bad feeling he may end up being just another very good VFL player

Lachie Plowman - appears to be the best placed of the lot but spends a fair bit of time in the medical room, if he can stay on the park long enough he should be a winner.

Jethro Lamb - if I had to put the kiss-of-death on one of them it will be this chap, third club and hardly fired a shot at the previous two, it's time to piss or get off the pot

Liam Sumner - not totally convinced that he will get there but there is a place in the team for him if he wants it bad enough

Andrew Phillips - he's a monster & has some real aggression but needs to impose himself around the ground as well as at stoppages, I'm on the fence with this one but really hope he comes on in leaps & bounds.

Mark Whiley - I originally had high hopes for him after watching him play some really solid games for GWS just before he was traded, my enthusiasm has waned somewhat but he may still get there
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #4
I think Whiley will make it.

Plowman and Jaksch should.

Phillips and Lamb could.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #5
We will have done well if Jaksch and Plowman can both manage 100 games.

Whiley has an outside chance but I'm not confident that he, or any of the others, will make 100 games.  It will be a bonus if one does.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
I think only Plowman and Jaksch were viewed by the club as serious long term prospects and the others were viewed more as short term recruits to bolster the list during the rebuild phase. Whether those two make it long term is anybody's guess at this stage. Jaksch has so far not made any mark but has had injuries whilst Plowman seems to have been highly rated by clubs at the time of his drafting - we can only hope they can progress this year.

As for the others, anyone's guess at this stage but we've seen more of Whiley who has not so far set the world alight.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
Reckon Plowman could be a star! rate him really highly,. Greta size, beautiful side step, clean hands, marks well, good kick, good footy nous. Juts needs to stay on the park!

Sumner has all the tools to make the highest level.

Jaksch seems more timid than what I remember seeing at the Giants but again has all the tools and skills.

Phillips, like Gorringe, has aggression and is a massive unit so I'm willing to give these two lost of time.

Lamb has clean hands and loads of talent. is fitter and working hard so give him some time. I've always been a fan of his so am hoping it all comes together for him...and us.

Whiley would be a bonus. More bulk around the should and arms would eb handy but he is a clearance winner and has clean hands so could play a role for us. Not sure he and Ed Curnow will play heaps of AFL footy together.

Reply #8
Reckon Plowman could be a star! rate him really highly,. Greta size, beautiful side step, clean hands, marks well, good kick, good footy nous. Juts needs to stay on the park!

Sumner has all the tools to make the highest level.

Jaksch seems more timid than what I remember seeing at the Giants but again has all the tools and skills.

Phillips, like Gorringe, has aggression and is a massive unit so I'm willing to give these two lost of time.

Lamb has clean hands and loads of talent. is fitter and working hard so give him some time. I've always been a fan of his so am hoping it all comes together for him...and us.

Whiley would be a bonus. More bulk around the should and arms would eb handy but he is a clearance winner and has clean hands so could play a role for us. Not sure he and Ed Curnow will play heaps of AFL footy together.

Agree wholeheartedly Pratty. The others (other than Plowman) far more than "steak knives" imo.

All these guys (Phillips and Whiley excluded arguably) have some very decent pedigree.

Take Lamb, for example. Was taken  by Sydney at #21 in the 2010 draft.

Sure, mightn't have trained hard enough but hopefully the penny has dropped.....?

We'll see.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #9
For me it's too early and too hard to tell which players will and won't make it.
 I reckon if we can get 200 games out of these 6 players as a collective, it will have been a win.
If they don't then Boekhurst and Kerridge will both have to become super stars for us to come out in front for these particular trades. 
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #10
For me it's too early and too hard to tell which players will and won't make it.
 I reckon if we can get 200 games out of these 6 players as a collective, it will have been a win.
If they don't then Boekhurst and Kerridge will both have to become super stars for us to come out in front for these particular trades.

You've set the bar pretty low Amers.  I reckon at least one of them has to play 100 games.  Still, 200 games out of all six suggests that they would be depth players and we definitely need more depth.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
I think Boeky is our best hope thus far even though he didn't come from GWS, he was part of the deal. The rest are all real concerns ATM.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12
I wanted to keep our picks and I've seen nothing to change my mind. Most of these guys would have ended up on the GWS scrap heap by the end of next season.

Cannon fodder until some talent comes through the door but where there's life there's hope.

Reply #13
I wanted to keep our picks and I've seen nothing to change my mind. Most of these guys would have ended up on the GWS scrap heap by the end of next season.

Cannon fodder until some talent comes through the door but where there's life there's hope.
A bit harsh there, but it is the lads who have to prove that the pudding is worth eating.

Of the 2014 deal players, Jaksch is the most likely to make, but I really want to see some improvement this year.
Of the deal itself, we got Boekhorst, Jaksch and Whiley for one guy who has played less senior footy than any of our 3. While it may not have been the greatest deal ever, we don't look like losing from it.

Of the 2015 guys, I like Plowman. I think he could be a very good player, if he can stay on the park.
Phillips is the surprise to me, both in his size and athleticism and in his leap. We have always struggled against the Weagles when Nic Nat has been playing because of his leap. We couldn't counter it, and so got smashed in the midfield. Phillips could be a good weapon here. Like Hampson before him, he has a long way to go before he becomes a top ruckman, but he does have more tools than most and more likelihood of beating Nic Nat at his own game.
I haven't seen enough of Lamb or Sumner to really rate them, but their histories do not make me confident. But, as they start so far down, they could be huge pickups if they can come good. I just don't expect it.
The other part of that deal, Kerridge, looks like to be worth the effort. But one swallow does not a summer make.
Basically, we look to have done reasonably from this deal.

The 2014 deal does not look like it was inspired, more that the quality of the 2014 top picks doesn't look too good.
The 2015 deal looks a lot stronger as a deal.
But it is going to be years before we work out if we have really won here,
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
All of the 6 have a LOT to prove at this point. But Lamb looked good against the Hawks and Sumner and Plowman are yet to appear.

Jaksch has to become a marking forward - Justin Westhoff type. He's not big enough to be a backman.

Whiley - I really liked the look of him when he first turned up... now not so much. Physically not strong enough to play the role. Ed Curnow was absolutely horrific against Essendon - hacked the ball forward straight to bummers even when under little/no pressure - so there might be a spot there if he can find some confidence. Looks naturally short on confidence though.

Phillips - I really can't see him working out. Would love to be proved wrong but drops everything other than the most basic marks and fumbles a lot on the ground. Not tall enough to be just a tap ruckman... albeit this rating is based on 2 NAB cup games.