Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2018 (Read 14050 times) previous topic - next topic

Australian Open 2018

Ahhh..........

Another Australian Open - another Stosur capitulation. I like her - she seems like a good sort, but her situation seems almost chronic to me.

And let's hope the Big Pealla can knock over that smelly, mouldy block of Swiss Cheese. I can't see it happening - Rafa hasn't played enough in recent times, and his knees don't give me much confidence.

VAMOS !

Re: Australian Open 2018

Reply #1
Have to feel sorry for Stosur, hopefully sh'll be a good coach.

Great career given her 'issues'.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2
It's a shame about Sam but her best seems to behind her.  It's a bit like Alicia Molik in that she promised so much but couldn't deliver.  Of course, Molik had a debilitating medical condition.

It's not all doom and gloom though; we seem to have some promising youngsters, Ash and Dasher are doing OK and Nick Kyrgios appears to have turned the corner ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
It's a shame about Sam but her best seems to behind her.  It's a bit like Alicia Molik in that she promised so much but couldn't deliver.  Of course, Molik had a debilitating medical condition.

It's not all doom and gloom though; we seem to have some promising youngsters, Ash and Dasher are doing OK and Nick Kyrgios appears to have turned the corner ????
what was it?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Stosur just cannot play hard court tennis.

She's a clay courter and hence why she's not that good at the Australian open.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
what was it?

If I remember correctly, she had an inner ear infection that developed into something more serious.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
The 24-year-old Melbourne-based South Australian suffers from vestibular neuronitis, which affects her balance and vision and leaves her low on energy and unable to recover from matches. The condition has plagued Molik since March when she contracted a virus, which permanently damaged her inner ear.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/alicia-moliks-run-of-ill-health-continues/2005/10/19/1129401318718.html

Stosur meanwhile simply chokes more often than not sadly, whatever the surface!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #7
She played that match point way too safe and was hoping for an error, after that she was toast.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
Stosur just cannot play hard court tennis.

She's a clay courter and hence why she's not that good at the Australian open.

She won her only grand slam at the US Open...

I think with Sam it is between her ears
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #9
entirely.

And for a girl with muscles to burn and a 'strong' serve in the scheme of women's tennis she surely loses her serve a lot...

When she tightens up everything simply collapses - her serve, her forehand and her footwork.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #10
I don't think Sam is a "natural" tennis player - there are too many times where she plays what she has learnt as opposed to what the opponent or conditions warrant.  Add an obvious mental frailty and it just doesn't work for her.

She has been amazing in all the press conferences over the years, never losing her cool, calm, polite, friendly.

Reply #11
i think she WAS a natural player but too many coaches tried to mold her game rather than deal with her core problem....her head, early on in her career.

She has lost entirely the ability to flatten out her serve and her ground strokes...and hence loses a lot of the power advantage she should have over most all of the other female players.

That said, she has won a Slam and beaten Serena in the process. That alone is praiseworthy.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #12
Sam should just sit back and count her Millions ;)  :D
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #13
Yeah...imagine how average you would have to be to play in the last 16 Australian Opens and remain in the world Top 20 year after year...

Here is a thought:  What is she preferred clay court instead of the AO surface and hated having "the nation's hopes on her shoulders" - she just wanted to play without the "expectations"?

Despite the cynicism here, I'm pretty sure Sam is happy with her CV...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #14
She won her only grand slam at the US Open...

I think with Sam it is between her ears

She had another appearance in a grand slam final and that was the French.

The fact she didnt get the chocolates isnt as important as she has made both finals, and only won one of them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson