Skip to main content
Topic: Womens Footy - Will It Really Last ?? (Read 5628 times) previous topic - next topic

Womens Footy - Will It Really Last ??

I will be upfront here and state that I have no interest whatsoever in the AFLW, the little bits of seen look no better than an U/15 boys game.

Question is, will this version of the game really stand the test of time or will it be a short-lived idea ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Womens Footy - Will It Really Last ??

Reply #1
 ::)

Reply #2
On TFS Barrett has announced plans are being drawn up for the return of some sort of Reserves competition.

Surely that would rob the clubs of some of the women's resources.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
I will be upfront here and state that I have no interest whatsoever in the AFLW, the little bits of seen look no better than an U/15 boys game.

Question is, will this version of the game really stand the test of time or will it be a short-lived idea ??

It's on a par with Under 15 boys Football ... maybe... just.

its all up the mighty AFL... they are the ones pumping millions of dollars into it so until the money runs out who knows.... ?
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #4
The AFLW is the worst spectacle in the history of Australian Sport. Period.

No problem with them wanting to play & have a league of their own.....by all means go for it, but please, it's the most over-hyped & under-delivering sporting competition on the planet......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #5
u/15s much better imo.

Too invested to let it go now - the AFL that is....

Surely the girls must struggle to watch the replay during the week when analysing 'what went wrong'?

As for the coaching, health issues aside, seriously....?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #6
I'd expect the AFL to continue funding the women's comp..not a viewer myself as I have explained why in the past but I think the concept will attract more women as more money comes into the game.

Reply #7
The AFL seem very commited to it so they will be pushing it for a year or two yet I think. The attendance figures and tv audiences I guess will be the ultimate deciders.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
I think at some stage it has to be able to sustain income streams and that is where there needs to be quantum leaps in the skill and fitness levels of the participants.

At the moment, people are not going to pay $10 a week go to to the football, let alone $25+ that you pay to go to most top level sports.
There was talk about how the girls deserve to be paid at least as much as rookies and all that, but of course that would just bring about the downfall of the sport in quick fashion.

At the moment, the amount spent is probably sustainable, but if the level is anywhere like it is now in 2-3 years time, the sport will struggle to have an audience I think
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #9
It'll sort over time. With a pathway now for women alot more juniors will play hence alot more talent will come through the system. That'll flow through over the next 5-6 years. It has to start somewhere.

Short-sighted people will look at the "now" and say it's no good, those that think a bit more will se that, like any new competition, it will improve as grass roots depth improves.

Reply #10
In some fashion or other, it is here to stay. The AFL have given it a bit of a leg up, and it may disappear off the telly for a while as it gains momentum, professionalism, visibility, profile etc.

But I don't see it disappearing altogether.

I think the AFL knew well in advance that it wasn't going to be a big hit first up, and really just wanted to jump start the process.

Reply #11
It'll sort over time. With a pathway now for women alot more juniors will play hence alot more talent will come through the system. That'll flow through over the next 5-6 years. It has to start somewhere.

Short-sighted people will look at the "now" and say it's no good, those that think a bit more will se that, like any new competition, it will improve as grass roots depth improves.

Spot on Jimbo.

Reply #12
I haven’t seen many games this season but I have listened to a bit of radio coverage and it seems that the AFLW is building a solid supporter base.

I quite like watching women’s team sports, partly because they play them differently to blokes and AFLW is no exception.  Anyone expecting a game like men’s footy will be sadly disappointed.  Anyone who can appreciate the game being played in a slightly different way by athletes in the process of developing their individual and team skills should enjoy what they see.

AFLW has a long way to go and the AFL needs to take a different approach to tampering with the rules and umpiring.  Clubs, and particularly our club, need to understand how to prepare, condition and look after female athletes.  In our case, improving foot speed should be a priority.

I reckon that the AFLW, and women’s footy in general, has a bright future, provided that the AFL seeks input from the players and those with an understanding of women’s footy rather than imposing playing conditions that blokes think are OK.

The evenness of the competition is a positive (apart from the also-ran teams), but it does highlight the need for a round of semi-finals.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
Spot on Jimbo.

I doubt it will ever reach the heights of women's tennis as a spectacle. Ever.

And that is deplorably bad other than a few cameos from the likes of Camila Georgi - who can hit a mean ball.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #14
I doubt it will ever reach the heights of women's tennis as a spectacle. Ever.

And that is deplorably bad other than a few cameos from the likes of Camila Georgi - who can hit a mean ball.

...and in every other place in the world apart from Melbourne, they say the same about the mens game.