Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 17: Post Game Disinterested Dissections: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 27432 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 17: Post Game Disinterested Disections: Carlton vs Weastern Bulldogs

Reply #90
What did people think of Byrnes game?

Also - Matty Wright - for an overall crap game by the club, his Goal kicking is just excellent

I thought Byrne looked good in bursts but clearly lacked a run, he is obviously capable at AFL level if he can get on the park but I fear time is running out for both him and Sheehan.

Wright is a 24x7 footballer and I think we need another 4 or 5 like that, players of work rate and attitude with reliable skills not the Wright size or speed, rather than a single $1M player.

FWIW, I thought Lamb looked much better, obviously that Bachar hit has flicked a switch and he's no longer going to be somebodies bitch! He's realised that in AFL being fair means being roadkill!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Yes indeed. They were two howlers. Then again, that's the same number of errors that are in the title of this thread.  Thought he did all right after that.

:)) :)) :)) there probably is an explanation though, your one s dissection is not quite so severe... and the Western Bulldogs are still in Hawaii partying...  ;) ;) ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #92

Also - Matty Wright - for an overall crap game by the club, his Goal kicking is just excellent

Byrne showed why the club recently signed him for a further two years, he beat Bontempelli one on one in a contest and that was the only time any of our players managed the feat for the day.
He's a rare talent, keeping in mind that yesterday was only his 13th senior game.
Wright is an honest foot soldier and well worth his place on the list, but we desperately need another small forward or two. 
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #93
You wouldn't be saying that if you'd watched the VFL on Saturday.
Pickett took a big hanger but did almost nothing else, Macredie had a bag kicked on him and Harry barely touched the ball in the first half although he was marginally better after he was swung into the ruck after half time.
Sumner, Buckley, Boekhorst and to a lesser extent Graham, Kerridge and Lamb aren't good enough for senior AFL football but the cupboard is pretty bare with Cripps, Curnow, Thomas and Cunningham unavailable.
There's no alternative to Casboult, we're stuck with him for the immediate future although even Jaksch could provide more.
If all we're looking at is winning games then we'll pick Armfield, Smedts and Palmer next week, and Sheehan shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.
Sumner, Buckley and Boekhorst can play out the season in the VFL then pack their bags for all I care.
I agree with you totally that the VFL form doesn't warrant selection - but it's a 'lesser of 2 evils' argument in my mind. With the VFL side undermanned and getting pumped what development are the young guys with some 'potential' going to get?? I just don't see the point of playing guys over the next 6 weeks who aren't going to be some chance of being in the side come rd1 2018. Harry, Macreadie, Smedts and Pickett are probably the only fit senior listed players who fit that bill right now.

The arguments on the pro's and con's for H are difficult to judge from afar - but at the moment I would take the risk and play him to see if with better players around him he can lift. The fact that the MC aren't prepared to give him a game given our current situation is ringing alarm bells for me about where they think he is at, and that is a really big concern given he is the only answer we have right now to our woeful forward line. 

Re: Rd 17: Post Game Disinterested Dissections: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #94
I reckon Graham has shown enough that he is just not good enough. If it were up to me, he wouldnt be getting another senior game.

Boekhurst was better on Sunday than I have ever seen him, but I don't think he has it in him. I would continue playing him this season to see whether the game on the weekend was an aberration, or if he might have learned something in the 2s that could see him as an adequate backup for another season.

I think Lamb can make it. He puts himself in good positions and uses the ball reasonably well. He is no elite player, but for where we are he makes an adequate back up player.

Similar with Sumner, I'd persevere a bit longer. We don't have a lot of depth and he can come in and fill a position adequately.

I am not a good enough judge for Byrne... He does seem to have something about him, but my 2 reservations would be
1. Is his body up to it, when is bad luck bad protoplasm as we say in the medical trade.
2. I think some of the Irish (and other international players) struggle with not having grown up with the game, in terms of reading the play.

Reply #95
@Deags.

Some good ball users, players who make fast, correct decisions and can hit targets, will make the likes of Lamb
and Silvagni look a lot better for the very reasons you state. They work hard to get to the right positions, but they are not rewarded due to poor disposals.

Get someone who can quickly hit them by foot, and they'll have extra time and space to use the ball. At the moment they are always disposing of the ball under immediate pressure.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
Byrne showed why the club recently signed him for a further two years, he beat Bontempelli one on one in a contest and that was the only time any of our players managed the feat for the day.
He's a rare talent, keeping in mind that yesterday was only his 13th senior game.
Wright is an honest foot soldier and well worth his place on the list, but we desperately need another small forward or two.

We need to get Jared Pickett fit and firing. And interested....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #97
With the injury toll mounting playing VFL won't be the same learning experience as earlier in the year when players were surrounded by a more mature group.
In fact it's probably better for their development that the younger group get an understanding of what's expected at senior level before they launch into a pre-season.
One last look at some of the  fringe players before the slicing and dicing.

Time to put the lid on season 2017 and start "cooking" for 2018....and hope that we have a better chef than we had the last lot we cooked.

Reply #98
@Deags.

Some good ball users, players who make fast, correct decisions and can hit targets, will make the likes of Lamb
and Silvagni look a lot better for the very reasons you state. They work hard to get to the right positions, but they are not rewarded due to poor disposals.

Get someone who can quickly hit them by foot, and they'll have extra time and space to use the ball. At the moment they are always disposing of the ball under immediate pressure.

Totally agree re Silvagni. His football brain is light years ahead of any of our other forwards. He works and works, and just instinctively knows where to put himself... But alas doesn't get rewarded. If he could take a leaf out of Cripps book and get his pace "up to pace" so to speak, and we could get some decent delivery he could be anything.

Reply #99
Totally agree re Silvagni. His football brain is light years ahead of any of our other forwards. He works and works, and just instinctively knows where to put himself... But alas doesn't get rewarded. If he could take a leaf out of Cripps book and get his pace "up to pace" so to speak, and we could get some decent delivery he could be anything.

The kid isn't as slow as people think, his gate makes him look like he is just meandering a bit like his old man or The Hyphen, but he covers ground at a good rate.

However I agree, if he can work on his pace/power like Cripps has he'll see a massive benefit to his game.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
I am not a good enough judge for Byrne... He does seem to have something about him, but my 2 reservations would be
1. Is his body up to it, when is bad luck bad protoplasm as we say in the medical trade.
2. I think some of the Irish (and other international players) struggle with not having grown up with the game, in terms of reading the play.

There are exceptions, Kennelly and Tuohy being the most recent, Tuohy is on track for AA selection this season.
Byrne was an outstanding Gaelic footballer, from memory the youngest ever to be selected in the all Ireland side, and he's shown enough in his dozen or so games to be confident that he's handled the transition.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #101

Byrne has talent, its staying on the park that is going to be his problem.....
Wright is the best kick for goal in the team...a 12 month extension only was a tad shabby offer IMO unless Wright is happy with that arrangement...

Reply #102
We need to get Jared Pickett fit and firing. And interested....

It's hard to get enthusiastic about Pickett, he seems to flash in and out of the game as he feels like it and tries to hit the highlight reel with every second possession, not that he gets many.

Reply #103
Wright is the best kick for goal in the team...a 12 month extension only was a tad shabby offer IMO unless Wright is happy with that arrangement...

Realistically he wouldn't get any better offers, but he's worth two years to us.

Reply #104

Agree, can lay a tackle, has some decent endurance, has a bit of mongrel, is still one of our leading goal kickers, and can kick straight. Not much more you can expect from a small forward. One can only marvel at the Crows depth if they let someone like him go.

Once you get past the obligatory Murph, Gibbs, Cripps, and Krooz, he would have to be one of the first picked thereafter.