Skip to main content

Poll

Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

1-4
[ 0 ] (0%)
5-8
[ 0 ] (0%)
9-12
[ 11 ] (17.2%)
13-15
[ 17 ] (26.6%)
16-18
[ 36 ] (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: March 23, 2017, 11:05:37 pm

Topic: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017? (Read 37636 times) previous topic - next topic

Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

OK, forget about what-ifs.

Someone has a gun to your head and says put your house on where you think Carlton will finish the home and away season. Not where you WANT them to finish. Not where you HOPE they finish. Where they will actually finish.

Note: Poll will run for 6 days (should finish after the Tigers game) and results should will be hidden until then. That way nobody can be influenced by our game, or other peoples votes.

So....have at it.

Re: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

Reply #1
If you look at all the things that could go right...(several players exceeding expectations, other sides crippled by injury etc) we could make the eight.

If you have a positive outlook and expect a steady rate of improvement and if you think the list is stronger and more players will improve than go backwards then you would probably be thinking about 9-12.

If you're feeling a bit negative about our situation poor pre-season, lack of forward power and can't really see where we have improved our list...and perhaps are expecting a few players like Weitering and Silvagni to have second year blues you would probably be thinking around 13-15

If you are thinking that everything that could go wrong will go wrong then Bottom 3 is where you'll have us.

If you asked the players where they expected to finish I wonder how many of them would say bottom 3.
I'd be really disappointed if even one of them was thinking bottom 3

Reply #2
If you look at all the things that could go right...(several players exceeding expectations, other sides crippled by injury etc) we could make the eight.

If you have a positive outlook and expect a steady rate of improvement and if you think the list is stronger and more players will improve than go backwards then you would probably be thinking about 9-12.

If you're feeling a bit negative about our situation poor pre-season, lack of forward power and can't really see where we have improved our list...and perhaps are expecting a few players like Weitering and Silvagni to have second year blues you would probably be thinking around 13-15

If you are thinking that everything that could go wrong will go wrong then Bottom 3 is where you'll have us.

If you asked the players where they expected to finish I wonder how many of them would say bottom 3.
I'd be really disappointed if even one of them was thinking bottom 3

Put your house on the line. Out of all of the above scenarios, optimistic, pessimistic or otherwise. What position will most likely result in you keeping your house.

Reply #3
Put your house on the line. Out of all of the above scenarios, optimistic, pessimistic or otherwise. What position will most likely result in you keeping your house.

9 to 12 for the reasons outlined

Reply #4
We will be about the same but we will begin to see the light

Reply #6
13-15.
Despite occasional optimism we are pretty awful. If we snag 6-7 wins things will go as expected.  Getting young players some experience and having them play some glimpses of consistent football is essential.

Fewer wins would be acceptable if it was because of injuries to senior players.

Reply #7
I just can't see us scoring enough to win more than 2 or 3 games

Reply #8
[1] We will not finish last:
I know the pundits rate us poorly and our pre-season has been poor, but I would not be surprised if we shocked a few wins. Our key forwards look ... questionable, but it now looks that we do have some crumbing options.

[2] Injuries are out key:
We have structural issues and a very young and inexperienced list. Key injuries would hurt us a lot. If we lose our experienced players, we will be bottom 3 material.

[3] Each year there is a team that falls:
Last year Freo dropped like a rock. North have thrown away their best players. Someone will fall unexpectedly. It can be us.

[4] Brisbane:
They may lift against us, but they have also lost unlosable games. I don't see them rising this season.

I expect us to remain about the same as last year. We may drop a place (slightly more likely) and gain a place (slightly less likely), but I do not see us as bottom 2 material.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #9
Ok, I voted 9-12 before I read Kruddlers OP.

I would probably drop down to 13-15 under his premise, although I believe we are capable of too much fluctuation, to be willing to bet too much on any result. A really bad year could see us finish botttom 2. A really good year could see us sneak into the top 8. Reality will probably be somewhere in the middle.

Being an optimist and not only looking for but expecting improvement on last year, I'm looking for more than 7 wins and/or a higher ladder position than 14th, or maybe the best indicator, a better percentage than 79.3.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #10
Interesting that our crap forward line with Casboult on one leg for a number of weeks was able to snag us 7 wins last year.

Where has our forward line deteriorated since last year?
Has the supply to our forward line deteriorated since last year?
Defensively, are we likely to leak more goals than last years?
In the centre square, are our starting four worse than last year? (Cripps looked hampered for most of it, Murphy was injured for the second half, Kruezer has never been fitter)

We didn't fluke too many of those 7, and there were a couple of performances that scared the crap out of a few teams.

9-12

Reply #11
I expect we most likely finish between 13-15, we will be equal or better than we were last year but I am not sure that equates to any more wins. We have to wait and see who slides.

As Buckenara stated, we basically got it right in trade and draft week, so we should not expect to go backwards.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
12-15th.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
15th-18th...