Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 571371 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1155
Warner just wants to play the shorter forms of the game and spend more time at home IMO....looks very stale with test cricket, will do better on the harder quicker tracks in Aus but he looks like his hunger for the game is down IMO....lost his cheeky lip too which sort of tells me he cant be bothered too much...
Rather sit at home with his kids and watch his OLED TV and count his money....

Reply #1156
Warner just wants to play the shorter forms of the game and spend more time at home IMO....looks very stale with test cricket, will do better on the harder quicker tracks in Aus but he looks like his hunger for the game is down IMO....lost his cheeky lip too which sort of tells me he cant be bothered too much...
Rather sit at home with his kids and watch his OLED TV and count his money....

He may retire from tests after the Ashes, unless he wants to go to England one more time for unfinished business......but, I think you're right, his days are numbered.  Question is, does Khawaja get the gig as the next opener (given he's been treated pretty poorly by the selectors so far)?  .....or is it someone else?  Burns, looks too much of a hard wicket player, Marcus Harris has gone OK, Ed Cowan has the best record.....again, but I fear will not get another shot.....although the same thinking doesn't seen to affect Shaun Marsh's chances.

Anyway, Warner will need to snap out of his slump quick smart, or he might not get to make the decision himself.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1157
Whats the Ashes team look like?

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Smith
4. Khawaja
5. Handscomb
6. Maxwell / Turner
7. Wade (wk)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

Reserves - O'Keefe, Pattinson, Bird, Maxwell / Turner, Stoinis.

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Smith
4. Khawaja
5. Handscomb
6. Maxwell
7. Wade (wk)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon/Pattinson
11. Hazlewood

Barring whether you want Lyon or a 4th quick in the line up then side picks itself.

Reply #1158
Kohli........ensuring he'll get a nice warm welcome form the Aus crowds next time he's here.

Honestly, what a prat.

The old "Hadlee's a wanker" chant might come out, obviously substituting "Hadlee" for "Kohli". He'd be one bloke that would really hate that.

Reply #1159
At the start of this Indian tour we had 4 capable batsmen in the top 6.
Warner and M Marsh didn't look like spending any meaningful time in the middle.
Maxwell showed plenty of ability and patience but MUST build on this tour.

Warner got starts in quick time then went out. India's certainly not his favourite spot. He gets too many starts overseas without going on. He has score of 50+ 19 times overseas compared to 23 at home. The issue being he doesn't convert them overseas (4 centuries overseas compared to 14 at home) as a case in point. In India it was worse, get to 15-20 in double quick time then get out.

Yes, Maxwell deserves first go and must build on what he's produced in India. He's fires and we have a pretty powerful team come the Ashes.

Reply #1160

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Smith
4. Khawaja
5. Handscomb
6. Maxwell
7. Wade (wk)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon/Pattinson
11. Hazlewood

Barring whether you want Lyon or a 4th quick in the line up then side picks itself.

That's a good squad, I'd go to watch that bowling line up regardless of who gets the 12th man role(Hopefully not Maxwell).

I think the batting order is wrong, I think Pattinson should probably bat above Starc.

Maybe there is one too many LHB in that side, it needs a bit more RHB/LHB balance to keep the opposition bowlers unsettled on a line. Perhaps that can be resolved with an order shuffle, I'd consider promoting Handscomb up the order at home, leaving Khawaja and Maxwell as a pretty dynamic middle order. Maxwell is hard to bowl to left or right hand!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1161
That's a good squad, I'd go to watch that bowling line up regardless of who gets the 12th man role(Hopefully not Maxwell).

I think the batting order is wrong, I think Pattinson should probably bat above Starc.

Maybe there is one too many LHB in that side, it needs a bit more RHB/LHB balance to keep the opposition bowlers unsettled on a line. Perhaps that can be resolved with an order shuffle, I'd consider promoting Handscomb up the order at home, leaving Khawaja and Maxwell as a pretty dynamic middle order. Maxwell is hard to bowl to left or right hand!

You could go either way with the batting line-up. Starc, Pattinson and Cummins can all bat. Only reason I had Pattinson down there is I had Lyon/Pattinson, which is Lyons position. Probably wouldn't touch the top order as that's each batsman's best position. Either way, it's a strong line-up.

Reply #1162
He may retire from tests after the Ashes, unless he wants to go to England one more time for unfinished business......but, I think you're right, his days are numbered.  Question is, does Khawaja get the gig as the next opener (given he's been treated pretty poorly by the selectors so far)?  .....or is it someone else?  Burns, looks too much of a hard wicket player, Marcus Harris has gone OK, Ed Cowan has the best record.....again, but I fear will not get another shot.....although the same thinking doesn't seen to affect Shaun Marsh's chances.

Anyway, Warner will need to snap out of his slump quick smart, or he might not get to make the decision himself.

I think Khawaja has to be next in line, better technique than most and the only downside to him is that he isnt so great in the field...not sure why he gets left out of so many tests
given he went so well in our summer. Burns isnt the type of player I would fancy vs the Poms especially on their wickets, just to loose outside off for me...
Cowan has probably been tried and wont get another go....goes ok in the commentary box and thats where his future lies IMO...
Justin Langer will be the next coach and I expect Whiteman to be the next keeper....

Reply #1163
What will be interesting is that, by the time the Ashes comes around, Warner's current bat is illegal.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1164
I think Khawaja has to be next in line, better technique than most and the only downside to him is that he isnt so great in the field...not sure why he gets left out of so many tests
given he went so well in our summer. Burns isnt the type of player I would fancy vs the Poms especially on their wickets, just to loose outside off for me...
Cowan has probably been tried and wont get another go....goes ok in the commentary box and thats where his future lies IMO...
Justin Langer will be the next coach and I expect Whiteman to be the next keeper....

Khawaja will be straight in back in Australia. Batting line-up with pick itself.

Reply #1165
What will be interesting is that, by the time the Ashes comes around, Warner's current bat is illegal.

No big deal. Just use bats that are legal.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #1166
No big deal. Just use bats that are legal.

I suppose so.

But I know at the highest levels of many sports the top professionals swap and change bats, rackets, clubs, etc., etc.. as way of getting their timing and power right. If they think on the day their swing/stroke is a bit late or early they'll swap to get something with a slightly different weight or balance to compensate. Tennis is probably the most obvious case, I recall golf was like that although I am not sure if variable weights are still legal in golf clubs but they used to be tuned up after the practice rounds. Other sports like hockey, baseball, even billiards and snooker the top level players have equipment with weights, tensions or tolerances either side of the ideal that they swap between on the day.

I wouldn't be surprised to find cricketers doing much the same.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1167
The lad from Tassie - Doolan ? - played an outstanding knock in South Africa in a test match a few years ago, I thought that he looked an outstanding Test bat in both technique and temperament.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1168
The lad from Tassie - Doolan ? - played an outstanding knock in South Africa in a test match a few years ago, I thought that he looked an outstanding Test bat in both technique and temperament.

Was shafted, lost his confidence, struggled to get runs since.  Started to get back into form before Christmas, got a double hundred but got hit on the head & had to miss the next game.......which was the last Shield game for about 2 months while the Big Bash Circus took over.

Then his form was gone again when the long cricket finally started up.  Has had Tim Paines luck rub off on him I think.....

Mind, he did score a hundred in the TCA (Club) final for South Hobart-Sandy Bay in Hobart last week against my old side (North Hobart) .....darn it !  South had a batting line up consisting of...Ben Dunk, Alex Doolan, George Bailey...tough to bowl at in A Grade.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1169
Go the Bushrangers.

Pattinson must be close to MoM.
The Force Awakens!