Skip to main content
Topic: Goaltracker (Read 53130 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Goaltracker

Reply #196
Not surprised to hear that stat.

Can't say it matters really.

There is maybe two teams a week that score over 100 points.

No easy beats any more either.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #197
We have a problem with our midfield, even with a winning ruck we cant generate enough forward entries....dont have the list to play a high possession game either, too many poor decision makers
with poor execution skills...yes you are right when it does get forward we dont have the artillery to kick a winning score, only Wright could be classed as a reliable accurate kick and you could include Charlie Curnow as improving in that area but thats about it. Casboult is a good resting second ruck/forward but not a genuine KP Forward who can be relied upon....

This is a bit of a misconception.

We are not as bad as it appears when you break it down game by game.

5 times this year we have won the inside 50 count.
Bombers (by 22)
Dees (2)
Dees (3)
Suns (10)
Swans (4)

3 times we have lost it by 4 or under
Suns (-2)
Pies (-4)
Crows (-2)

7 times we have lost it by 5 or more
Tigers (-13)
Tigers (-21)
Port (-33)
Saints (-22)

GWS (-14)
Kangaroos (-9)
Dockers (-8)

Wins
Losses by under 3 goals
Losses by over 3 goals

Reply #198
But these numbers are purely quantitative, what about the quality of the entry?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #199
Officially our longest ever streak of NOT scoring 100 points in a game.

27 matches in a row and counting...

Can we admit we have a problem yet?

We are Carlton, We don't rebuild!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #200
This is a bit of a misconception.

We are not as bad as it appears when you break it down game by game.

5 times this year we have won the inside 50 count.
Bombers (by 22)
Dees (2)
Dees (3)
Suns (10)
Swans (4)

3 times we have lost it by 4 or under
Suns (-2)
Pies (-4)
Crows (-2)

7 times we have lost it by 5 or more
Tigers (-13)
Tigers (-21)
Port (-33)
Saints (-22)

GWS (-14)
Kangaroos (-9)
Dockers (-8)

Wins
Losses by under 3 goals
Losses by over 3 goals

Inside 50's we are second last
Clearances we are second last
Contested ball wins we are 11th
Disposal efficiency            14th

Our midfield is overrated, we struggle at the clearances and even when we do get the ball we are very ordinary with it, contested footy is another poor figure and while I accept the I50's can be be looked at game by game and made to look better if you look at the stats overall its not conducive to kicking goals or giving our forwards many decent opportunities..
Disposal efficiency is very poor given we all know the amount of keepings off we play and chipping the ball around.....
The midfield needs a lot of work IMO.....havent got Kruezers stats but I would say our clearances are probably inflated by his stats which makes our genuine mids efforts even worse..

Reply #201
The midfield needs a lot of work IMO.....havent got Kruezers stats but I would say our clearances are probably inflated by his stats which makes our genuine mids efforts even worse..

61 clearances and 42 inside 50s for Kreuzer in 2017 according to Footywire

Reply #202
After 16 Games

Goals 166 Behinds 146-1142 (points against- 1448)
Percentage 78.9%

2017(Target 224-224-1568)

Goals 170 Behinds 141-1161 (points against- 1411)
Percentage 82.3 %

Goalkickers after 16 games (Target 2016- Wright 22)

Casboult 24
Wright 23
Silvagni 15
Gibbs 14
Curnow 12

2016-Final figures after 22 rounds
Matthew Wright-22
Bryce Gibbs-18
Levi Casboult-18
Andrejs Everitt-17
Dennis Armfield-16

Reply #203
But these numbers are purely quantitative, what about the quality of the entry?

You are asking a different question.

He stated we don't get the ball inside 50 enough. I showed otherwise.

Reply #204
Our top 5 goal kickers are now 3 goals behind the top five of last year (assuming that the last year comparative is the whole year - Lods, can you confirm).

We have both a better attack (19pts) and defence (37pts) than this time last year.  9 goals better over 15 rounds isn't much.

Now that we are hit by injuries, it will be interesting to see if we fall away, like we did last year.

The ability we have to butcher the ball (not skill errors - not sure if our players actually have the skills) particularly into the forward line or is amazing.  I hope our delivery improves.  I can forgive the defenders making some bad errors, because they seem to be consistently under high pressure with a heavy workload, thanks to some of the tripe that happens up the ground.

Reply #205
Those goalkicking totals for 2016 are final figures. (22 rounds)
2017 are totals after 16 games
(I've added that clarification now)

Wright was our leading goalkicker last year with 22
Casboult and Wright have already gone past that total

Reply #206
Inside 50's we are second last
Clearances we are second last
Contested ball wins we are 11th
Disposal efficiency            14th

Our midfield is overrated, we struggle at the clearances and even when we do get the ball we are very ordinary with it, contested footy is another poor figure and while I accept the I50's can be be looked at game by game and made to look better if you look at the stats overall its not conducive to kicking goals or giving our forwards many decent opportunities..
Disposal efficiency is very poor given we all know the amount of keepings off we play and chipping the ball around.....

I'm not saying our midfield doesn't need help.

Its a chicken and egg type thing though.

Do we play the type of game we do, keepings off, because...
- we don't have the talent/nous in our forwardline to make position, and trap the ball in, so its swept away easily.
- we don't have the talent/nous in the midfield to deliver to our forward efficiency.

I'm also not so fussed on contested ball numbers because of the type of game we play. That stat would be better used in a game by game comparison also.

Stats for teams vary based on game plan. Ranked against the other 17 teams will show a trend, but ranking against opponent tells a more complete story.

For example, i haven't looked up the stats, but i'd suggest that Swans would be right up their in stoppage clearances despite having a poor start to the year, and missing Josh Kennedy for a few games. Reason...the style of play they play and the ground they play on. Leads to more congestion, stoppages and thus clearances.
In years past, Geelong willingly gave up clearances by putting extra blokes behind the ball and swooping on the quick kick from them. Not sure if that is still the case though.

Here is another stat for ya.
Same deal as above but expanded further.
On average, for the year we have a shot on goal (not including OOB) 44% of the time we get an inside 50.
Our opponent, has a shot on goal 46% of the time.

So in 100 entries inside 50, our opponent averages 2 more shots on goal compared to us. Now it could be argued that in that we'd kick the ball out on the full 2 more times out of a 100 than our opposition does.
Point being, with the amount of inside 50's we get, and the amount of shots on goal that generates. We are basically on a par with our opposition.

Reply #207
I50's mainly mean you have the ball roughly where you want it. It's not always the case that this automatically translates to a goal scoring opportunity, nor is it always the case that players are in optimum field position simply because the ball is inside 50.

Reply #208
If you check out AFL tables, and use I50's as the ranking method you will see that Collingwood (for example) is 4th for i50's.

Reply #209
@Paul....what is your point?

I've just got through explaining how stats can show a style of gameplan and (in this style at least) are best suiting to 'vs opponent' comparisons.

Your collingwood example is great. But they could lose the inside 50 count every week.
So should it be celebrated that they are 4th?

It is actually possible that a team who is last in inside 50's actually wins the inside 50 count every week too. ;)