Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Post Game Pandemonium: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 25528 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Post Game Pandemonium: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #120
It was terrible.  Many times I rose to my feet to question a lack of a decision in Carlton's favour and I only recall two occasions where Lions supporters did the same.  Yet they rose to their feet for every goal they scored.  The lack of AFL news up here is staggering.  We certainly haven't won the hearts and minds of the locals.  The Gary Pert decision made the seventh back page of today's paper and that included the Toby Greene suspension.  I am guessing that it was front or back page in Victoria - just because of the Collingwood prejudice. There is no other AFL news.  I have had to resort to the internet for anything else pertaining to AFL.  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D

Just off topic for a bit...I'm finding exactly the opposite here in Wollongong.
This is about as Rugby League territory as it gets...the sports section is about 6-8 pages but this year the AFL coverage in the local Mercury has usually run to a double page spread with a news story from about five or six clubs each day.

Reply #121
To all those Gibbs and Murphy critics out there complaining about their last game.

The reality and reason is dead simple, list depth or the lack of it.

Cripps and Curnow are two of only a handful of viable mids we have and they are gone, that means it's now way too easy for opposition clubs to sit on our better players. The lack of depth creates this situation, not the ability of the players!

We had a very similar situation when Murphy went out last season. Despite continuing to rack up stats Gibbs and Cripps looked ineffective, slow and wasteful later in the season. Now with Cripps and Curnow out, Murphy and Gibbs look much the same.

When they are all available and in, we look 500% better!

It's a similar situation we've had all season with Kreuzer pretty much rucking solo, he gains control so the opposition put on the brakes and then take over when Casboult rucks. It means Kreuzer gets a power of possession without delivering much influence!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122
Maybe.

However most of Murphys possessions when he was clear, were ineffectual.

Reply #123
Maybe.

However most of Murphys possessions when he was clear, were ineffectual.

That is a confusion of cause and effect, if Cripps and Curnow were playing Murphy and Gibbs become effective at making space and becoming viable targets which then frees up others. The lack of depth has a ripple effect right across the field, it's easier to sit on a limited available number of stars, therefore it's easier to cover their potential targets even if they win the ball.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #124
That is a confusion of cause and effect, if Cripps and Curnow were playing Murphy and Gibbs become effective at making space and becoming viable targets which then frees up others. The lack of depth has a ripple effect right across the field, it's easier to sit on a limited available number of stars, therefore it's easier to cover their potential targets even if they win the ball.
The lack of depth is the killer at the moment. Time and good recruiting will fix this, but that doesn't mean we are likely to enjoy things in the mean time.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #125
The lack of depth is the killer at the moment. Time and good recruiting will fix this, but that doesn't mean we are likely to enjoy things in the mean time.

Crash, it's my biggest concern about the crippling Kelly deal proposals. GWS know good and well that to lose Kelly they must make his destination club pay a heavy price or else GWS go backwards!

To get Kelly it seems many conclude we need to offload someone like Gibbs or Murphy, maybe even Cripps(Lord help us!)! In that circumstance Kelly would be an "Instead Of...." player rather than an "In Addition To...." player.

I think we need "In Addition To...." players far, far more than we need "Instead Of...." players.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #126

To get Kelly it seems many conclude we need to offload someone like Gibbs or Murphy, maybe even Cripps(Lord help us!)! In that circumstance Kelly would be an "Instead Of...." player rather than an "In Addition To...." player.

I think we need "In Addition To...." players far, far more than we need "Instead Of...." players.

Agreed - there is a lot of banging on about trading Gibbs and getting Kelly in.......... IMO that wont make us any better... Keeping what we've got and adding to it is what we need.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #127

Agreed - there is a lot of banging on about trading Gibbs and getting Kelly in.......... IMO that wont make us any better... Keeping what we've got and adding to it is what we need.

Further it defeats the purpose of getting Kelly if we make GWS much stronger in the process. If things go to plan for the AFL it seems GWS are going to be every other AFL clubs benchmark opponent over the next decade. Why bother building a list just to come 2nd?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128
Further it defeats the purpose of getting Kelly if we make GWS much stronger in the process. If things go to plan for the AFL it seems GWS are going to be every other AFL clubs benchmark opponent over the next decade. Why bother building a list just to come 2nd?

The point is (presumably) Gibbs wants to go ad we hold the cards NOW.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #129
The point is (presumably) Gibbs wants to go ad we hold the cards NOW.

My argument is that if Gibbs goes, and we get value for him, we should be able to turn that into at least two or maybe even three decent depth players not spend it all on just one messiah!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130
I'd wait and see if the Crows still want Gibbs.......I also remain unconvinced that Riccuito will give ground and trade anything decent given his stance last season.
Think we need to have some alternate plans to trade in some talent just in case both Gibbs being traded doesnt happen and any Casboult compo pick doesnt give us much...

Reply #131
My argument is that if Gibbs goes, and we get value for him, we should be able to turn that into at least two or maybe even three decent depth players not spend it all on just one messiah!

Absolutely.

Gaz jnr?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #132
Gaz jnr?
I'd take him for a year at the right price. I simply can't see it happening. GC will want too much and Ablett will want too much.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #133
I'd wait and see if the Crows still want Gibbs.......I also remain unconvinced that Riccuito will give ground and trade anything decent given his stance last season.
Think we need to have some alternate plans to trade in some talent just in case both Gibbs being traded doesnt happen and any Casboult compo pick doesnt give us much...

I agree EB1, I think many are way overconfident on the potential Gibbs deal and the Casboult price. Given the fortunes and form of potential suitors, I suspect they are both less valuable in 2018 than they were in 2017.

I would think Casboult suitors would be switching serious attention to Mitch McGovern, who looks capable at either end of the ground and appears every bit as effective in contested marking.

I think Adelaide would now be hell bent of keeping and developing the Crouch brothers, so I am not sure Gibbs is such a good fit anymore! If I had to pick a club that could really benefit from gaining Gibbs, it would be Geelong, but they have nothing to trade!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #134
I agree EB1, I think many are way overconfident on the potential Gibbs deal and the Casboult price. Given the fortunes and form of potential suitors, I suspect they are both less valuable in 2018 than they were in 2017.

I would think Casboult suitors would be switching serious attention to Mitch McGovern, who looks capable at either end of the ground and appears every bit as effective in contested marking.

I think Adelaide would now be hell bent of keeping and developing the Crouch brothers, so I am not sure Gibbs is such a good fit anymore!

Mitch is a lightweight (literally).

A 3rd tall at best, checked his height lately?

Gibbs....Crouch....hmmm.
Finals, then 4 in a row!