Skip to main content
Topic: Some more thoughts from the 'Pros' (Read 13574 times) previous topic - next topic

Some more thoughts from the 'Pros'

Reader's pick: 15th

Experts' picksRANK
Jake Niall17th
Michael Gleeson17th
Peter Ryan15th
Jon Pierik15th
Daniel Cherny12th
Warwick Green17th

Why they can make the eight

The Blues will hope for eight wins this year, which means the finals are a further four unexpected victories away. That looks like a big leap but, remember, they lost six matches by 19 points or less last season. If Jacob Weitering, Sam Petrevski-Seton and Charlie Curnow can become consistent, strong performers and Harry McKay kicks goals, the Blues could build momentum quickly.

Why they can't make the eight
There is still so much work to be done. The Blues had only seven wins in 2016 and six last year, including one from their final 10 matches. This list does boast great promise but it is still too early to expect a consistent, hardened side. Sam Docherty's absence is a major blow.

Jon Pierik
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Re: Some more thoughts from the 'Pros'

Reply #1
You expect them to proclaim us as flag favorites ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #2
Both the readers and the experts have us bottom 4, except Cherny, which IMO is about right. No Docherty, lots of kids, new game plan, half a forward line. On paper and recent form, I'm not sure what other conclusion one could reach.

Reply #3
No, but I'm amazed the Pies, Saints and Hawks consistently get rated ahead of us.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #4
No, but I'm amazed the Pies, Saints and Hawks consistently get rated ahead of us.....

Predictions of various types usually err on the conservative side. This fact, plus other aspects regarding the way predictions are made, mean that it's not unreasonable to rate those sides above us.

Reply #5
Predictions of various types usually err on the conservative side. This fact, plus other aspects regarding the way predictions are made, mean that it's not unreasonable to rate those sides above us.

Because of Eddie's influence, no one in the media will ever stick the knives into the Pies as they repeatedly do to us....

Hawks get extra points because of their recent premiership history, not their current list.

Saints, well meh.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #6
Even with Docherty missing I think the club would want to be out of the bottom 4 at seasons end, no-one expects finals but if you are selling a rebuild/progress we need more wins than last season where we went backwards.

Reply #7
Because of Eddie's influence, no one in the media will ever stick the knives into the Pies as they repeatedly do to us....

Hawks get extra points because of their recent premiership history, not their current list.

Saints, well meh.

All three of those teams OUGHT to finish above us. Saints have a more mature list, in development for longer. Also looks like McCartin might play. Pies - well who knows ? The list is unbalanced IMO, but they have enough talent and experience to justify the higher rating compared to us. And the Hawks have Clarkson plus (more importantly) Ratts, plus runs on the board, so once again, maybe not finals, but they won't bottom out IMO.

I wouldn't worry about predictions. The real world has a way of making them seem gossamer and irrelevant. Some teams will perform as expected, some will disappear up their own ar$e$, and some will come from nowhere and surprise everyone.

Reply #8
Every expert football media person had the Tiggers and Doggies shoe in favourites to win the flag over the last two years.
Always has been and always will be crystal ball stuff.
No one looks back at what they said at the end of the season.

Internally the boys have goals to meet, do you job and the results will come.

Go NEW BLUES!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #9
Even with Docherty missing I think the club would want to be out of the bottom 4 at seasons end, no-one expects finals but if you are selling a rebuild/progress we need more wins than last season where we went backwards.

Yes, there will be pressure to perform and I imagine there will be more effort from the coaching staff and players to win the close games.

I reckon Cherny has got our prospects nailed.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
Yes, there will be pressure to perform and I imagine there will be more effort from the coaching staff and players to win the close games.

I reckon Cherny has got our prospects nailed.

Saints game showed we will be more attacking at the risk of some turnovers, but kicking goals is more a focus and I expect that to pay dividends with more wins.
I was more negative pre JLT series but I now see us being very competitive with midpack clubs and finishing 12-14 rather than 15-18 and I think thats a reasonable aim and one that
should satisfy members/supporters...

Reply #11
The writers will be cagey about our prospects as most would not want to go too far out on a limb at this stage. I don't therefore really worry too much about what they may say one way or the other. Personally I'm confident in us being more attacking and competitive this year and this should snag us a few more wins and even cause an upset or two. If we could end up 10 - 12 I would be content. In the 8 would be fantastic.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12
I expect 9th to 12th, nothing less!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
There comes a point where you have to put the bar up and say "We're going to jump this!"

We can't keep looking at the coming season each March and be thinking "Well maybe not this year...but next year for sure!"

Reply #14
Whilst I realise there is some conjecture as to whether the 3 year, 66 game rebuild is a media or CFC construct, when I look at the list, I still see 1 season to go before things get significantly better. The kids don't have enough games under their belts, the forward line is still questionable, midfield 50/50. So I think 2019 is when we will see a move up the ladder of some substance. At least I hope. 2018 is still a little early for mine - not enough pieces of the puzzle in place.