Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 23: Post Game Party: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 15311 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 23: Post Game Party: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #75
i would like to ask our coaching panel is  HOW do the opposition always seem seem to have an open forward line with space to lead  and ours is ALWAYS crowded it not only the swans games it is been happening all year ? I think we have to look at our forward coach and defensive game plan.

they piss fart around with the ball for 10 minutes chipping sideways and backwards from half back line then eventually get it to about 80 meters out then bang it in hoping for the best......
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #76
Levi Casboult finished 2nd in the league for contested marks - 4 behind dixon from Port, and equal with McGovern from west coast.

Docherty was also 2nd in rebound 50's - 15 behind Hurley.

Liam Jones was also 3rd in TOG% with 96.3% of gametime played. (1st - 97.9 Lynch (GC), 2nd - 97.2 Rance)

Reply #77
Levi Casboult finished 2nd in the league for contested marks - 4 behind dixon from Port, and equal with McGovern from west coast.

Docherty was also 2nd in rebound 50's - 15 behind Hurley.

Liam Jones was also 3rd in TOG% with 96.3% of gametime played. (1st - 97.9 Lynch (GC), 2nd - 97.2 Rance)

Have we had "metres gained"?

1-Docherty Carlton-11321metres
2-Brodie Smith Adelaide -11300
3-Dustin Martin Richmond -11039

Reply #78
Liam Jones 1% watch

:(
Liam had a tough night at the office. He received a bit of a football lesson from one of the great forwards. Unfortunately with Plowman, Marchbank, Silvagni and Rowe all unavailable it was a job he had to do with little assistance and little option for a switch. At the best he'll have learned a few things to work on and be ready for the next contest.

Given he was a bit preoccupied with his opponent he would probably be a bit down in his 1%'s this week

But No! ;) :D

15 for the game...the next best was Melican from the Swans with 8...the next best Carlton player was Williamson with 4

At the end of the regular season Jones leads AFL for 1%'s per game with an average of 11.
A minor stat no doubt....but we won something

We also won this :D
Kicks

1 Sam Docherty    460   
2 Dustin Martin            434   
3 Dylan Roberton    385   
4 Kade Simpson    377   
5 Andrew Gaff        371   
6 Zach Merrett        370   
7 Bryce Gibbs            362   
7 Bradley Hill        362   
9 Marc Murphy            360   
10 Heath Shaw        345   
..and this  ???

Kicks
Carlton 4965
Collingwood 4898
Essendon 4854

Do we kick too much  :-\

Thanks for that lods. Those 1% show that he pays attention to the small things that make a difference, and that he's unselfish. A team first, athletic, reborn AFL player who has a completely legitimate claim to some very decent scalps this season. I'm happy for him. Well done, Giant Slayer Jones.

And those kicking stats - well, I've touched on that elsewhere. I'd be very curious to know what % of those kicks went backwards or sideways.

Reply #79
I don't think one can blame Jones for Buddy's 10 goals.

He had no support defensively from the midfield - as per usual when our mids go missing they go TOTALLY missing and he had no help down back either.....

Buddy would have kicked 10 on anyone with such little support.

The second half belting was almost inevitable - the end of a long year for the kids and Sydney had a lot to play for....

Mention should be made that we had a lot of regular 22 guys out too - ACoS/Rowe, Marchbank, Plowman, Cripps and Curnow.

Take Kennedy and Hannebury out of their 22 and let's see how they go?

I'm not going to blame him because it takes a team to defend and sheer weight of numbers would have made it extremely tough, but for a bloke minding buddy he spent a lot of time nowhere near him.

That being said he joins a long list of defenders that buddy has pulled the pants down of.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80
I'm not going to blame him because it takes a team to defend and sheer weight of numbers would have made it extremely tough, but for a bloke minding buddy he spent a lot of time nowhere near him.

That being said he joins a long list of defenders that buddy has pulled the pants down of.

Jones played a few meters in front of Buddy firstly to give himself first chance to mark the ball, and secondly to block Buddy's run, and thirdly to minimize the chance of giving away a free by attempting to spoil over the shoulder, push in the back etc. One problem that emerges from this is that Jones was constantly looking around to see where Buddy was. Between ball watching, Buddy watching etc., in combination with glut of supply that Buddy received, he was on a hiding to nothing. I doubt Rance would've done better under the circumstances.

I think the strategy was sound enough. If I were a defender, I would much prefer playing in front of Buddy.

Reply #81
There's in front and thirty metres away.

He did the latter far too often to really be minding him properly.

Still it's a learning curve.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #82
The thing that has me wondering is what were the coaching group telling Jones, and others, as the night progressed...and was he/they following their advice/ instructions.

Reply #83
The thing that has me wondering is what were the coaching group telling Jones, and others, as the night progressed...and was he/they following their advice/ instructions.

Jones strikes me as someone who is very coachable - he seems like the type to follow orders and instructions.

At any rate, I'd like to see some footage of Franklin's 10 goals - my memory of watching the game is that Jones was close to him for most of them, but I could be wrong.

Reply #84
Jones strikes me as someone who is very coachable - he seems like the type to follow orders and instructions.

At any rate, I'd like to see some footage of Franklin's 10 goals - my memory of watching the game is that Jones was close to him for most of them, but I could be wrong.

Buddy was quicker and stronger....Jones is a big unit but Buddy is a beast and while not strong in the air he always seemed to have the drop on Jones who played from the front too often....
Jones needed help and another big player to help block Buddy....Plugger kicked ten on SOS...so to me its all part of Jones learning experience and a champ like Buddy is going to have those days and Jones did his best...Buddy would have kicked 15 on anyone else...

Reply #85
Buddy was quicker and stronger....Jones is a big unit but Buddy is a beast and while not strong in the air he always seemed to have the drop on Jones who played from the front too often....
Jones needed help and another big player to help block Buddy....Plugger kicked ten on SOS...so to me its all part of Jones learning experience and a champ like Buddy is going to have those days and Jones did his best...Buddy would have kicked 15 on anyone else...

Jones is effectively a first year player as a defender and it's no surprise that Buddy was able to work him over.  It would have been a different story if Rowe and/or ACOS was with Jones in the back six.

As you say EB, it's part of his learning experience and I doubt whether Buddy will kick ten next time they meet.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #86
We were missing some regulars in Marchbank and Plowman (Rowe/Silvagni) so some of the established structures were not there.
The fact that we were struggling further up the ground meant that there was always going to be plenty of opportunities for Franklin.
I'm just wondering how things were being dealt with in the box rather than being critical of Jones's efforts....but I guess that's something we'll never know.

Reply #87
We were missing some regulars in Marchbank and Plowman (Rowe/Silvagni) so some of the established structures were not there.
The fact that we were struggling further up the ground meant that there was always going to be plenty of opportunities for Franklin.
I'm just wondering how things were being dealt with in the box rather than being critical of Jones's efforts....but I guess that's something we'll never know.

I think the Box realised it wasnt going to be our day and Buddy was on fire...Bolton would know him well and just figured Jones would learn more by suffering a bit of pain and it
was always about learning once the Swans had the game on their terms..

Reply #88

I guess so. Unfortunately the right strategy doesn't always lead to the desired outcome. I reckon if Jones played from behind Buddy could have kicked 15.

No great shame having your colours lowered by Franklin having a day out, with no support.