Skip to main content
Topic: Goaltracker (Read 52682 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Goaltracker

Reply #210
@Paul....what is your point?

I've just got through explaining how stats can show a style of gameplan and (in this style at least) are best suiting to 'vs opponent' comparisons.

Your collingwood example is great. But they could lose the inside 50 count every week.
So should it be celebrated that they are 4th?

It is actually possible that a team who is last in inside 50's actually wins the inside 50 count every week too. ;)

The point I was making is that the I50 stat is more misleading than most, and requires a context more than most.

When you have forwards that struggle to keep the ball in F50 and apply defensive pressure, the ball comes out far too easily. In combination with this, we have a team that plays Bolton's bus, which means they are often struggling to make good field position to apply pressure, because they're too far down field, which doesn't help our forwards.

Reply #211
@Paul....what is your point?

I've just got through explaining how stats can show a style of gameplan and (in this style at least) are best suiting to 'vs opponent' comparisons.

Your collingwood example is great. But they could lose the inside 50 count every week.
So should it be celebrated that they are 4th?

It is actually possible that a team who is last in inside 50's actually wins the inside 50 count every week too. ;)

You wont win many games being last or close to last for Inside 50's and the same with clearances, add poor disposal efficiency(14th) ..good luck
being a forward in Navy Blue on that set of numbers...couple that with poor conversion(Matt Wright excepted) when we do get the ball down forward and its
tough to win. The game plan of defensively strangling the opposition and hoping to kick rebound goals is great in a learning phase when you are teaching basics and defensive techniques but obviously cant be retained long term.

Reply #212
You wont win many games being last or close to last for Inside 50's and the same with clearances, add poor disposal efficiency(14th) ..good luck
being a forward in Navy Blue on that set of numbers...couple that with poor conversion(Matt Wright excepted) when we do get the ball down forward and its
tough to win. The game plan of defensively strangling the opposition and hoping to kick rebound goals is great in a learning phase when you are teaching basics and defensive techniques but obviously cant be retained long term.

Its not that simple. Compare on a game by game comparison.

Reply #213
In 2014 Melbourne scored 1336 points for the year, in 2015 they scored 1573 points for the year, last year they scored 1944 points and this year they are on track to exceed this total. we are not scoring enough. We need to score one goal a quarter more and not have any blowiouts like the Port Adelaide game and we will be in the eight. It gets back to what Bolton was saying last year, "think Bamboo".

Reply #214
In 2014 Melbourne scored 1336 points for the year, in 2015 they scored 1573 points for the year, last year they scored 1944 points and this year they are on track to exceed this total. we are not scoring enough. We need to score one goal a quarter more and not have any blowiouts like the Port Adelaide game and we will be in the eight. It gets back to what Bolton was saying last year, "think Bamboo".

When we draft a Jesse Hogan type, we might very well start scoring these numbers.

Melbourne have a few advantages over us, and one is that they were so poor for so long, that they got a bit of a leg up from the AFL, AND had a whole raft of players that were high draft picks that started coming good.

The situations are not 100% comparable IMHO.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #215
Thryleon, I am not saying the situation at Melbourne is the same as Carlton's current situation, however, I was just showing a different recent case that could provide some insight to Carlton's  woes, rather than simply regurgitating gloom and doom. Additionally, we have Harry Mckay & Patrick Kerr coming thru and we have Charlie Curnow showing some very good signs. Maybe we should be looking at the potential of the future and not the past.

Reply #216
When we draft a Jesse Hogan type, we might very well start scoring these numbers.

Melbourne have a few advantages over us, and one is that they were so poor for so long, that they got a bit of a leg up from the AFL, AND had a whole raft of players that were high draft picks that started coming good.

The situations are not 100% comparable IMHO.

Nothing to do with A Jesse Hogan type....improve the midfield (and noting Gibbs and Murphy both have a tendency to not show up at times) and the scores will improve even organically.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #217
Nothing to do with A Jesse Hogan type....improve the midfield (and noting Gibbs and Murphy both have a tendency to not show up at times) and the scores will improve even organically.

x2...more/and decent entries and we will kick more goals, need to fastrack Mckay and Kerr so we have some more marking targets...get your favourite WAFL player and mine in Ben Saunders to add
some readymade goalkicking ability and we might move up the ladder.
I'd also get Sam Baulderstone from Norwood and get a readymade ruckman to play in the NB's and provide backup if Kruezer goes down....sick of the NB;s kids having to put up with a banana like Gorringe or a kid like Bolger doing the rucking...Korchek aint cutting it and needs to be cut.
SANFL's Baulderstone is the best ruckman outside the AFL IMO...26 knows his craft and has good skills, is a really nice kick of the ball.....would dominate the VFL and be  a great backup player IMO....Philips is a good footballer but gets injured too often and we need some reliable backup to help our young mids develop..

Reply #219
We probably need to find an experienced forward who can take the best defender whilst our younger guys develop, who is around?

Anyone we can offer a one or two year deal to who would attract good defenders?

Reply #220
Levi Casboult?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #221
Levi Casboult?

;D
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #222
We probably need to find an experienced forward who can take the best defender whilst our younger guys develop, who is around?

Anyone we can offer a one or two year deal to who would attract good defenders?

Does he attract good defenders?....
Serious question... because it's actually not something I have given a lot of attention to.
Does Levi attract the best defender/ second best each week and what is their impact on the game as a result.
I have a feeling he moves around a bit too much.

Reply #223
He gets the best defender and they usually keep him to 1 goal. When our defenders keep the opposition key forward to 1 goal we will see posts here saying Jones or Rowe gave player X a bath.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #224
Does Rance play on him when we play Richmond?