Skip to main content
Topic: SSM Plebiscite (Read 110196 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SSM Plebiscite

Reply #465
Just quoting myself here... ;)
The regionality of the plebiscite seems to have had a big influence of our perceptions of how it would turn out.

I thought Kruddler was being wildly optimistic with some of his predictions but he was probably in one of those high '80+' Yes electorates.
My own electorate was about the 60-40.
The Labor folk I referenced above were from the Liverpool region where strong Labor electorates voted emphatically NO

I was in a 65% electorate as it turns out, but my 'network' i guess was spread far and wide across multiple electorates interestingly the next electorate a just a malcolm blight torpedo away and was 53%....but Melbourne was a clear 83.7%.

Reply #467
I wonder why Abbott abstained ?

Reply #470
I wonder why Abbott abstained ?

The same reason the conservative Libs kept proposing amendments knowing that they would be voted down.

Apparently Abbott did have the main proponents of the bill in his office to help empty his bar ... and he did make a comment about his sister now being able to marry her partner.

I can't believe I'm defending Abbott.

Anyway it's done and dusted after far too much angst, unnecessary debate, time wasting and wasting public money. Perhaps our politicians might start thinking about important policy issues now  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #471

Anyway it's done and dusted after far too much angst, unnecessary debate, time wasting and wasting public money. Perhaps our politicians might start thinking about important policy issues now  :-\

Exactly.
The latest estimate is between 140 and 160 million dollars wasted.
The biggest non event in our parliaments history.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #472
...........and now for the dual citizenship issue.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #473
The same reason the conservative Libs kept proposing amendments knowing that they would be voted down.

Apparently Abbott did have the main proponents of the bill in his office to help empty his bar ... and he did make a comment about his sister now being able to marry her partner.

I can't believe I'm defending Abbott.

You nailed it right there, DJC Old Son. So many put through so much so unnecessarily at ridiculous cost - psychological, spiritual and financial cost that is.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #474
You nailed it right there, DJC Old Son. So many put through so much so unnecessarily at ridiculous cost - psychological, spiritual and financial cost that is.

I'm one who was very critical of the plebiscite (postal survey).
I still regard it as a waste of money given that a same sex marriage bill would have passed through parliament anyway.

Watching the debate yesterday though I do wonder whether some of the amendments proposed would have passed if there had been no emphatic plebiscite YES vote.

We still would have had the legislation but in maybe a slightly different form.

Reply #475
Apparently the ABS managed to conduct the same sex marriage opinion poll for $80M or thereabouts.  Well done ABS, but it's still $80M that could have been put to better use.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #476
I'm one who was very critical of the plebiscite (postal survey).
I still regard it as a waste of money given that a same sex marriage bill would have passed through parliament anyway.

Watching the debate yesterday though I do wonder whether some of the amendments proposed would have passed if there had been no emphatic plebiscite YES vote.

We still would have had the legislation but in maybe a slightly different form.

Yeah, i think that is the main thing to come from the vote, the finer details of it all.

Who can say what kind of bastardised version of SSM would have been passed if the general public had not have essentially forced their hand.

Reply #477
Apparently the ABS managed to conduct the same sex marriage opinion poll for $80M or thereabouts.  Well done ABS, but it's still $80M that could have been put to better use.

Agreed but at least we got something out of it not like the $1b spent on not building the East West link.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #478
Agreed but at least we got something out of it not like the $1b spent on not building the East West link.
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( #imbeciles
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #479
Well, after all that..........

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/samesex-marriage-legalised-in-australia-as-parliament-passes-historic-law-20171206-h00cdj.html

Welcome Navy Maven, and I expect an invite !  ;D

Haha thanks Paul, guess i’m going to have to start saving now....I have no more excuses  :)