Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Votes: Carlton vs Freo; Rd 7 (Read 5099 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW Votes: Carlton vs Freo; Rd 7

Hopefully there are a few more good players to vote for this week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFLW Votes: Carlton vs Freo; Rd 7

Reply #1
I think we were a bit unlucky this week. Plenty of 'triers' but no real dominant players.

I've gone with...

3. Harris
2. Loynes
1. S. Hosking

HM Downie and Katie-Jayne Grieves in her 2nd game showed plenty of fight (although that elbow was a worry)

Reply #2
3 S Hosking
2 Harris
1 Loynes

Let down by our kicking again (both in the field and at goal). Time for a 3 year rebuild?

Reply #3
3 S. Hosking
2 T Harris
1 K Loynes

The only thing Sarah Hosking is missing is hitting the scoreboard.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
I think we were a bit unlucky this week. Plenty of 'triers' but no real dominant players.

I've gone with...

3. Harris
2. Loynes
1. S. Hosking

HM Downie and Katie-Jayne Grieves in her 2nd game showed plenty of fight (although that elbow was a worry)
Again we have no players who get more than15 possessions. While the opposition did. This week, thankfully, only 1.
But looking at the stats, we have a lot of improving to do.

3: Tayla Harris: 15 possessions and 5 marks from CHF is a great effort when you consider how the ball gets delivered.
2. Katie Loynes: She has a huge heart and goes in where angels fear to tread.
1. Sarah Hosking: will go down as our premier midfielder this year, with 15 possessions.

Some of our better performed layers this year, like Shae Audley, barely had a touch. Nicola Stevens, for example had 6 possessions. We can't win when so many of our players get less than 10 possessions.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #5
3 - Harris
2 - Hosking, S
1 - Loynes

Honourable mentions to Downie and Moody.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

-

Reply #6
Again we have no players who get more than15 possessions. While the opposition did. This week, thankfully, only 1.
But looking at the stats, we have a lot of improving to do.

3: Tayla Harris: 15 possessions and 5 marks from CHF is a great effort when you consider how the ball gets delivered.
2. Katie Loynes: She has a huge heart and goes in where angels fear to tread.
1. Sarah Hosking: will go down as our premier midfielder this year, with 15 possessions.

Some of our better performed layers this year, like Shae Audley, barely had a touch. Nicola Stevens, for example had 6 possessions. We can't win when so many of our players get less than 10 possessions.

I thought Nic Stevens was hard done by. At least 3 Free kicks went against her.
1. Where she was tackled, got a handball and it was called a throw.
2. Where she ran through the pack to pick up the ball, got tackled as soon as she touched the ball, was held and slung after the tackle despite the ball being lodged out immediately after she touched it and got done for holding the ball.
3. I think there was one where she tackled someone but a free was not given, despite prior opportunity and no genuine attempt made.

Said similar about Audley and Lucas-Rodd last week i think. If they were on a mens list, they'd be Nick Graham type players - Good VFL players, but lacking the size/speed at the top level.

Re: -

Reply #7
I thought Nic Stevens was hard done by. At least 3 Free kicks went against her.
1. Where she was tackled, got a handball and it was called a throw.
2. Where she ran through the pack to pick up the ball, got tackled as soon as she touched the ball, was held and slung after the tackle despite the ball being lodged out immediately after she touched it and got done for holding the ball.
3. I think there was one where she tackled someone but a free was not given, despite prior opportunity and no genuine attempt made.
I do not disagree. She will not be happy, especially as we lost by less than 2 goals. That is not the only time this year she has been penalized in supposedly 50:50 situations. Does she talk back to the ump? They certainly do not like her much.
But, unfortunately, she hasn't been able to perform as she would prefer. She would probably be the first to admit it. Our style of play does not allow for the sharing of the ball that Collingwood did both this year and last year and which allowed her to get a number of possessions.
She hasn't shown the elite kicking she is supposed to have. Quite the opposite. It may well be that she has taken one of the better players each week and has had to play more negatively (even though she has spent time on the wing). She has certainly been playing on smaller, faster players than she did last year. Last year she often took the tall forwards. The only time she didn't, she was on Darcy Vescio. Darcy gave her a football lesson, as Stevens would not play in front. She used to run off the bigger, slower players and make then worry about her. This has not happened this year.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
I thought she was our 2nd best in Rd 1 and had her in the best handful a couple of times.

I think she is playing a lot more defensively than she would like, and that could be part of her/our problem.

I have no doubt she is a footballer, she thinks, moves and acts like a footballer. She just needs to be freed up a bit more.

I think in the first couple of rounds she spent a bit more time forward, or was at least allowed a license to run forward, as she kicked a goal on a few occasions. Since Davey went down, i can't remember her kicking one.

She may not have been at her best this year, i didn't watch any collingwood games last year apart from our contest in R1, but i think we have much bigger problems on our list. She won the pies B+F last year, the talent is there and she hasn't lost it, we just need to utilise it better.

Reply #9
I agree, the Davey injury and others has forced the club to re-task Stevens from what she would have otherwise have liked. Also perhaps from what we had intended.

I cannot wait to see her freed up and pushing further up the field.

I'm starting to see why we parted ways with our recruiter, we have zero depth and a lot of very similar players!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
I agree, the Davey injury and others has forced the club to re-task Stevens from what she would have otherwise have liked. Also perhaps from what we had intended.

I cannot wait to see her freed up and pushing further up the field.

I'm starting to see why we parted ways with our recruiter, we have zero depth and a lot of very similar players!

Zero depth is an interesting call considering during 1 game this year we had only 3-5 his available who were Not in the side... Potentially 3 of them rookies.
The list sizes are too small. You simply can't cover every position on the ground and of you get a couple of injuries in the same area of the field, you are stuffed.

Reply #11
3. S.Hosking

2. Harris

1. Loynes
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #12
Zero depth is an interesting call considering during 1 game this year we had only 3-5 his available who were Not in the side... Potentially 3 of them rookies.
The list sizes are too small. You simply can't cover every position on the ground and of you get a couple of injuries in the same area of the field, you are stuffed.

But you know the list size at the time you draft players, so you have to find ways to build a flexible playing list.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
But you know the list size at the time you draft players, so you have to find ways to build a flexible playing list.

Yes, but you don't know where you will get injuries do you?

Lets simplify things and look at the 'talls' on your list.
Lets say on any given day you have FB, CHB, CHF, FF and a Ruck playing. You might also have a backup ruck option. So 6 'talls' on gameday.

OK, so how many talls do you have on the rest of your list? You'd want at least one key back and one key defender in reserve.

So now, that is 8 players who are 'talls'.

List sizes are 27 (+ 3 rookies which we'll ignore for this exercise)

so 'smalls' available is 19
If you have 21 players playing on game day. That means with your 6 talls, you have 15 smalls. Which leaves 4 smalls not playing.

4 smalls and 2 talls are not playing each week.

OK, so we lose Davey.
4 smalls and 1 tall not playing.

You get acouple of injuries to your smalls.
2 smalls and 1 tall not playing.

Harris gets suspended.
2 smalls not playing.

A concussion.
1 small not playing.

Pick the girls on form? Whoever is fit gets a game!

Lets start again, but instead of losing Davey for the year, we lost a small.
Instead of losing Harris to suspension, we lose someone else.
Still have a couple of injuries to your smalls and a concussion.

You have run out of smalls to play and are playing a tall in their spot.

Of course, you have 3 rookies to help out, but they'd be 'break in case of emergency' types generally who you don't expect much from.

Not much list management strategy going on.
Its all about luck.

Reply #14
Just a follow up, we played all 30 players on our AFLW list this year.

List management or picking whoever is fit?