For the rest of the season should we

Play the kids
[ 15 ] (55.6%)
Give the likely discards one last shot
[ 7 ] (25.9%)
Play the team most likely to win us the game
[ 5 ] (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Topic: Play the kids or One last chance (Read 19464 times) previous topic - next topic

Play the kids or One last chance

Whichever way you look at it, this season looks like being a bit of a disaster.

If the highlihghts of the season are the improved form of Rowe and Casboult and a some good games from Menzel and Buckley then we really are having a forgettable year.

What do we salvage from the wreck.
It's probably at the point where it now becomes about 2015 and the years after.

With that in mind should we now look to be getting games into kids..... or do we give those with real question marks over them a series of a half a dozen games to give it "one last shot."

Either way it probably won't make a lot of difference to results.

Although it's probably against the accepted wisdom I'm leaning to the 'One last chance' option.
Going in and out of the side doesn't give a player a chance to settle and it doesn't give him a chance for redemption if he has a shocker.
Playing these guys in the seniors also has another advantage. Our younger players get a chance to develop as a group (team) in the VFL, and the team aspect seems to have been something we've been lacking for about a decade.

Re: Play the kids or One last chance

Reply #1
Take Waite, Judd, Carrots and Simpson out of this side and we probably have 1 win. That's what we're staring at next year. There is no one last shot the question is who does the rebuild? A disgruntled Rogers? Imagine he walks before the draft.

Reply #2
Take Waite, Judd, Carrots and Simpson out of this side and we probably have 1 win. That's what we're staring at next year. There is no one last shot the question is who does the rebuild? A disgruntled Rogers? Imagine he walks before the draft.

Take away Gibbs Murphy and Yarran and were building on sand.
We don't have a lot of base.
That's what the rest of this year is about....... finding another cornerstone or two
Whether that's in the kids or someone who otherwise might be chopped is the question.

Reply #3

If he walked before the draft that would help not hinder us...he along with that bozo Hughes is what has us in this mess...

Reply #4
No doubt we need to unearth 6 - 8 very good players from somewhere. Playing the old guys won't help us find them. I don't like bigsudden changes, big bang change usually just leaves a mess but we're committed to Mick and he can't do it with this group.

Reply #5

If he walked before the draft that would help not hinder us...he along with that bozo Hughes is what has us in this mess...

I'm more concerned about if he's decided to leave already and will do SFA until his time is up.

Reply #6

I'm more concerned about if he's decided to leave already and will do SFA until his time is up.

He has a three year deal ...so I dont see him leaving and I dont see anyone wanting him either.
No doubt the club will continue to try and woo a big name recruiter/list manager to run the show but the odds on that are not great given we
are in a mess and its a bitch of a job at the minute trying to fix it.

I think Malthouse will have to do a Sheedy and get heavily involved and oversee the draft/trade period and monitor every selection...

Reply #7
No doubt we need to unearth 6 - 8 very good players from somewhere. Playing the old guys won't help us find them. I don't like bigsudden changes, big bang change usually just leaves a mess but we're committed to Mick and he can't do it with this group.

I'm not so much talking about the older guys.
We pretty much know what they can do.
It's the younger guys who've been on the list a few years and may only have had a few opportunities but are now facing the axe.
Watson's an example. Although he has another year I suspect if they could he'd be gone at the end of the year.
Now he comes back for one game and has an absolute shocker and out he goes.
Confidence shot and no chance at redemption
Bring him back tell him he has half a dozen games. Play him forward and then at the end of the day you cant say he wasn't given every opportunity (Most would say he already has....but what do we lose.....a half a dozen games into another youngster in a topsy, turvy unsettled side with little to play for may do the young fellow more harm than good).

Reply #8
Play the kids?  Can we play SOS' kids?  If not, then the shelf is bare. 

Reply #9
Option D

Play the team most likely to not win us the game
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #10
Personally I think we should go with the team that deserves to be out there every week, whatever that looks like. I don't want to see anyone handed a game because in all honestly they wont do much anyway.

I would rather any kid go into the off season thinking they havnt cracked a game yet and pushing themselves harder then having been given a freebie and thinking they are alright. Have to push the right culture.

Reply #11
Hard for kids to shine in a struggling, unbalanced side.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #12
Likely discards have had their go and should be consigned to the NB's...I'd be playing the kids like Holman, Graham etc and promoting rookies like Reynolds, Sheehan and even Wood.
Johnson looks handy......and if we can find one other new player that play from that group then I we have acheived something.
Watching Watson, McInnes etc do the sam old same old is just wasting our time...we need to be moving now on shaping the list for next season
and cleaning out the deadwood.

Reply #13
We need to find out now who is worth keeping and who is not, so those who have been around for a couple of years should all be closely looked at. If it means giving them senior game time fine, the season is shot anyway. We need to move on all of those who don't show something and that includes all of those we already know about such as Temay, Watson and McInnes.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14
There aren't that many kids left to try out, Cripps and Giles are out injured. Would like to see Holeman in a seniors game, I think he'll get his chance before the year comes to a close. Would have liked to see Temay play a seniors game by now but if he isn't up to it there not much you can do. Of those who've already made a senior appearance and are in the development category the only ones that comes to mind are Graham and Lucas. Watson has been given a fair go, the dielma being he can't seem to string a few consecutive appearances together. If I'm not mistaken we gave Watson a new contract for this year and next?, granted Rowe hasn't done him any favours with his own good form but he should have come on by now. The cupboard is pretty much empty.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain