Skip to main content
Topic: Position vacant: Carlton AFLW Senior Coach  (Read 9778 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Position vacant: Carlton AFLW Senior Coach

Reply #30
Yes, I agree. It was either a cynical marketing exercise from the get go, or else the club started with genuine good intensions but just had no idea what they were doing.

Either way, the girls and the public (especially the girls) deserve much better. This has all the makings of a PR disaster.

That's what the road to hell is paved with isn't it?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
It's really bizarre because marketing wise our club has done a fantastic job. From the outside it looked like we were leading the way for women's football.

Good pick-up.

In relation to our 'blokes' side, until recent times that's been a feature of our club... v. good marketing dept, then we fell away badly in other areas (Board/on-field). And there's nothing worse than over promising and under delivering. I like the balance we've struck now between marketing (a necessary evil  ;) ) and the rest of the club. Now for some more on-field success and maybe tweak the Board. As for the gals, maybe time to tear it down and start again and for some within the creation of our AFLW side to have a long hard look at themselves in the full-length mirror.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
@Baggers

Baggers, excellent marketing combined with abysmal delivery is a very toxic cocktail.

Reply #33
That article is 'one side' of the story.... watch this space!

Anything you can elaborate on Flyboy?

Gotta say I'm pretty gutted by what's come out in the past 24 hours.  If we lose Davey, it's probably the equivalent of losing Cripps, Charlie Curnow, Weitering, Kreuzer and Paddy Dow. With the infancy of the league and the new teams coming in, Bri is irreplaceable. She is arguably the best player in the comp and still young. She's going to dominate over the next 6-7 years. The women's draft is much like the men's was when it first started; very hit and miss. The depth of talent in the available player pool will be shallow for probably the next decade, so it's paramount that we hold onto our best players. Liddle needs to step in and request an overhaul of the entire women's football department and major crisis control needs to occur to get these women back on board.

Reply #34
Bri is irreplaceable.

No one is irreplaceable...

It takes two - or more - to tango remember...  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #35
@Baggers

Baggers, excellent marketing combined with abysmal delivery is a very toxic cocktail.

You bet. Destroys trust and credibility.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #36
That's what the road to hell is paved with isn't it?

Yes, apparently so. As a small aside, I've always found that phrase to be pretty hopeless at communicating its intended meaning. There's an alternative one which is much better : "hell is full of good intentions, heaven is full of good works."

Reply #37
Yes, apparently so. As a small aside, I've always found that phrase to be pretty hopeless at communicating its intended meaning. There's an alternative one which is much better : "hell is full of good intentions, heaven is full of good works."

Take your pick Paul, either way it's a right royal f--k up.

Reply #38
Well, there goes our future then.

I'd like to be bitter at Davey for wanting out but if half of the stuff being said turns out to be true I can't blame her. I just hope can stop a mass exodus.

I know both exon and ayre are very bitter towards the club so it's not an isolated case unfortunately.

Sad day for Carlton today, hope we don't get flogged tomorrow night as it could be a long year.

Reply #39
Everyone, I'm extremely disappointed about this.

The AFL W seemed to be echoing what we were doing for the AFL men as well.

We ticked off on the coach.  we ticked off on the playing list manager, and the list with it, and seemed to be doing the "whole of club" approach to getting comfortable being uncomfortable and all the buzz words associated with it.

This stinks, and it stinks to high heaven.

Now that the house of cards has fallen over in AFL W, is it going to be a matter of time before it happens to the mens??

Now all that aside, that news article is scathing about our footy club, the unfortunate scenario being that we have no right of reply and even if we did, it would be dismissed for the laughing stock that it is.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
Take your pick Paul, either way it's a right royal f--k up.

Yes, quite true. A terrible situation 24 hours away from the season opener.

Reply #41
I'd get SOS onboard to do a list review, map out a plan, get him to head up the panel and choose a new list manager and start again...

D. Armfield as the new coach....

Reply #42
I'd get SOS onboard to do a list review, map out a plan, get him to head up the panel and choose a new list manager and start again...

D. Armfield as the new coach....

Would love him back in the coaching team, but not as head coach. Need someone who has been a head coach before. I'd be seriously trying to get Shaun Smith from Richmond. Only signed up as the AC for their women's team earlier this year, but might be enticed by a the head coach role. He did an awesome job when he was in charge of the St Kilda Sharks, and given Bri Davey's history with that club, he might be enough to keep her (and others) on board.

Reply #43
I've heard that after the AFLW finals the AFL are going to announce some changes to the competition rules for 2019. I've no idea what they might be, I've just been warned to stay tuned. There have been some alleged meetings between the stakeholders as recently as this week.

So I wouldn't be surprised to hear little from the club until after that announcement.
The Force Awakens!