Skip to main content
Topic: South Africa v Australia - touring squad (Read 38525 times) previous topic - next topic

South Africa v Australia - touring squad

Now that we have smashed the Poms 5-0 with the same XI no less, who are the blokes you take to South Africa for the three test match series? I'm not sure how many we'll take, probably 15 or 16, so who are your men to get the job done?

At this stage I'd go with:
1. C.Rogers
2. D.Warner
3. S.Watson
4. M.Clarke (c)
5. S.Smith
6. G.Bailey
7. B.Haddin (vc/wk)
8. M.Johnson
9. R.Harris
10. P.Siddle
11. N.Lyon

12. J.Faulkner
13. J.Pattinson
14. N.Coulter-Nile
15. Fawad Ahmed
16. A.Doolan

Re: South Africa v Australia - touring squad

Reply #1
Now watch the show ponies get their pants pulled down against half decent opposition. Tipping an embarrassing result for the Aussies....the cracks appeared a few times during the ashes.

Reply #2
Now that we have smashed the Poms 5-0 with the same XI no less, who are the blokes you take to South Africa for the three test match series? I'm not sure how many we'll take, probably 15 or 16, so who are your men to get the job done?

1. C.Rogers
2. D.Warner - I wouldn't but the centuries booked him a ticket
3. S.Watson - NO
4. M.Clarke (c)
5. S.Smith - I wouldn't but the centuries booked him a ticket
6. G.Bailey - NO
7. B.Haddin (vc/wk)
8. M.Johnson
9. R.Harris
10. P.Siddle
11. N.Lyon

12. J.Faulkner
13. J.Pattinson
14. N.Coulter-Nile
15. Fawad Ahmed - NO
16. A.Doolan
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #3
James Hopes, Jason Krejza, Shaun Tait, Nathan Bracken.

Reply #4

1. C.Rogers
2. D.Warner
3. S.Watson
4. M.Clarke (c)
5. S.Smith
6. G.Bailey
7. B.Haddin (vc/wk)
8. M.Johnson
9. R.Harris
10. P.Siddle
11. N.Lyon

12. J.Faulkner
13. J.Pattinson
14. N.Coulter-Nile
15. Fawad Ahmed
16. A.Doolan

No way to Bailey. Watson to six, not sure who I would have at three. Don't mind the rest of your squad.

Reply #6
I'd like to see Faulkner replace Bailey at 6. I like Bailey but not at Test level, great in the limited over game.
Watson still doesn't impress me and would prefer Doolan or Marsh at 3. I'd also take Bird.

I think Pratty has it fairly right as there is not much chance for others to push for a spot before tour. Names coming through but not quite ready yet, Silk, Head, Burns, Lynn, Maddison, Behrendorff, Sayers & Zampa.

I think Siddle may struggle with Bird, Pattinson, Starc & Cummins all back soon (or now) as well.

Reply #7
I'd like to see Faulkner replace Bailey at 6. I like Bailey but not at Test level, great in the limited over game.
Watson still doesn't impress me and would prefer Doolan or Marsh at 3. I'd also take Bird.

I think Pratty has it fairly right as there is not much chance for others to push for a spot before tour. Names coming through but not quite ready yet, Silk, Head, Burns, Lynn, Maddison, Behrendorff, Sayers & Zampa.

I think Siddle may struggle with Bird, Pattinson, Starc & Cummins all back soon (or now) as well.

Is a fit Cummins good enough to force Siddle out of the team. My understanding is he's a pretty special player but body falls to bits.

Reply #8

They wont drop Siddle IMO.....you need a bowler to do the monkey work when its tough. Pattinson is more likely to replace Harris if he breaks down though Pattinson inst exactly a reliable commodity to be on the park every test either.

Saffies will be tough work, they bat deep with DeVilliers cheating as the wicket keeper and we all know they have a good pace attack and are no mugs in the field either.
Dont expect Johnson to provide the same terror as the Saffies are fed a diet of pace bowling and its going to get down to the 1%ers like who catches better in the field and if our tailenders can keep making runs to prop up the top order.

A wining series would be great but I'd settle for a drawn series given our blokes will be fairly tired after 5 tests and plenty of ashes hype and it might be a bit hard to get up mentally vs better opposition...

Reckon Watson will bat at six  and Doolan will bat at 3 hoping his good technique  can blunt the SA quicks so Clarke etc can have it easier....

Reply #9

Is a fit Cummins good enough to force Siddle out of the team. My understanding is he's a pretty special player but body falls to bits.

Cummins won't be playing any long form cricket for at least another 12 months apparently, so no chance.

Reply #10
Johnno wasn't just intimidating in the last tour because of his pace. His control was outstanding, and his line and length right on the money. His short balls weren't wide or too short, they were in the right areas to scare batsmen nearly every time. How many players did he actually hit this tour? It was a pretty amazing summer for him.

If he can bowl those same lines and lengths with the same fire against the Saffies, then he'll go well again.

The last thing we have to worry about is our bowling depth, though, we have plenty of options there.

I'd be looking at taking Paine along on tour again, as Haddin simply can't keep this up indefinitely and we have to look to the future.

Overall, I think the 11 we played all summer will be safe, though I agree with the concept of moving Watson to 6 permanently. Question is, though, who bats at 3? We don't exactly have a plethora of options standing up there.

At least we're not as reliant on Clarke as we have been for the past 18 months. We should go in pretty confident that our batsmen can score enough runs for our bowlers to do their damage.

Will be a very interesting tour, we're going to have our tails well and truly in the air when we arrive, I just hope we don't get cocky.

This last summer could very well have been our 1989 Ashes Tour-esque turning point!
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #11
Dont expect Johnson to provide the same terror as the Saffies are fed a diet of pace bowling and its going to get down to the 1%ers like who catches better in the field and if our tailenders can keep making runs to prop up the top order.

Johnson gave the Poms the heebie-jeebies so much they were shell-shocked into thinking every ball he bowled was a hand-grenade.

There is no way known that the Yarpies will fall for that trick and they will more than likely attack anything short or wide as their top order batsman are way more accomplished and talented.

This series is a defining one for our players with the bat, a number of them have suspect techniques and/or temperaments and they will be exposed under the bowling pressure from Steyn, Morkel & co.

Not expecting to win this series at all, in fact I'm prepared to rejoice at a drawn one actually.

Reply #12

Johnson gave the Poms the heebie-jeebies so much they were shell-shocked into thinking every ball he bowled was a hand-grenade.

There is no way known that the Yarpies will fall for that trick and they will more than likely attack anything short or wide as their top order batsman are way more accomplished and talented.

This series is a defining one for our players with the bat, a number of them have suspect techniques and/or temperaments and they will be exposed under the bowling pressure from Steyn, Morkel & co.

Not expecting to win this series at all, in fact I'm prepared to rejoice at a drawn one actually.

Before the Ashes Cook, Bell, Trott and Pieterson were all very accomplished and talented.

Reply #13
Pietersen is an arrogant blowhard who plays for himself !!

Cook has always been susceptible outside off stump due to a technique flaw.

Bell is a good player.

Trott is a decent player but he crumbled under the pressure, first time it has been fully applied.

Reply #14
Pietersen is an arrogant blowhard who plays for himself !!

Cook has always been susceptible outside off stump due to a technique flaw.

Bell is a good player.

Trott is a decent player but he crumbled under the pressure, first time it has been fully applied.

Peiterson is arrogant but that's not the point. A dud doesn't average in the high 40's at test match level.

The reason Trott left had nothing to do with what happened in the first test. He shouldn't have been playing in the first place.