Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 17: Post Game Disinterested Dissections: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 27265 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 17: Post Game Disinterested Dissections: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #120
I liked the way we targeted Jordan Lewis  :)

See I thought it became a distraction at the expense of winning the game and also off sided the umpires, and that we may have over corrected this week.

I think our coach and team may have arrived to a similar conclusion as me too.

In any case, we will learn from that, and this week might be a game of "bruise free" footy given where Brisbane are coming from.

No side can cover half a dozen B and C graders.

Its true, and to go with that, I think we might have made too many changes to our "best 22" for last weeks game further upsetting the apple cart.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #121
T.Watson had a swipe at Carlton on 'Talking Footy' last night. We are apparently CLEARLY the main ringleaders for 'targeting' opposition star players when discussing off the ball niggling.  Bewildering !  I'm sure the Selwoods of the world don't lose sleep over the thought of a Bryce Gibbs nudge.

Never misses an opportunity to sink the boot into the old foe does old Timmy boy, no matter how misguided or hypocritical his accusations are. Essendon got away with 'negating' tactics during Sheedy/Hird era as Murphy & Greg Williams could attest. Don't worry Timmo...Woosha will be assembling his own squad of dirty snipers and nigglers for next year, once their current gameplan fizzles out. It's in their DNA !

Reply #122
if we're going to show how tough we are, I'd much prefer we did it the Swans way - playing tough, hard at it footy, head over the ball etc. Targeting kids (Mills) or nice guys (Ablett), cheap shots behind the play etc., is precisely the sort of thing we've been whinging about for ages.

Wasn't cheap shots, it was an attempt at intimidation, both at the contest as well as letting them know we are about. On both occasions it worked well. Ablett didn't have a great game against us.

Reply #123
Wasn't cheap shots, it was an attempt at intimidation, both at the contest as well as letting them know we are about. On both occasions it worked well. Ablett didn't have a great game against us.

No doubt there are people on this planet that are impressed by this. I know they're only 13, but think of the damage done.

Reply #124
No side can cover half a dozen B and C graders.
Or too many kids who can't get near it at this point of their development.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #125
The intimidation stuff worked vs Ablett but fell over vs Lewis who seemed to be able to handle it better I guess because thats a factor of his game too...problem was in the Melbourne game the umps seemed to get fed up up with it and started paying silly frees against us...

I remember when Ryan Crowley was king of close tagging/pinching/pushing etc and those tactics worked for a while until a few of the big names like Harvey/Ablett/coaches started to complain and I think the AFL decided it wasnt a great look and Crowley got no love from the umps at all and was even getting whacked behind play himself and it was ignored. These things go in cycles and I think we need to learn from the Melbourne game that there is a limit and when the umps have had enough we need to back off.
Martin getting off also shows the big stars have a bit of licence to hit back and that no name taggers are going to be fair game...

Reply #126
Massively overblown, it's not like players are getting king hit off the ball (except for Jed Lamb!).

Every team does the bumping/pushing/shoving stuff... including Sydney... umpires should just pay a free kick if it goes to far. It is usually done to put specific players off their game.

Lewis a slightly different case - he did whack Cripps earlier in the year and showed zero remorse - absolutely should have been given a tough time. He had the last laugh... that's footy.

If the situation was reversed Lewis would do the same thing.

Reply #127
Massively overblown, it's not like players are getting king hit off the ball (except for Jed Lamb!).

Every team does the bumping/pushing/shoving stuff... including Sydney... umpires should just pay a free kick if it goes to far. It is usually done to put specific players off their game.

Lewis a slightly different case - he did whack Cripps earlier in the year and showed zero remorse - absolutely should have been given a tough time. He had the last laugh... that's footy.

If the situation was reversed Lewis would do the same thing.

Lewis is a more of a whack them once type player rather than niggle all day, think he is too old for that stuff ie when he clobbered Goldstein...be interested to see if Nick Robertson from Brisbane gets another job this week vs Gibbs, Murphy etc. Think he fancies himself as a tough guy , not sure our blokes have the same capabilities as Dusty to release some of that pressure...

Reply #128
Lewis is a more of a whack them once type player rather than niggle all day, think he is too old for that stuff ie when he clobbered Goldstein...be interested to see if Nick Robertson from Brisbane gets another job this week vs Gibbs, Murphy etc. Think he fancies himself as a tough guy , not sure our blokes have the same capabilities as Dusty to release some of that pressure...

I think he'd have got Cripps, but I doubt they'll need to tag us much at all. Better to keep Gibbs and Murphy working on the inside and leave them in there giving the ball to those who only burn it!

If they tag them too much BB might give them a rest on a flank or wing and improve our ball use!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
See I thought it became a distraction at the expense of winning the game and also off sided the umpires, and that we may have over corrected this week.

I think our coach and team may have arrived to a similar conclusion as me too.

In any case, we will learn from that, and this week might be a game of "bruise free" footy given where Brisbane are coming from.

Its true, and to go with that, I think we might have made too many changes to our "best 22" for last weeks game further upsetting the apple cart.

I thought the treatment of Lewis was measured and well within the rules.  Docherty even received a free kick for his bone-jarring tackle on him.  Of course, the pressure went off Lewis to some extent when Cripps was injured.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #130
I don't think our mental and physical hardness is any longer an issue, we lost against Melbourne because Cripps was out of the game before half time and we lost last weekend because we had an average team on the park.
We played both games out until the bell, the Melbourne loss was actually a very good effort and our lack of skilled players told against Footscray.
We'll be much better with a full list but we badly need to build our depth, having to select players who clearly aren't up to it is embarassing.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #131
No doubt there are people on this planet that are impressed by this. I know they're only 13, but think of the damage done.

There was nothing untoward, unlike what happened to Lamb, and what Bugg did to Mills. Huge difference.

Reply #132
There was nothing untoward, unlike what happened to Lamb, and what Bugg did to Mills. Huge difference.

We should concentrate on building our skill level, our depth, our midfield and our forward line rather than focusing on faux toughness. If Bolton thought it was such a grand idea, we'd still be doing it.

Reply #133
We should concentrate on building our skill level, our depth, our midfield and our forward line rather than focusing on faux toughness. If Bolton thought it was such a grand idea, we'd still be doing it.

We are at times. Occasionally you know who you can target.

Reply #134

Think he got rubbed out?

But you were right earlier - umpires will be watching him pretty closely in future.