Skip to main content
Topic: Shaun Marsh - a ton. (Read 16990 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Shaun Marsh - a ton.

Reply #45
Ducking bats need to take a long hard look at themselves, pathetic today.

I'm a Handscombe fan but he has to go and rediscover whatever technique he had.  He's a walking wicket ATM.

Handscombe needs dropping....back on the stumps and squared up to the bowlers makes him a LBW candidate every ball, think he might have got ahead of himself a bit.
Needs to spend less time yapping to the likes of Root, Bairstow and more time in the nets learning to play a forward defensive shot...

Reply #46
We a posted about whitewashes and one sided tests prior to the Brisbane result. Now it looks like the poor standards of cricket have truly become a great leveller making an unpredictable result.

Should we really be complaining?

The bowlers haven't been too bad, be it that they are inconsistent, at least they look at times to be test standard.

The batting in general seems poor, even those making some runs are like chickens scratching at the ground, the fielding has been a bit ordinary as well.

For whatever reason, the captaincy that was at best average or variable in Brisbane has become poor in Adelaide, I suppose that is poor playing performances making the captains look worse. (Note to Murphy!)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
I have no issues not enforcing the follow-on. Tired bowlers don't have the same effect as fresh bowlers even at night. If England hit tired bowlers for 450 runs then we have a tricky chase. What you do is bat properly and make sure you make more than 138 even if the opposition do bowl well. Even 200 in the 2nd innings would've made the chase 416.

Criticising not enforcing the follow-on just excuses our bad batting.

We still should win, especially if we get an early wicket, but we have to be a bit better and smarter with things.

Reply #48
Handscombe needs dropping....back on the stumps and squared up to the bowlers makes him a LBW candidate every ball, think he might have got ahead of himself a bit.
Needs to spend less time yapping to the likes of Root, Bairstow and more time in the nets learning to play a forward defensive shot...

Exactly. He's become a smart R'se.

Needs to get  back to basics and start playing cricket again.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #49
I have no issues not enforcing the follow-on. Tired bowlers don't have the same effect as fresh bowlers even at night. If England hit tired bowlers for 450 runs then we have a tricky chase. What you do is bat properly and make sure you make more than 138 even if the opposition do bowl well. Even 200 in the 2nd innings would've made the chase 416.

I agree, I've no problem with that it made sense and the critics are full of hindsight.

My issues with captaincy are the bizarre fields and bowler management, and a little bit about the argy bargy which should be beneath the captain. The captains should leave that stuff up to the meat heads like Warner and Broad. When captains start to participate, there is nobody left to reign it in.

The best captains are always calm and cold!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Exactly. He's become a smart R'se.

Needs to get  back to basics and start playing cricket again.

Root had a good crack at him the night before. It goes two ways.

Reply #51
Ironic that Patty Cummins has now become our #1 quick, no doubt about it.  He was trying his heart out last night & could've had another couple in that last spell with a bit of luck......Hazelwood & Starc.....just don't have what he has......they look pedestrian, and all the talk about Starcs swing......I've yet to see it against anyone but numbers 9, 10 & 11.

What a shame Pattinson is out again.....he has the mongrel that those two are sorely missing.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #52
Ironic that Patty Cummins has now become our #1 quick, no doubt about it.  He was trying his heart out last night & could've had another couple in that last spell with a bit of luck......Hazelwood & Starc.....just don't have what he has......they look pedestrian, and all the talk about Starcs swing......I've yet to see it against anyone but numbers 9, 10 & 11.

What a shame Pattinson is out again.....he has the mongrel that those two are sorely missing.

Hazelwood's a gun normally but he has been very average this series. Starc's ok but can be a touch overrated too. He doesn't swing it like Anderson. Our bowlers make not have had the same effect if we made them follow-on for that reason, especially when tired.

Reply #53

We still should win, especially if we get an early wicket, but we have to be a bit better and smarter with things.

Like that was always going to happen with the Poms batting in those night conditions on Day 3!

Even D. Saker has now come out and said they got it wrong.... major tactical blunder, pure and simple.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
Hazelwood's a gun normally but he has been very average this series. Starc's ok but can be a touch overrated too. He doesn't swing it like Anderson. Our bowlers make not have had the same effect if we made them follow-on for that reason, especially when tired.

our boys just expect it all to happen too often.

But they'll come out fired up today.

A couple of quick wickets and it's sayonara.....

And Root was out to Lyon. The ball tracking system is f...d.

He was playing right back in his crease, it hit the rear pad maybe 15cm in front of the wickets off a spin bowler at say 90km/hr (and the ball is clearly decelerating by then).

Politics at play?
The projected trajectory was blatently wrong imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #55

How long would they have to have bowled for - a session under lights and then a good rest before mopping up the tail on the following day.

The idea that Smith was protecting his tired bowlers is rubbish.  They would have ripped through a disconsolate team bereft of confidence and batting under lights with the ball looping around.

Poor captaincy followed by incredibly poor body language in the field.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #56
How long would they have to have bowled for - a session under lights and then a good rest before mopping up the tail on the following day.

The idea that Smith was protecting his tired bowlers is rubbish.  They would have ripped through a disconsolate team bereft of confidence and batting under lights with the ball looping around.

Poor captaincy followed by incredibly poor body language in the field.

It's not rubbish. it was close to 80 overs. How do you know how fresh they were? They would not have come out and had the same effect as the English bowlers as they weren't as fresh. You assuming they would've have just gone through them and mopped up the tail. Crap, they would not had the same effect and they could've gone on to make 450 leaving a tricky chase. Like I said, bat well and make more than 138.

Reply #57
BOWLING   O   M   R   W   ECON   WD   NB   
MA Starc   20.0   4   49   3   2.45   0   0   
JR Hazlewood   16.0   3   56   1   3.50   0   0   
PJ Cummins   16.0   3   47   2   2.93   1   0   
NM Lyon   24.1   5   60   4   2.48   0   0

They had the dinner break to rest up knowing they would have one session to go hard.

Laughable.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
i think the Poms had faced about 10 overs the night before before rain?

So the Aussies had bowled roughly 70 of the 90 required overs on Day 3....

Even if 30 overs were needed - 7 overs a head!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #59

Hazelwood gets more treatment as the batsman tend to pick him as the easier quick to hit out of the three.....he bowls more full and isnt as quick.
Also tends not to use the bouncer as much and as you say doesnt swing it like Anderson...
We lack a fifth bowler who can come on and do some of the monkey work stuff which also doesnt help Hazelwood who ends up doing that role....
Overall seems down on confidence too...his batting has gone to crape,  and even in the field he seems slower to react...needs to get nastier with the ball....