Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Round 6: Carlton vs Melbnourne at Ikon Park (Read 5184 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW Round 6: Carlton vs Melbnourne at Ikon Park

Our first day match of the year IIRC.
Sunday 430pm @ Ikon.

Can the girls bounce back?

B: G.Pound 6, K.Gillespie-Jones 5, B.Kennedy 23
HB: M.Gay 8, D.Hardiman 31, T.Lucas-Rodd 18
C: J.Hosking 11
HF: N.Stevens 21, T.Harris 22, M.Keryk 4
F: K.Harrington 9, A.Downie 30, S.Hosking 10
Foll: B.Moody 16, S.Audley 26, D.Vescio 3
I/C: T.Cochrane 15, N.Plane 32, K.Loynes 2, S.Li 35, L.Attard 14, C.Gee 19, S.Last 7

In: J.Hosking, M.Keryk, T.Cochrane, N.Plane, L.Attard, S.Last
Out: R.Hicks (rested), L.Brazzale (injured), L.Arnell (injured), C.Webb (rested)

Happy with Jess and Keryk back.
Good to see Attard finally getting a game.
Brazzalle and Arnell both injured again is disappointing.
Hicks has had a rough trot and i would've dropped her instead of Jess last week.
Webb out won't phase us.

Interesting to note that despite an article about Bianca Jakobbson during the week coming up against her old side, she is the only out at this stage, injured. Thats a big plus for us.

Re: AFLW Round 6: Carlton vs Melbnourne at Ikon Park

Reply #1
Losing Brazzalle and Arnell won’t help our cause.

I thought Jess was rested last week rather than being dropped. 

I understand the need to manage the players’ workloads, particularly those coming off long term injuries, but is it really necessary to rest players in such a short season?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
Losing Brazzalle and Arnell won’t help our cause.

I thought Jess was rested last week rather than being dropped. 

I understand the need to manage the players’ workloads, particularly those coming off long term injuries, but is it really necessary to rest players in such a short season?

Jess was 'rested' last week.

2 girls are 'rested' this week.

It seems every girl who is an out is either 'rested' or 'injured'.

Who was the last person to be dropped?

Reply #3
Jess was 'rested' last week.

2 girls are 'rested' this week.

It seems every girl who is an out is either 'rested' or 'injured'.

Who was the last person to be dropped?

I'm not going to go through all of the team selections but ...

Arnell dropped.

OUT: Arnell, Plane, Gillespie-Jones (all omitted)

I don't know whether "rested" is a euphemism for "dropped/omitted" but, if it is, it is a recent development.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
Brazzalle and Arnell both injured again is disappointing.

Arnell is a compulsory out due to concussion.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
We've managed to work our way from top of the ladder to the bottom within a few weeks. That takes some doing..lol.

We did have a game in hand but we play Melbourne.

Reply #6
We've managed to work our way from top of the ladder to the bottom within a few weeks. That takes some doing..lol.

We did have a game in hand but we play Melbourne.
I have no idea who the next #1 draft choice should be for the women, but it will be a little more than ironic if we end up on the bottom. I don't think we really should, but what we should do and what we end up doing are not always identical.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
On second thoughts....you might do yourself a favour and not watch....not a great start. :(

Reply #9
Our girls are seriously shattered.  :(
They're playing with out any confidence at all and are completely outclassed in terms of skill.

No Carlton player has had more than 2 disposals to quarter time.

Reply #10
Great goal by Harris to start the second term...hopefully that turns things around to the point where they're at least competitive.

Reply #11
Easily the greatest disappointment of the summer is how our gals have performed. Promised so much and have delivered so little. You can't help but suspect there are big problems behind the scenes... we've got enough talent on the paddock but not performing to anywhere near potential.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #12
Easily the greatest disappointment of the summer is how our gals have performed. Promised so much and have delivered so little. You can't help but suspect there are big problems behind the scenes... we've got enough talent on the paddock but not performing to anywhere near potential.

Yep
Davey is a great player...but no player can make that much of  a difference.

Reply #13

Yep
Davey is a great player...but no player can make that much of  a difference.

Yes, agree with both comments. The wheels have fallen off badly. Flag favorites at the start, and it's gone from bad to worse. There's much thinking and problem solving to be done over the next many months.

Reply #14
Watch the tennis, Indian Wells is the '5th' Grand Slam....

You can watch skill, finesse and athleticism; sadly missing from AFLW.
Finals, then 4 in a row!