Skip to main content
Topic: RD 21 : Blues Torture Tigers (Tiger-Taming Tweets) (Read 35679 times) previous topic - next topic

RD 21 : Blues Torture Tigers (Tiger-Taming Tweets)

8 goals to 3 in the first quarter was a telling sign, they placed us under pressure and forced skills errors, we tried to rough them up a little (eg. Robinson V Martin) but it had little effect on them.

What happened in the second was simply terrific, where it started and by whom is irrelevant, the fact that it happened shows that they are capable of matching it with the other teams in the eight if they want to be switched on and committed to each other.

Fighting gritty third quarter saw us hit the front quickly with a goal by McLean and then a goal after the siren from Casboult put us back in front at 3/4 time.  

The things we did so very well in the 2nd & 3rd quarters which got us into the game and kept us in it started to dissipate halfway through the last, was it fatigue or a lack of faith in themselves ??

The Tigers were always going to throw the kitchen sink at us in the last so we needed to brace ourselves and confront their sustained attack. I felt that even though we knew they were coming at us, we started to fumble and make it harder for ourselves than we needed to. As it turned out, the longer the quarter went, the more the Tigers panicked as a result of the scoreboard pressure.     

I'm still trying to understand how Maric was able to sneak forward on a number of occasions, take marks inside the 50m arc, kick goals from close range too. His mark & goal late in the last kept them in touch and a chance. 

Menzel could of probably sealed it with 4mins to play when he had a relatively easy shot on the run from 35m out and missed everything. As an oddball parallel universe happening, Casboult kicked one off the ground to us 15 points up with 3.5mins to play.

Yarran, the player all Blues supporters get a woodie over, from 20m out on the run missed what would of been a certain sealer 30secs later. #badkarma

Ended up with a solid win and one that puts a smile on everyone's face especially after the crap they served up the past few weeks.

The young guys are the future now, that was the most obvious thing to come out of the match for me today, leave them in the seniors to learn the caper.

Did anyone see a Carlton team-mate go and give Menzel a pat on the back for getting back on his own and diving to touch the ball right on the line when to prevent a Tigers goal in the first ?? Didn't see to many say 'well done' when he kicked that terrific goal in traffic moments later too. #gonnabegood

Robert Warnock, here's a tip on how to play the ruck role by someone who never played ruck - try looking at the ball instead of the opposition ruckman at a centre bounce, you may get your hand a little closer to it if you do. #useless

Was Bootsma on Riewoldt part of a long-term development strategy or was it purely through necessity ??  #scratchinghead

Hey Bryce, feel free to actually tackle the Tiger player with the ball, standing a metre away flapping your arms like a seagull just doesn't cut it anymore.  #exposed

Mitch Robinson's second quarter was the most devastating he has ever played, in fact, if he could constantly play with that level of disciplined intensity, non-one would ever doubt him.  #trainthebrain   

Eddie Betts, the smallest player on the field tried to take Mark of the Century by climbing high on Astbury's back only to give away a free kick. #playthepercentages

Nick Graham looked like he was meant to be there, just needs to kick through the ball instead of those that went flat & low.  #thathaircutisrad

Tom Bell is dumb, pure and simple, made too many errors and bad decisions under pressure. Brute force with a lack of polish & general awareness will see him ousted from the club. #wicrapwasntso

McInnes looks like such a calm & reliable player now, resembles an old style cool Blues defender. #partofthefuture. Really like what he offers and disappointed that I ever doubted him. #nooneisperfect

Can we get Dr. Frankenstein to join Gibbs' kicking ability with Casboult's great pack marking to create the perfect player ?? #tellhimhesdreaming

Jarrod Waite playing as a permanent defender was the balancing act we need to keep Henderson up forward.  #goodcoaching #rightthingtodo

Josh Bootsma, please sprint at the ball when it is well in front of you, don't lope along so your opponent can catch up to you.  #worrying

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: RD 21 : Blues Torture Tigers (Tiger-Taming Tweets)

Reply #1
Not bad.

Menzel to be a player. Graham showed enough.

Stilll seeing improvement.

Yarran seemed interested.

Few changed positions today? Gibbs forward... ?

Reply #2
Nice Mick's Blues has beaten a team above .  Thumbs up.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #3
The Irishman is a gun, loved his game
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #4
Great turnaround, looked like it was gonna get ugly. Pleasantly surprised. Richmond aren't much chop TBH.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
Had a few shudders there towards the end with Yazz running into open goal and missing, though it was gonna  be  R1 all over again
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #7
How sweet it is!  ;D

Before the game there was Dermie, Roo and Dwayney salivating over how many the Tiggers were going to do us over by! I thought "wouldn't it be nice if we could just pinch this one!" And Hey Presto!

Great gutsy effort by the boys in a performance that had all the elements that were missing in the last 2 weeks.

Well played boys and a nice pressie in the end for Mick.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
FYI we won every stat against a Top 6 side....

Reply #9
knew we would win well done carlton

Reply #10
Take a bow Thry and others who didnt doubt.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
So proud of the boys right now. Horrible first quarter, but showed heart and determination to get it back. Bout time Blues!

Reply #12
Great win! Showed plenty of heart to get back into it and I'm not sure if many saw on the TV after the game but the celebrations were big, it clearly meant a lot to the players.

Robbo brilliant, got given a good run in the midfield and didn't let the side down.

Dirty Mclean inspirational second quarter got us back into it. Pity he couldn't nail the fourth.

Casboult 3 very important goals. Amazing what a difference it makes when you have someone that can mark the bomb inside 50. I noted he was out of position for both his marks but still too strong when it counted.

Really liked Menzel's game though he flashed in and out. Kicked a very nice goal.

Gibbs teased us once again with some inetencity in the last term.

Yarran had a 5 minute patch in the second where I thought he'd been moved down back. We looked that much better straight away, a lot more direct. Yarran takes out the middle man. He runs and he delivers. He is an efficient footballer coming out of defence.

To those I doubted, the egg tastes quite nice ATM. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #13
Amazing what a week does, eh PI2C  ;)

Reply #14
Where was this team last week?

I thought Gibbs was brilliant today!
Some just dont seem to like him on here ( sheik????)
I agree about bell, I think bells r ringing in his head, as his awareness is horrific
Menzel is gunna b a gun
Mcinnes is gunna b a back man  for a long while.
Graham needs more game time
Warnock is a giant, & will hopefully go there!
Waite may b good but may b better as trade bait
Brock was very good ( what a turnaround from last year)
Irish is turning into a favourite
The amigos may not be there next year
Hendo is our man