Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 21655 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney

Enjoy the game, those who see it. Hopefully we can show the same spirit we showed late last week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 18: Post Game In depth Analysis and Soul Searching: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #1
GReat mark & goal for Charlie

Reply #2
The best team lost :(

Reply #3
Not a lot to complain about. We pushed another top 4 team to the max, umpires didn't decide the game, our young guys showed a bit again, older guys led like leaders should, we went clearance for clearance against the best in the business. Plus with an ounce of luck and pinch of class, we could have won!!

Reply #4
Charlie Curnow's injury probably cost us the game, that and a lack of polish.
We never lose our self belief these days which is our biggest improvement this season, but we are still four or five skilled players short of a good side.
I was proud of our team today, they really had no right getting that close.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #5
We missed Charlie in the last.  The Swans defenders could double and triple team Casboult knowing that there wasn't another marking option.  I reckon that contributed to some of the long kicks at goal; there weren't many other options.

I just had a quick look at the team stats and they are remarkably close.  A draw would have been a fitting result.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
Just roared down the highway from Mackay to Rockhampton towing the van to get to a c.park that was the only one with a site available, planning to find a club/pyb with Foxtel but as I set up I hear the game being played.  The bloke in the next site is a Swans supporter so left the setting up to the missus and joined him watching his computer screen.  Could not believe my luck.  The Blues going well and the bloke is very convivial, gets to 8 minutes to go and the computer battery runs out - end of show and the start of a new show as he pays out on his wife for flattening the battery reading a book earlier on.  I crept away.  Thanks for the final score.

Reply #7
Charlie Curnow: so near, yet so far. Didn't get many disposals, but he ALMOST got heaps. That little extra experience and strength, and who knows?
Dylan Buckley: how can a guy who has been in the system as long as he has still run out of juice at half time? I know I've said it before, but he was really good early. yet he finished with a handful of possessions. It p*sses me off big time, because he looked seriously dangerous in the first half.
Jack Silvagni was pretty quiet today. He didn't appear to get much room or many opportunities. He will learn from it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
Fantastic signs of belief, confidence, tenacity, and undying effort. Don't have the polish to score (yet). Like last week, can't fault their system or endeavor.
Giving two of the big boys a good shake consecutive weeks is a win for mine.

Not sure how today's result compares with the last couple against Sydney, but I'm guessing there's little to compare. Looks lime the crêpe of yesterday is dead and gone  ;D

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #9
I'll make a big call.... If Charlie had of played the game out we would have won.  At least he has a clue how to play forward and has a bit of the x factor needed to win those type of game.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
I'll make a big call.... If Charlie had of played the game out we would have won.  At least he has a clue how to play forward and has a bit of the x factor needed to win those type of game.

No doubt we would have won having  another target down there.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #11
A really poor 3rd quarter probably cost us the game in the end.

Thought we competed really well, especially with Curnow going down, and Rampe and Grundy completely shutting down Silvagni and Casboult.

Reply #12
Backline again worked well together lead by Dougherty, Simpson and Rowe who I thought held up well against Franklin. I think that the settled backline is the answer to the question, why not give KJ a week down back?  No need to, we want a settled back 6.

Reply #13
I think we definitely need a better forward target than Levi unfortunately. Replacing him and Kerridge with better would make a big difference IMO. Not the full answer but a fair way towards it.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14
Lods nailed it... the best team didn't win!
t agree re the loss of Curnow - it allowed the Swans to clamp down on our other 'forwards'.

A lot to like though. If you'd told pre-game that me we'd win 3 quarters and run the swans to the end I'd have been happy.  But we still had so many chances and didn't get it done so that hurts... and it bloody well should.  Plus I put a cheeky $50 on the boys at $11 and an unlikely win would've kept me in gin for at least a few weeks.  Definitely building something though.
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...