Skip to main content
Topic: Superfooty Rates the Forward Line Depth (Read 13010 times) previous topic - next topic

Superfooty Rates the Forward Line Depth

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/superfooty-rates-the-depth-of-every-afl-clubs-forward-line/story-fni5f22o-1227223832135

CARLTON

Headliners:

None

Support cast:

Lachie Henderson

Dale Thomas

Levi Casboult

Tom Bell

Liam Jones

Jason Tutt

Understudies:

Troy Menzel

Blaine Johnson

Extras:

David Ellard

Dennis Armfield

Verdict: Need Menzel and Casboult to up the ante and Henderson to work on his consistency to be any chance of kicking winning scores in 2015. Thomas is going as well as ever by all reports while new surrounds could kick enigmatic former Bulldog Jones into gear. In short, the Blues need a lot to go right.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Re: Superfooty Rates the Forward Line Depth

Reply #1
Menzel an understudy?

The lad kicked 26 goals from 19 games in 2014 - how many other 20 yr old medium forwards did that (or of any age for that matter)?

He'll kick 40 this year comfortably.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2
In general a reasonable assessment, although a bit harsh on Hendo and Menzel.

In countering this article, didn't the same stats people report we have some sort of super efficiency in scoring from our forward entries last season, apparently with a bunch of C Graders and also rans! I thought the stats also said our big problem was being scored against, we were at the top of the scoring and being scored against trees!

I think Hendo is A Grade and Menzel will be A Grade without much further effort, when fit and firing, the "when fit' being a big part of that statement for both of them!

(Dear Mick,

Please no more playing blokes injured. We know you're still bitter about missing that GF, fitness tests can be brutal, but you are not helping these kids by allowing them to run themselves into the ground injured!

Regards,
The Long Term View)

I suspect with SpecialK being injured you will find Casboult rucking far more in combination with Wood who is useful in a pocket unlike Warnock who is a traffic cone outside of the center circle.

Perhaps Watson gets a chance to spend more time up forward in combination with Jones and Henderson. It would be foolish to underestimate any of them.

The pigeon holed defender Yarran might spend more time forward and is A grade wherever he plays.

I also expect to see Murphy spending more time in the F50 as well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Isn't Walker supposed to be moving forward this year? Pretty sure Mick said this.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #4
Menzel isnt a understudy and needs to be a main event...talent wise he is A grade and 30 goals a season should be his minimum target..

Thomas needs to kick 20 plus as well...dont expect him to be the Daisy of old running around the ground picking up 30 possies  a game  but I do expect him to convert more opportunities and be a threat down forward....

Jones, Casboult and Henderson looks top heavy to me if we play them all together down forward every week.....Walker might provide that smaller third tall to give us some balance vs different opponents...

Reply #5
Isn't Walker supposed to be moving forward this year? Pretty sure Mick said this.

I think he said something about more rotation with blokes like Hendo, Jaksch and 1AW capable at both ends.

Personally, I don't think the bookends will be a problem in 2015.

I suspect the midfield, midfield pace and defensive running will be our ongoing weakness. Defensive running and pace are the underlying reasons why we are too easy to score against.

It's shattering that the club is talking up Warnock as SpecialK's logical replacement. A busted up Wood after a year off was a 1000% better the tenth year 206, and Wood hits the scoreboard.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
I agree Wood showed way more, he actually takes a few marks around the ground. Warnock is useless.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #7
Very sobering list.

We need Hendo to become a consistent contributor and Menzel to continue to develop. Otherwise, the year will be a long one.

Reply #8
^^

If Hendo and Menzel, the most talented players on that list both fire then we have a dangerous forwardline. Add to that the Cas looking like a Chippendale and having improved his kicking I reckon we could trouble the opposition for sure. Anything on top of that is a bonus.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
Last season we had an effective forward line, functionally and statistically it worked.

This year the list and options look even better, so no need to go any deeper into it than that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10

I have not heard this from anyone at the club, do you have an article or quote of any sort?
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #11
Any assessment that brackets together Menzel and Blaine Johnson struggles for credibility with me.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #13
I reckon we'll see Yarran starting forward of centre a lot more this year.

As others have said, Yarran is A grade any day of the week and would walk into any side in the competition - Hawks and Sydney included.

Expect to see the young man Clem Smith in the thick of it too - will be a special with a few hard preseasons in him - I'll call it now - he'll be better than B. Pickett.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #14
Surely we'll see Jones kick the ton this year given his athleticism, super human strength, pace and all round Carey-like prowess in the pre-season?