Skip to main content
Topic: Walker Says Premiership In 4 Years LOLS (Read 20227 times) previous topic - next topic

Walker Says Premiership In 4 Years LOLS

CARLTON can defy the growing band of doomsayers and win a flag within the next four seasons, star defender Andrew Walker says.

Walker signalled his confidence in the Blues' long-term future when he re-signed in February for three more years, tying himself to Visy Park to the end of 2017.

The 27-year-old could have explored free agency at the end of this season, but he told AFL.com.au on Wednesday he had no hesitation in sticking with Carlton.

Asked whether the Blues could win a premiership before his new contract expired, Walker was emphatic.

"Absolutely," he said.

Walker freely conceded the Blues "didn't turn up to play" against the Bombers, but said they had been competitive in the opening two rounds against Port Adelaide and Richmond.

In fact, Walker believes Carlton played "top-four football" in patches against the Power and Tigers, with their challenge now to replicate that form more regularly.

The speedy defender missed the Richmond game after being suspended for one week for throwing Port forward Angus Monfries into the fence after tackling him near the boundary line.

"I'm in the leadership group and it was extremely undisciplined of me. I copped the one week and deservedly so," Walker said.

"That's something that I don't think is a part of my game, I just had a bit of a brain fade.

"Angus is a small forward and he can get inside people's heads and I'm a competitive defender. At the end of the day, it was probably just my competitive nature coming out.

"The biggest thing that comes out of it is that you miss a big game (against Richmond) and it was a big game that was a close one and I probably could have had an impact.

"So it was disappointing to miss the game."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-09/walkers-fouryear-flag-plan

So Macca and the playing group are in complete disagreement with the coach and board. Any wonder they didn't turn up to play last week? We have a coach that keeps saying our blokes aren't good enough. We need a coach that can instill confidence in the playing group, not tell them they're crap to save his own pathetic skin.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: Walker Says Premiership In 4 Years LOLS

Reply #1
In 4 years the side will be completely different.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
Sounds like he thinks we can match it with the top 4 now though.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #3

We can in bits but we have lapses.

Hawks: last year we controlled the game, they ran over us in the last quarter with the help of the umpires.

Freo: Tight contest for 3 quarters, got smashed in the last.

Geelong: We controlled the majority of the first half but the cats smashed us in red time.

Sydney: Smashed in the first half, came back in the second
In the final first and last quarters we were competitive but smashed in the 2nd and 3rd terms.

No one controls the whole game for every game but the good sides when they control the game punish the other team.

On 360 last night McLure put up some stats for this year, we're 18th for disposals and 18th for uncontested possessions which shows we don't run hard enough for long enough.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #4
No effort, no confidence, no spirit.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #5
someone outside the club has to form a ticket and clear the whole joint out....

these media quotes are killing our brand.....

Reply #7

On 360 last night McLure put up some stats for this year, we're 18th for disposals and 18th for uncontested possessions which shows we don't run hard enough for long enough.

Our game doesn't allow our players the space to get easier ball.

Either way, good news about Walker (even though DOA had given us the heads up) and I would hope we can do some sort of rebuild within 4 years. I'd guess Mick will be given a 2 year extension then....

Reply #8

Don't think - DO!

But which one is it cookie. On one hand you have MM and the board with a clear agenda which is to save their own hides, and then you have what the players and football manager think. We cannot operate like this. No wonder the players didn't turn up last week.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9

Don't think - DO!

But which one is cookie. On on hand you have MM and the board with a clear agenda which to save their own hides, and then you have what the players and football manager think. We cannot operate like this. No wonder the players didn't turn up last week.

If the situation is as bad as you describe, then mate we are doomed to spend a lot more time in the wilderness with no guarantees or prospects that we'll ever get out of it. Unless a white knight on a mighty steed comes along to save us......shudder.

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
Well thats Pagan, Ratten and Malthouse the players haven't shown up for, at what point do the players have to take some responsibility?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #11
They showed up for Ratten not a problem. Different list compared to what Pagan had. I agree though the players need to take some responsibility for sure but in the end, it's the coaches responsibility to instill spirit within the team and get them playing in a cohesive manner. For a bloke on a million plus it's so far been an abject failure that is getting worse, not better.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12
They showed up for Ratten not a problem. Different list compared to what Pagan had. I agree though the players need to take some responsibility for sure but in the end, it's the coaches responsibility to instill spirit within the team and get them playing in a cohesive manner. For a bloke on a million plus it's so far been an abject failure that is getting worse, not better.

Numerous times they didn't show up for Ratten, they cost him his job.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #13
Nah I reckon the board's incompetence cost him his job.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14
Well thats Pagan, Ratten and Malthouse the players haven't shown up for, at what point do the players have to take some responsibility?

I doubt it can be claimed the players didn't show up for Ratten, if anything he had them playing on emotion more than the other coaches. Ratten's underlying problems were related to management of players, experience and communications with players and staff.

Pagan was old school, and the "younguns" don't respond to old school fire a brimstone, they are taught about bullying tactics at school and how to deal with it. A coach like Pagan using old school tactics would be tagged as a bully almost immediately!

This is also a the risk Malthouse runs in the modern game, especially if he takes that unhinged persona from the coaches box to the field. Momentarily losing it may well cost him the respect of the list, but at this stage it seems the players have his support!

As for the EFC result, it was certainly left field, but when you hear club people say they didn't see it coming you have the right to be skeptical and ask was it orchestrated for political means?

As supporters you are allowed to question.
The Force Awakens!