Skip to main content
Topic: Wunderkind (Read 6749 times) previous topic - next topic

Wunderkind

Don't know how much general publicity it's getting but Athletic circles are in a bit of a buzz at the moment over a young sixteen year old by the name of Jack Hale

[flash=400,400]https://www.youtube.com/v/VlXrrSGxUYE[/flash]

[flash=400,400]https://www.youtube.com/v/3JEBq1Ak4oM[/flash]

and today....

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/more-sports/tasmanias-jack-hale-16-becomes-worlds-top-ranked-long-jumper-for-his-age-with-huge-effort-of-766m/story-fnii0hmo-1227080144024

Re: Wunderkind

Reply #1
Give him a footy and get Juddy mentoring him?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
I wonder whether his athletic prowess will continue to be so superior when he's in his 20s.  It could be that his physical maturity is well ahead of where it should be.

I hope he is a genuine superstar in the making; it would be nice to have someone that is competitive in the sprints.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Probably the most anticipated race (for athletic folk) this side of Christmas took place at the Australian All Schools Championships in Adelaide this afternoon in the U/18 100m.
Although there was a very strong tailwind the results were ridiculously fast.

1 Jack Hale  TAS 10.13
2 Rohan Browning  NSW 10.18
3 Trae Williams  QLD 10.33
4 Jordan Shelley  NSW 10.44
5 Jackson Miller-Gage VIC 10.48
6 Lachlan McDermott WA 10.50
7 Zach Holdsworth  NSW 10.89 

Reply #4
Good times for U18s, even with a tailwind.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #5
The winner Hale is only 16

Reply #6
Even with the tailwind Lods, seven under 18s breaking 11 seconds must be unprecedented.

Let's hope Hale continues to develop as he matures.  We may have a genuine sprinter here  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
My best for 100m was 11.26. I was 16.

That was a few years ago now, and I had never heard of little athletics or anything like that.
I was also jumping 12m + in triple jump in primary school.

I've always wondered if i had of pursued Athletics, how far I may have got.

Sorry to brag, this thread just brought back some memories !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #8
My best for 100m was 11.26. I was 16.

That was a few years ago now, and I had never heard of little athletics or anything like that.
I was also jumping 12m + in triple jump in primary school.

I've always wondered if i had of pursued Athletics, how far I may have got.

Sorry to brag, this thread just brought back some memories !!

With results like that you have every right to brag. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #9
Even with the tailwind Lods, seven under 18s breaking 11 seconds must be unprecedented.

Let's hope Hale continues to develop as he matures.  We may have a genuine sprinter here  :)

This race has been talked up since September on the athletic websites and amongst the athletic community.

It started when Hale ran a legal 10.44 and then followed it up with a 10.42 in October
Browning came into calculation in late October with a slightly wind assisted 10.37 and a week later a legal 10.47
Williams with a pair 10.5s and Shelley 10.6 were also considered threats but no-one expected these times.... even wind assisted.

The previous best ever Australian Under 18 100m was 10.36 by Jason Geddes (who spent a bit of time training with Usain Bolt last year)....and that was done with a 5.6 m/s tail wind

Hale, Browning and Williams have all gone faster today (wind +3.4)

@ Amers 12m+ triple for a primary kid is pretty impressive. ;)

Reply #10
I saw the race on Offsiders this morning Lods.
Hale didn't nail the start but certainly made up for it.  Browning has a bit of toe too.

Reply #11
I saw the race on Offsiders this morning Lods.
Hale didn't nail the start but certainly made up for it.  Browning has a bit of toe too.

To add to the growing legend :D......

Hale's just won the 200 in 21.29 by half a second with virtually no wind either way.
The Australian U/18 record is 20.90 (Darren Clarke and Paul Greene...both Olympic 400m runners)
Hale still has a year at this age level...that record probably wont last the summer.

Reply #12
reminds me of a junior version of allan wells