Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 15490 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Pre Game Premonitions: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #30
don't sweat it deags. Just a bunch of sad lonely old men with their own opinions and perspectives.

Reply #31
I wont, Im just as sad and lonely.

Reply #32
I'll agree to disagree...the more times you over possess the ball in the backline the more chance you have of turning it over IMO....

Realistically everyone is right and everyone's wrong too.

There is no safe option,  but the one that is highest percentage of working in your favour.

That's why you play the percentages.

Sometimes the percentage play is maintaining possession and most sides will actually let you, because they're concerned with keeping you out of their defence.  The Bulldogs switched to a full court press against us, which made possession in defence dangerous.  

Our boys will watch the tape and have to figure out a strategy to counter this next time.  Malthouses boundary plan is probably the option in this circumstance because the dogs set-up to press forward and own the corridor.

This is why people who blanket game plans as being out dated should be ignored.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
Good post Thry.

Reply #34
At the end of the day , the game plan will change as level of experience and skill set changes , with the wholesale  changes possible still to have happen again this year, this will take time for players to settle into position & work together as cohesive unit

Reply #35
[move][/move]

I think next year will be important year for Bolts and his team.  If we start using the corridor more and score, then all good.  That will mean that he was indeed developing the defensive aspect first.  Without Casbolt, we actually might be better up forward as we can develop some players with better leading pattern talent.  Our delivery into the forward line is awful at the moment though.  Culprits like Graham, Kerridge and co. don't help this.  If we continue into 2019 averaging such a low goal ratio, then I believe he will fax the axe like his predecessors.  This is not good for our club as we seem to continue to turn over coaches.

Reply #36
Good post Thry.

No worries. Im a firm believer that a game plan should be fluid enough to be horses for courses.

When people say that the game plan is fine but the execution of it was lacking, they misunderstand that the problem isn't the game plan, its the game plan at that point in time.

When players are only taught to play "one way" they cannot adapt to changing situations, i.e. opponents nullifying a game plan.

When People say the coach should be able to counter this on game day, realistically the coach can only tell players to do what he has PREPARED them to do.

On game day, the players ability to feel their way through a match is going to dictate what happens more than any coach.  He can watch it, and tell someone about something thats happening, but all the good sides are very good at sensing the momentum, and what is working and what isnt.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #37
CARLTON'S EXTENDED SQUAD:

Backs   20. Lachie Plowman   14. Liam Jones   15. Sam Docherty
Half-backs   26. Harrison Macreadie   23. Jacob Weitering   6. Kade Simpson
Centreline   46. Matthew Wright   4. Bryce Gibbs 39. Dale Thomas
Half-forwards   1. Jack Silvagni   41. Levi Casboult 13. Jed Lamb
Forwards   11. Sam Kerridge   30. Charlie Curnow 25. Zac Fisher
Followers   8. Matthew Kreuzer 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton 3. Marc Murphy (C)
Interchange from:   27. Dennis Armfield 12. Blaine Boekhorst 28. David Cuningham
32. Nick Graham 10. Harry McKay 16. Billie Smedts
31. Tom Williamson
In: Thomas, Armfield, Smedts, Cuningham, Williamson, Macreadie, McKay

Out: A.Silvagni (knee), Buckley (hamstring), Sumner (omitted), Byrne (groin)

Reply #38
Fingers crossed that H finally gets a gig.

You'd think that the I/C would be Cuningham, Williamson, McKay and Graham (Emerg: Armfield, Boekhorst & Smedts?).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39

You'd think that the I/C would be Cuningham, Williamson, McKay and Graham (Emerg: Armfield, Boekhorst & Smedts?).

My thoughts too.

Reply #40

I hope so!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #41

Brisbane might be an easier gig  for HMc with no real standout star defenders....I want to see him play...

Reply #42

3rd time lucky ?   they couldn't do it again surely...

even if his form doesn't warrant it they've got to throw him and see how he goes. Road Trip with the boys will be a great experience for him.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #43
Sumner has had more than enough chances.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #44
Sumner has had more than enough chances.
Last week may have been the straw that breaks Sumner's back. We needed a big effort and he delivered nothing. Not surprised at all to see him dropped. I can't see him getting a game again.
Then again, funnier things have happened, but I wouldn't be playing him until he got 20+ possessions in the VFL. I don't know that he has ever done that.

With only a few rounds to go, the probability of the MC selecting a few speculative selections is on the cards, especially with the injury problems we have. Dennis will have at least 1 farewell game, depending on how he plays. Jaksch might get a game to see if we can interest some team in him at trade time.
Live Long and Prosper!