Skip to main content
Topic: Culture (Read 43201 times) previous topic - next topic

Culture

We've made a number of list decisions over the last few years that have been described by some as essential in developing a positive culture.

At the moment you would be hard pressed to point to the 'positive' effects of some of these moves.

We seem to have developed a culture that some folk can't wait to get away from and others don't want to come too.

Is it something that takes time to develop or have we "thrown out the baby with the bathwater" in some cases.

Re: Culture

Reply #1
The house the Mick built. ????
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2
Lods,

We need time for SOS and Bolton to fix up the mistakes of our past. Players are reluctant to come to the club because they see an unstable group of players that can't win games on a regular basis. Somehow we find a way to push players out that we need at the club and bring in players that don't have the attitude or skills to be proper AFL footballers. We need time to fix these issues as we need to build a squad from scratch. That is mainly the job for SOS as list manager. Bolton needs to devise game plans that work for the playing group and help develop every player on the list.

As we start developing a winning culture in the playing group as a whole, every player will want to come to our club, and none already on the list will want to move. We are not in a great place at the moment, hence things must get better. They simply must. Otherwise Bolton would not have taken on the job to be the coach of our club.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #3
Lods, it's what I've struggled with regarding the Kreuzer debate. I think Cripps oozes the culture we want and towards the end of the season I saw these two as a foundation for the rebuild. I know it's only two players but they have all the attributes we want from our playing list. I get what the club is trying to get from letting Kreuzer walk in terms of value in the draft and I understand he's been injured for a long period, but culturally the players have publicly acknowledged that Kreuzer is a massive presence when he is on field.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #4
Lods, it's what I've struggled with regarding the Kreuzer debate. I think Cripps oozes the culture we want and towards the end of the season I saw these two as a foundation for the rebuild. I know it's only two players but they have all the attributes we want from our playing list. I get what the club is trying to get from letting Kreuzer walk in terms of value in the draft and I understand he's been injured for a long period, but culturally the players have publicly acknowledged that Kreuzer is a massive presence when he is on field.

It's funny isn't it. Kreuzer resembles the type of culture we are trying to build, but are willing to let him go to kickstart a rebuild. Who can we blame for this? Can't blame Mick for that one.

Whether he goes or not, we are very much entertaining the idea and that says as much about our culture as anything else.

Can't help but think it starts with the board and they need to go to give the club a new direction.

Reply #5
It's funny isn't it. Kreuzer resembles the type of culture we are trying to build, but are willing to let him go to kickstart a rebuild. Who can we blame for this? Can't blame Mick for that one.

Whether he goes or not, we are very much entertaining the idea and that says as much about our culture as anything else.

Can't help but think it starts with the board and they need to go to give the club a new direction.

Spot on. Isn't the club being a tad hypocritical when they said this regarding Henderson,

Carlton head of football Andrew McKay said the club only wanted players who were excited to wear the Blues jumper
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #6
Onfield culture is on the mend I reckon, dickheads are being weeded out, talent like Cripps needs to be brought in. SOS will sort this out.  Its the off field culture that needs the most work and worries me the most. Trigg is trying but I fear he will fall victim to the toxic environment that is the CFC Board. We shall see.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #7

Absolutely!!

The club should have come out and said that Matty Kreuzer epitomises what Carlton is about and he will be re-signed as a priority. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
We've somehow built up a losing culture that you can probably trace back to the Pagan days. We've never been able to heal those mental scars. We seem to have recruited 100% introverts with very little personality/spirit/spine/etc.

We have frustratingly lost our entire forward line for little return but the way MM was looking at it he's consciously cleared out a bunch of players that were never going to win us a premiership.

It hasn't worked the way he envisaged but he didn't have the recruiting department behind him at Carlton that he had at Collingwood and WC.

We butchered our draft picks so while Mick was busy clearing out the mid-tier experienced players at the top end - the back-fill for that was Watson, McCarthy, Mitchell, Lucas, Bootsma, Temay, etc.

We've also got a bunch of players from other clubs that we paid overs to get who aren't world beaters and suck up most of our salary cap. Warnock, Jones, Henderson, Tutt, Everitt, Thomas, etc.

Our core problem going back many years has always been recruiting and list management. We currently do not have recruitment manager. We appointed SOS as list manager but his role seems to have morphed into recruiting also. Seems very odd.

Reply #9
Watson, McCarthy, Mitchell, Lucas, Bootsma, Temay

Oh my. A worse sextet of Carlton spuds you would struggle to name.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
Carltons cultural problem is driven by its constitution

When you have board directors that have a guaranteed 12 years of sitting on the board things turn too slowly. ..we have directors like gleeson who are still on the board since pagans days...

Reply #12
Onfield culture is on the mend I reckon, dickheads are being weeded out, talent like Cripps needs to be brought in. SOS will sort this out.  Its the off field culture that needs the most work and worries me the most. Trigg is trying but I fear he will fall victim to the toxic environment that is the CFC Board. We shall see.

On field culture is at it's lowest ebb. We get rid of so-called bad boys, nothing's changed, probably got worse, then, because we got rid of them we can't win a game. Sometimes the theory that says "nice guys come last", does ring true. All no good if you can't win games of footy. The only reason we are here

Reply #13
Fevola, Kennedy snd Jacobs.

I worry about you sometimes MBB  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
Culture is overated....West Coast were as high as kites when they were successful, Malthouse allowed Shaw, Didak and the ratpack to do what they wanted as long as they won games....
Winning games builds culture....having a list of choir boys wont win you a premiership, having a few characters who live on the edge are needed to balance up the introverts as long as your characters are not extreme serial offenders...you dont go recruiting Harley Bennell for example..