Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 15485 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #15
WE WILL WIN !!!!   WE HAVE TO!!!!!!     I am spending a bit of coin to fly up with the missus, see the game and stay a week.  I will be REALLY PI55ED OFF if we lose.  >:D  >:D  >:D

Reply #16
I agree... but Bolton would argue he is teaching defensive basics and that he wants his defense to operate as a team and his midfielders also to get back, occupy space and complete the zone.
When he is satisfied that the playing group have mastered the basics I would expect him to go to a more hybrid model and then when he has the list he wants he would adopt a more attacking philosophy.
Dont think we will ever get to the GWS full on running attack down the corridor model as Bolton strikes me as a more conservative old school coach who values a disciplined defensive unit as his best weapon..

I like those points. It is IMO, an interesting discussion. DJC reckons that the Box Hill Hawks under Bolton were a high scoring team, so it seems as though he's capable. But yes, he does seem a little old school. If he can get us playing and scoring like the Pies circa 2010-2011 (as an example of another old school coach), I for one will be very happy.

Reply #17
Keepings off at either end requires a level of skill, we have too many poor decision makers/kickers to get cute with the ball....Weitering kicking short across goal being an example.

Get 'cute' ?

We are taking the higher % options. That is the opposite of getting cute.
We don't have the skill to get cute.

Weiterings kick was terrible, but the exception not the rule. Every team has 1 of them a week, perhaps not as bad as that, but same end result at least.

We are focussing on defense so it becomes second nature.
It takes a team to defend but an individual can kick a goal.

Get the structures, culture and habits correct to build a solid team defence, and then sprinkle in a few x-factors down the track to assist in the attacking side of things.
Someone like Pickett for example could be that x-factor. Even Boeky could come into his own with a better team. Allow him to be the outside run, carry and create player.
We could always re-draft Yarran.  ;)

Of course, we still need a target or 3 to kick too, but i've done that to death.

Reply #18
Keepings off at either end requires a level of skill, we have too many poor decision makers/kickers to get cute with the ball....Weitering kicking short across goal being an example.

He is the best kick in the team.
Why does he take that option?
Why was it not 50

Reply #19
I like those points. It is IMO, an interesting discussion. DJC reckons that the Box Hill Hawks under Bolton were a high scoring team, so it seems as though he's capable. But yes, he does seem a little old school. If he can get us playing and scoring like the Pies circa 2010-2011 (as an example of another old school coach), I for one will be very happy.

In 2009 Bolton coached the Box Hill Hawks to a semi-final loss against Port Melbourne 19.10.124 to 19.14.128.  Perhaps losing a shoot-out final has made him a little gun-shy  :-\

No, I'm convinced that our defensive style is simply part of the work in progress.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
Get 'cute' ?

We are taking the higher % options. That is the opposite of getting cute.
We don't have the skill to get cute.

Weiterings kick was terrible, but the exception not the rule. Every team has 1 of them a week, perhaps not as bad as that, but same end result at least.

We are focussing on defense so it becomes second nature.
It takes a team to defend but an individual can kick a goal.

Get the structures, culture and habits correct to build a solid team defence, and then sprinkle in a few x-factors down the track to assist in the attacking side of things.
Someone like Pickett for example could be that x-factor. Even Boeky could come into his own with a better team. Allow him to be the outside run, carry and create player.
We could always re-draft Yarran.  ;)

Of course, we still need a target or 3 to kick too, but i've done that to death.

Getting cute is a dinky 15m kick across goal instead of playing it safe...you miss with the kick and its a goal....the higher percentage safe option is the long kick along the boundary...defense 101.
In one match recently we had the nice option of Charlie Curnow pushing up on one back flank and Weitering on the other back flank to kick to and it worked really well....they took several marks and we got the ball out of the danger zone easily.
We kick short way too often and like all poor teams we execute poorly more often and get the ball picked off, gifting goals is one of our problems...
We need decent good kicking mids to hit up those 3 targets of yours....

Reply #21
I like the possession game but sling shot when required . We just dont have the cattle to play the Brett Ratten run and gun football. Which made us flag favourites early 2012 before injuries destroyed our season. We had Eddie Betts and Garlett kicking 80 goals between them and Waite kicking another 40. need to get depth in this midfield this off season and hopefully this will be our third and final time going to the draft as of next year I am hoping we go for A graders to plug gaps be it Key forward, Inside Mid, Small Forward whatever we need.

Reply #22
Flag favourites after round 3 and playing no one. All the good sides beat us that year. We haven't been a contender since the year 2000.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #23
Flag favourites after round 3 and playing no one. All the good sides beat us that year. We haven't been a contender since the year 2000.

It was a patchy season - we beat the side that finished 4th, and were capable of pumping sides by 10+ goals. Then there's the other side of the coin.

It's not contenders or bust. That era is yet to be bettered, not by the triple premiership coach with 30 years in the game, and not, to date, by the new age wunderkind.

Reply #24
Wrong year oops
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #25
I think that sustained success, especially when basically starting from scratch, comes by getting your defence right, and then once it is solid, you can work on offence.

The teams that stay at the top have done it this way. The teams that have a good year and fade away are the ones who don't.
I like it. I think it shows we aren't taking short cuts this time.

Reply #26
Getting cute is a dinky 15m kick across goal instead of playing it safe...you miss with the kick and its a goal....the higher percentage safe option is the long kick along the boundary...defense 101.
In one match recently we had the nice option of Charlie Curnow pushing up on one back flank and Weitering on the other back flank to kick to and it worked really well....they took several marks and we got the ball out of the danger zone easily.
We kick short way too often and like all poor teams we execute poorly more often and get the ball picked off, gifting goals is one of our problems...
We need decent good kicking mids to hit up those 3 targets of yours....

Higher % safe option.

If you break it down, you are more likely to have a goal kicked against you by going long down the line than sideways across goal. Not immediately, but overall.

How many kicks across goal occur before 1 misses like Wieterings? That might occur once out of 100 kicks. There is always a free man running sideways to kick to. It is a high % option that comes off more than any other kick.

Now the alternative, long down the boundary.
50-50 option at best.

What happens to the 50% chance that doesn't go our way, a lot of that comes back at us. If only 5% results in a shot on goal, it is still 5 times more likely to get a shot on goal than the across goal kick.

The higher % option is to maintain possession.

Reply #27
Maintaining possession for more than 2 minutes is pretty much impossible. I know you've watched many games of footy - how many modern day teams can hold continuous possession for more  than 2 minutes ? The ball gets to an "in dispute" situation fairly quickly. A tackle, mis kick, out of bounds, goal, behind etc. are all times when you must fight for the ball and regain possession somehow. We don't have the luxury of dicking around with the ball playing keepings off for 1 minute in our back half, because when the inevitable turnover occurs, it's in a bad field position for us, and gives the opposition too much advantage. We also don't have many good tacklers or many strong mids who can get the ball back quickly.

Teams like the Swans have no fear of contested ball, because their terrific midfield will win more in dispute situations than they lose. We don't have that luxury, which is why i advocate faster ball movement towards goal. At least when the turnover occurs, it gives the opposition some work to do get it further up the ground.

Reply #28
I am actually surprised by some of these comments.
For most of the year we've been good, and praised by commentators for our ability yo remain calm, patient, and move the ball out of our backline. Our ability to switch play from one side of the ground to the other has been a standout for me this year.

Reply #29
Higher % safe option.

If you break it down, you are more likely to have a goal kicked against you by going long down the line than sideways across goal. Not immediately, but overall.

How many kicks across goal occur before 1 misses like Wieterings? That might occur once out of 100 kicks. There is always a free man running sideways to kick to. It is a high % option that comes off more than any other kick.

Now the alternative, long down the boundary.
50-50 option at best.

What happens to the 50% chance that doesn't go our way, a lot of that comes back at us. If only 5% results in a shot on goal, it is still 5 times more likely to get a shot on goal than the across goal kick.

The higher % option is to maintain possession.

I'll agree to disagree...the more times you over possess the ball in the backline the more chance you have of turning it over IMO....