Skip to main content
Topic: Womens Footy - Will It Really Last ?? (Read 5592 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Womens Footy - Will It Really Last ??

Reply #15
It'll sort over time. With a pathway now for women alot more juniors will play hence alot more talent will come through the system. That'll flow through over the next 5-6 years. It has to start somewhere.

Short-sighted people will look at the "now" and say it's no good, those that think a bit more will se that, like any new competition, it will improve as grass roots depth improves.

God posts like these are utterly ridiculous.
if you have a different opinion you sre short sighted, but the oracles can see it better.

Eveyone knows that the skills will improve, that doesn't mean they will (and doesn't mean they won't) ever get to a level where the brand is strong enough for a professional full time league or that enough people will pay good money to watch it.

Australian's have a lot of choices on what sports to spend their money on and only a few of them attract really big crowds. To support a 10 player (at a guess) netball roster requires a lot less cash than a full time football league.
I think most people will be happy for the women if it takes off, but it is far from sure that this this brand will be a brand that people maintain interest in and importantly people and organisations want to put enough money into so as to allow the women to turn professional.

The debate is a reasonable one for people to have on both sides and certainly isn't a foregone conclusion it will be successful.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #16
if you have a different opinion you sre short sighted, but the oracles can see it better.

Eveyone knows that the skills will improve, that doesn't mean they will (and doesn't mean they won't) ever get to a level where the brand is strong enough for a professional full time league or that enough people will pay good money to watch it.

Australian's have a lot of choices on what sports to spend their money on and only a few of them attract really big crowds. To support a 10 player (at a guess) netball roster requires a lot less cash than a full time football league.
I think most people will be happy for the women if it takes off, but it is far from sure that this this brand will be a brand that people maintain interest in and importantly people and organisations want to put enough money into so as to allow the women to turn professional.

The debate is a reasonable one for people to have on both sides and certainly isn't a foregone conclusion it will be successful.

What you say is correct, and far be it from me to stick up for Jimbo but...
When the AFL sets its mind to something it usually comes off.

The things that people are saying about the AFLW are almost word for word the type of stuff people said about South Melboune moving to Sydney.
That can be echoed further with Brisbane.
Less so with the more traditional football states WA, SA, but still uttered.
Again, GC and GWS had more detractors than supporters....and although we are still in the infancy of that, the AFL is playing the long game. It took Sydney a whole generation before that was considered 'established'.

So sure, what you say is true....but the AFL have an exceptional record in this sort of thing.
Even if it doesn't get prime time viewing, the AFLW is here to stay.

Reply #17
Yeah I am not sure that adding expansion clubs counts the same as adding a different league.
They have failed when bringing new concepts previous as well.
The Lightning Championship was meant to be exciting, it was crap and is a long distant memory for those that can recall it.

The AFL may have clubs on the Gold Coast and GWS and you are right they are trying to play a long game with them, but they are the big show, they draw from and contribute to the income streams of the major game and having success there they have a chance to draw sponsors drawn to the biggest spectator league in Australia.

The women's absolutely could league, but they have a hell of a lot of hurdles to get there
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #18
oh its great...   girls playing a mans game  (  the men aren't allowed to be men anymore )

fantastic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxmCCsMoD0

POXXX
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #19
Yeah I am not sure that adding expansion clubs counts the same as adding a different league.
They have failed when bringing new concepts previous as well.
The Lightning Championship was meant to be exciting, it was crap and is a long distant memory for those that can recall it.

The AFL may have clubs on the Gold Coast and GWS and you are right they are trying to play a long game with them, but they are the big show, they draw from and contribute to the income streams of the major game and having success there they have a chance to draw sponsors drawn to the biggest spectator league in Australia.

The women's absolutely could league, but they have a hell of a lot of hurdles to get there

I'd argue that it was easier adding a 7 round season of womens football in the off-season than it was introducing 2 clubs in 'enemy territory' up north in an established competition in the modern age.

Womens comp costs what 10 mil? Max.
The other 2 teams cost closer to 100mil to setup and fund.

Reply #20
I will be upfront here and state that I have no interest whatsoever in the AFLW, the little bits of seen look no better than an U/15 boys game.

Question is, will this version of the game really stand the test of time or will it be a short-lived idea ??
Agree with this, no interest at all. Seems almost like a political ploy we will let all sexes play etc , but as a spectial lacks skill sets, the intensity definitely there , and much credit to the ladies playing , but hasn't created the interest, personal opinion only

Reply #21
The test of a sport isn't how well it does when it's good, but how poorly it does when it isn't going so well.

The girls have had a crap season and my interest disappeared with it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
the AFL have an exceptional record in this sort of thing.

They do, do they?

I'm listening....

What a crock. The AFL is an overly powerful body that has long outgrown it's usefulness....and indeed, it's raison d'etre.

I can list countless things they have got wrong over the years.

Let me know when you want me to start?  :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23

No apostrophe in “Australians” MIO, but that’s neither here nor there  ;)

Of course the debate is reasonable, but there is the fact that it seems to be largely conducted by folk of the male persuasion.

It seems to me that the AFLW has really taken off with folk of the female persuasion, and particularly with females who haven’t previously followed AFL.  As females represent more than 50% of the population, AFLW has the potential to become more popular than AFLM.  Whether that happens is largely dependent on the AFL’s ability to understand the phenomenon and allow it to run its course.

I have missed more games than I watched this season but I enjoyed our game against Freo (for 3 quarters).  It was hard, there was a bit of niggle, and there was more than a hint of how the women’s game could develop, if wise heads prevail.  The marking clash that knocked the stuffing out of Tayla Harris and two Freo players was one of the classic footy moments.

I reckon there’s a bright future for the AFLW, provided the AFL doesn’t stuff it up.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #24
Women's soccer is pretty good imo and seems to be getting more and more popular. Some of the players are of a very high standard eg Kerr, Vanna and the Aussies have had some success. I'm not a fan of it though as I don't really like soccer. If the AFL wants to emulate this it must try and improve the spectacle.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #25
Local arguments for or against women's football are the very same that were floated around in the UK on the start-up of the Women's FA. Now WFA is live on Free-to-Air most weekends as an afternoon option for the lead up to a FA broadcast. They have it on in pubs a clubs, under pay-per-view regimes so they are actually handing over cash to watch it!

I was in the UK recently and the WFA was attracting crowds of 15000 for typical games and it was OK to watch. In fact the lack of staging for frees, or badgering and begging to referees, made it a game that seemed to flow better than the men's game!

With the WFA the same obvious differences appear, the power in kicks and brute force, but I wouldn't say speed was a big difference, and the girls I watched were very agile and well coordinated, perhaps even better than the men at the finer subtle skills.

The men could learn a thing or two from the girls about team-work and structures, I suppose it's the old multi-tasking argument! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Local arguments for or against women's football are the very same that were floated around in the UK on the start-up of the Women's FA. Now WFA is live on Free-to-Air most weekends as an afternoon option for the lead up to a FA broadcast. They have it on in pubs a clubs, under pay-per-view regimes so they are actually handing over cash to watch it!

I was in the UK recently and the WFA was attracting crowds of 15000 for typical games and it was OK to watch. In fact the lack of staging for frees, or badgering and begging to referees, made it a game that seemed to flow better than the men's game!

With the WFA the same obvious differences appear, the power in kicks and brute force, but I wouldn't say speed was a big difference, and the girls I watched were very agile and well coordinated, perhaps even better than the men at the finer subtle skills.

The men could learn a thing or two from the girls about team-work and structures, I suppose it's the old multi-tasking argument! :o

Its an awful brand. They cannot kick. Will be extinct in 5.

Reply #27
Women's soccer is pretty good imo and seems to be getting more and more popular. Some of the players are of a very high standard eg Kerr, Vanna and the Aussies have had some success. I'm not a fan of it though as I don't really like soccer. If the AFL wants to emulate this it must try and improve the spectacle.

Surely some of our top Matildas and international netballers must be scratching their heads at the exposure that this group of (mostly) suburban triers is receiving.  Also, with the AFLX and the far stronger teams being fielded for the JLT, the AFL has taken a fair bit of oxygen away from AFLW.

Reply #28

Agreed, I think they(The AFL) made a mistake it trying to have the girls play to the same tactical game style as the men. Instead they should be developing game tactics that play to the girls strengths and weaknesses.
The Force Awakens!