Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Richie Benaud (Read 8389 times) previous topic - next topic

RIP Richie Benaud

Nothing much else to say.  Richie the icon, RIP.

Re: RIP Richie Benuad

Reply #1
Damn. RIP. Got past 82 though.

Reply #2
He was an icon, and he was a gentleman, and definitely RIP from me. 

Reply #3
RIP Richie..

two for two twenty- too :)

Reply #4
Stumps Richie, RIP.

The voice of cricket for my generation. The last of the true gentlemen in the commentary box. Even though it's been a while since he was a regular, I will still miss him.

Reply #5
Sad loss, a global icon of the game, RIP.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #6
Stumps Richie, RIP.

The voice of cricket for my generation. The last of the true gentlemen in the commentary box. Even though it's been a while since he was a regular, I will still miss him.

This. RIP Richie.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #7
Definitely my favourite cricket commentator who has been the voice of the game for me for my whole adult life. A huge loss of knowledge and commentary skills. RIP Rich.  :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Re: RIP Richie Benaud

Reply #8
Yes, Richie Benaud was A Grade gold.

Listening to Benaud commentate cricket was like listening to Attenborough describe mother nature.

Not talking was the greatest lesson some of the current spuds could learn from Richie!

PS: Note the spelling in the title!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Condolences to the Benaud, and cricketing families.

Voice of at least one generation, charismatic man who rewrote cricketing media and reporting.

Will be sorely missed. RIP.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
All hail the great man.    #RIPRICHIE #2for22

Reply #11
Sad day for Australia and cricket in general.

I wonder though, if Richie would have had this level of mourning without the 12th man?

Reply #12
Sad day for Australia and cricket in general.

I wonder though, if Richie would have had this level of mourning without the 12th man?

Interesting question.

Still would have been substantial but probably more reverent. Like when McGilvray died.

The 12th made Ritchie accessible to more people by giving him a funny side, even though it wasn't him, particularly when he (eventually) embraced the caricature and peoples affection for it.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #13
Australian Cricket Captain and One of our greatest al-lrounders.

World Renowned and Respected Broadcaster.

RIP RIchie
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #14
Richie Benaud was a cricket legend when I was at primary school although I have much stronger memories of Bill Lawry (a Victorian and I was a bit older when he was skipper) and John Benaud (who dared to wear Adidas cricket boots with coloured stripes).

Richie was a bit of a lad, playing with his shirt unbuttoned, but that was the influence of Keith Miller.  In fact, I recall Richie saying that the exposure to the sun that caused his skin cancer was because Keith Miller didn't wear a hat and everyone wanted to be like Miller.

Of course, for most of my life, Richie has been a cricket commentator.  At times he was a tad annoying but he was always knowledgeable and forthright.  He was self-deprecating too and rarely spoke about his own career.

Probably the thing that epitomises Richie's life is the recent Australia Day ad.  Clearly his health was failing but it was a good cause and he had a bit of fun.  It featured his propensity for understatement and his dry sense of humour and is a fitting tribute to a great cricketer, entertainer and Australian.

RIP

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball