Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 570497 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1140
Handscombe's fielding has been outstanding.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1141
Wow, you are not impressed with Maxwells batting?
I think he looks far more composed than anyone bar Smith.
He is a class above the others and makes Warner look foolish.
I also think Handscombe, for his first tour has done pretty well.

I like Maxwell, he does play the stupid shots too often, but I agree up right until that moment he looks like he is capable on all pitches in all conditions.

I agree about Warner, he is not a sub-continent batsmen, and probably not suited to the West Indies either. England, Sth Africa, New Zealand and at home he's in the mix. But he's just not up to grinding out a long innings for not many runs.

The defects in the Marsh techniques, both of them, are far more glaring than the problems Watson suffered. I don't understand why the ACB persists, it must be something to do with their dad, the selectors and the ACB contracts.

I have no idea why Marsh and Maxwell have had 11 overs between them in three and a half test matches.

It's all upside for Handscomb, excluding ACB politics he'll go right past the likes of Warner or Khawaja and be the countries next captain.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1142
The preparedness to grind was a positive move IMO.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1143
A lot of god stuff on this tour, but also a lot of bad and repetition of the same old mistakes.

Putting performances of individuals to one side, the selection policies and tactics have at times been beyond baffling - all the talk pre series about all rounders, and then across 4 tests Marsh / Maxy bowled 8 overs!!! How can the selectors and captain be so out of sync??? Same happened at the SCG with Cartwright - we just keep doing the same thing over and over. If Smith doesn't rate these guys as bowlers then just pick the best No6 batsman and be done with it.

And the batting of Wade yesterday was some of the dumbest cricket I've ever seen - to bat for 15 overs on that pitch for 15 runs was just pure madness. Our only chance was to score runs, push the field back and put some pressure on India. Instead we did exactly what they wanted us to do. Finally Cummins gets out, and when Lyon comes in Wade takes a single off the first ball of the over to expose Lyon, who nicks the second ball he faces. At this point, 9 down, Wade starts swinging and get 15 runs before mistiming a run on the last ball of an over to expose JH. And that was all she wrote.

These guys are professional, full time cricketers with a coach, and this is the sort of stupidity they show when the game and series is on the line. It annoys the hell out me that we get undone by boneheaded play so often.

Reply #1144
Wow, you are not impressed with Maxwells batting?
I think he looks far more composed than anyone bar Smith.
He is a class above the others and makes Warner look foolish.
I also think Handscombe, for his first tour has done pretty well.

Yes, Maxwell looked at home and deserves first go in the Ashes series. I wouldn't mind going 4 quicks, Starc, Hazelwood, Cummind and Pattinson with Maxwell in the First Test, although Lyon's done a great job. Batting will look alot stronger at home with each position covered. Indian conditions are so foreign to most of our batsmen. Bar the 3rd Test it was a tough low scoring series so not worried so much batting averages in the series. I thought we'd be whitewashed totally, like every other country has been in India, but to make such a tight contest was very encouraging.

Reply #1145
Yes, Maxwell looked at home and deserves first go in the Ashes series. I wouldn't mind going 4 quicks, Starc, Hazelwood, Cummind and Pattinson with Maxwell in the First Test, although Lyon's done a great job. Batting will look alot stronger at home with each position covered. Indian conditions are so foreign to most of our batsmen. Bar the 3rd Test it was a tough low scoring series so not worried so much batting averages in the series. I thought we'd be whitewashed totally, like every other country has been in India, but to make such a tight contest was very encouraging.

I agree...be the 4 quicks for me vs the Poms, especially if Ali is batting down the order at 7 or 8 as their frontline spinner...we need the firepower to clean up their tail and
not give cheap late order runs away. India got way too many runs from their bowling allrounder types and from the keeper...Pattinson can also bat a bit as he showed in the shield final...

Reply #1146
Kohli........ensuring he'll get a nice warm welcome form the Aus crowds next time he's here.

Honestly, what a prat.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1147
Kohli........ensuring he'll get a nice warm welcome form the Aus crowds next time he's here.

Honestly, what a prat.

Strong early leading candidate for DH of the year!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1148

Honestly, what a prat.

What the hell?  What DID we say/do to make him so embittered!?!

And while I'm at it - Aussies cricketers in India. Brave under the conditions? Playing in a cauldron? Intense pressure and scrutiny?

Pffft. Pussies.

Reminds of a certain justifiably arrogant football club that used to intimidate and dominate all comers.  Now we're everybody's biatch.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #1149
Whats the Ashes team look like?

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Smith
4. Khawaja
5. Handscomb
6. Maxwell / Turner
7. Wade (wk)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Reserves - O'Keefe, Pattinson, Bird, Maxwell / Turner, Stoinis.

Reply #1151

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Smith
4. Khawaja
5. Handscomb
6. Maxwell / Turner
7. Wade (wk)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Cartwright would also be in the mix at No.6 after a strong finish to the season, but Maxy will probably get first shot at it and deservedly so.

I'm no fan of Wade - he is an average keeper [at best] and an average batsman as well. We need a better batsman than him with a longish tail. Nevill is the best keeper batsman on form, or give Alex Carey a run. But I highly doubt that will happen - it looks like Boff and Smith love the bogan in him, despite the fact that he doesn't appear to add anything tactically to the team except for sledging the opposition. His batting in the 2nd innings of the last test was the final straw for me - dumbest cricket I've seen in a long long time...........

Reply #1152

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Smith
4. Khawaja
5. Handscomb
6. Maxwell / Turner
7. Wade (wk)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

I'd only make one change to that line up...Stoinis in at number 6...his mediums are more useful than Maxwells bowling.....which wasn't considered at all useful by Smith obviously.  But, yes, at this stage Maxwell has earned his place.  And I'd really like Patto in there for the first Test somehow....it's fitting him in that's the problem. I think he'll be better than Cummins. (or Starc for that matter)

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1153
I'd only make one change to that line up...Stoinis in at number 6...his mediums are more useful than Maxwells bowling.....which wasn't considered at all useful by Smith obviously.  But, yes, at this stage Maxwell has earned his place.  And I'd really like Patto in there for the first Test somehow....it's fitting him in that's the problem. I think he'll be better than Cummins. (or Starc for that matter)
But the question remains - why pick an 'all rounder and compromise the batting strength if the captain refuses to bowl them?? Smith clearly doesn't like to bowl the all rounders, so therefore you are better playing the best batsman at 6. The question is whether that is Head, Henriques, Cartwright, Turner, Maxy, Lynn, Stoinis or someone else.

So the selectors and Smith need to be aligned on the strategy first, which clearly they haven't been for a number of tests now. The fact that this escapes any media scrutiny is baffling to me.

We need to shore up the batting more than the bowling - this has been the root cause of our problems, not our ability to take 20 wickets.

Reply #1154
But the question remains - why pick an 'all rounder and compromise the batting strength if the captain refuses to bowl them?? Smith clearly doesn't like to bowl the all rounders, so therefore you are better playing the best batsman at 6. The question is whether that is Head, Henriques, Cartwright, Turner, Maxy, Lynn, Stoinis or someone else.

So the selectors and Smith need to be aligned on the strategy first, which clearly they haven't been for a number of tests now. The fact that this escapes any media scrutiny is baffling to me.

We need to shore up the batting more than the bowling - this has been the root cause of our problems, not our ability to take 20 wickets.

At the start of this Indian tour we had 4 capable batsmen in the top 6.
Warner and M Marsh didn't look like spending any meaningful time in the middle.
Maxwell showed plenty of ability and patience but MUST build on this tour.