Skip to main content
Topic: The Next Incarnation Of Our "Engine Room" (Read 15002 times) previous topic - next topic

The Next Incarnation Of Our "Engine Room"

A few years back, the scribes were suggesting we had one of the best midfields in the competition. However, things have dramatically changed since then especially with Judd retiring & Carrazzo about to retire at season's end plus the recent rollercoaster formline from Murphy & Gibbs.

The thing is, we are not that far away once again from fielding a very strong "Engine Room" and it all may have come about by sheer chance as opposed to some very good planning.

Patty Cripps playing standard is rising by the week (heaven help the competition in another 2-3 years time), Marc Murphy appears to be back playing at the same level he was prior to that horrible broken cheekbone he suffered in a collision with Hodge.

Nick Graham has relished his opportunity in the seniors and is making bone-rattling tackles a feature of his game, Dennis Armfield is another who has really stepped it up across the middle of the ground as well as making regular sorties into the forward line,

Tom Bell is now offering some genuine consistency with way less poor decision-making than he previously was (something I genuinely didn't think was ever going to happen) plus the move of playing him more permanently across half-forward suits him and the team better as well.

All we need now is for Mark Whiley to force his way into the seniors (I have extremely high expectations for this chap) and for Gibbs to play with some genuine vigour (possibly wishful thinking) and we are going to be in a damn strong position.

If the recruiting department can bring in two more silky ball magnets in the upcoming draft & trade period, we would end up having a midfield division that at worst, is the equal of any of the other clubs in the competition. 

Amazing what a few good weeks onfield can do for a supporters viewpoint !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: The Next Incarnation Of Our "Engine Room"

Reply #1
Sheik a few weeks ago I was wondering when we would win a game again. How we were going to rebuild our midfield. How we were going to develop our young kids. Judd gone, Carrazzo could be gone and it was all down hill for a wooden spoon.

Malthouse sacked, Barker lets players off the leash, and teaches them how to tackle. He tells them I don't prefer mistakes, but if you make them, I won't crucify you. As long as you get back in there with the 2nd and 3rd efforts to try win the contest again. Now I wonder how we are going to get an early draft pick. The kids have gone from being wild animals in a spot light, frozen with fear, to fearless warriors wanting to get to the next contest. Isn't it funny what belief and confidence will do to a side. This is not the same playing group any more. This is not the same club. This current side wants to win for their fans.

Why did we sign Mick for so long ? This group could have made the top 8 if things were different this season. I honestly believe that, but it could just be me.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #2
Don't know why he was sign in the first place we were going places so it be a different story right now that I do believe

Reply #3
Without talking him up, Thomas could be very important for us if his fortune with injury changes.

Do not underestimate the effectiveness of Kreuzer in the middle.  His second efforts in tandem with Cripps at the coalface make us genuinely hard to beat at the coalface.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
Without talking him up, Thomas could be very important for us if his fortune with injury changes.

Do not underestimate the effectiveness of Kreuzer in the middle.  His second efforts in tandem with Cripps at the coalface make us genuinely hard to beat at the coalface.

Thomas needs to be doing the finishing IMO....I dont expect 30 possies a game anymore from him but 10-15 with 2-3 goals is what I want for my money...
Kruezer's ruckwork is nothing special and I thought Lobbe beat him and Wood easily but MK can get the footy at ground level and get his big body in the
action and as you suggest can he can help Cripps, Graham etc get us first use...

Reply #5
Thomas is that outside finisher we so desparately need.

Kreuzer is our answer to Blicavs and the modern follower style ruckmen... pity is that they get shown up when they play a real ruckman.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #6
Thomas is that outside finisher we so desparately need.

Kreuzer is our answer to Blicavs and the modern follower style ruckmen... pity is that they get shown up when they play a real ruckman.

Yes, I like Blicavs but apparently Gawn had a field day against him. I haven't seen the game as yet though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
Thomas needs to be doing the finishing IMO....I dont expect 30 possies a game anymore from him but 10-15 with 2-3 goals is what I want for my money...
Kruezer's ruckwork is nothing special and I thought Lobbe beat him and Wood easily but MK can get the footy at ground level and get his big body in the
action and as you suggest can he can help Cripps, Graham etc get us first use...

Why would you ever expect 30 possies a game from him? He has only achieved that 8 times in his entire career.
And where are the 2-3 goals going to come from? The rest of the team gonna spoon-feed him the ball <30m from goal?
We were never going to get value for $$ out of the guy, best we can hope is that his performances warrant his selection in the side consistently.

Reply #8
We were never going to get value for $$ out of the guy, best we can hope is that his performances warrant his selection in the side consistently.

Depressing thought.

Reply #9
Why would you ever expect 30 possies a game from him? He has only achieved that 8 times in his entire career.
And where are the 2-3 goals going to come from? The rest of the team gonna spoon-feed him the ball <30m from goal?

The 30 possies was a throw away line ::)....what I meant was I dont expect big numbers due to his aging body but I do expect him
to provide some silk down forward and convert his chances. He is a class player when fit and yes he cant kick over 30-40m but we can hope he will improve with
a rest and preseason to the point where he can give us some value...am I confident..No but I am trying to find some positive in him even though the odds suggest
we will get nowhere 700k per year value out of him now or ever.

Reply #10
Thomas needs to be doing the finishing IMO....I dont expect 30 possies a game anymore from him but 10-15 with 2-3 goals is what I want for my money..

I agree, I think despite his injury issues he should still be able to make good decisions and hit targets in the 30-40m range.

The new McLean!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
Thomas can't kick 30m, how will he be able to finish? TBH I see him as an honest back pocket if/when he comes back.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12
With MM gone I'd be surprised if he plays another game at AFL level. Will be handy in the NB forward line though

Reply #13
From what I've heard, Thomas is well respected by the playing group and his approach to training and games is a great example.  However, his all Australian days are well behind him.

If he can stay fit, I expect that he will play as a half forward with an occasional burst in the midfield rotations.  His pace and kicking may have dropped off but he still knows how to get the footy and he uses it pretty well.  Just don't expect too many goals from beyond 30 metres.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
We need another very good young mids this draft/trade period as a minimum.

One I rate and did in his draft year is former Murray Bushranger Nick Holman. Great size, good clean hands and now needs some time in the ones.

The absolute jets/classy ball users and movers we need now - Darcy Parish is one and Luke Partington is another for starters out of this year's draft class.

We need talls too, especially of the key forward kind and Schache, McKay and Weideman lead the way here.

I think we can add the 'new wave' of mids/runners to Cripps, Bell and Graham with the likes of Holman and Boekhorst in the mix along with possibly Whiley too. Can those guys become the next batch of AFL footballers will be the key. I'd like a large group of them to come through together.

Still maintain we need more class and skill in the midfield in the 'next wave'. The excitement machines to add to the grunt and experience (Murphy, Gibbs, Carrazzo) would be the next step for me.