Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 21: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 29629 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 21: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Brisbane

We have not fared well against Brisbane in recent times. I did not expect it to continue, but when we can't kick goals....
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 21: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #1
Ok, time to rest injured players (Cripps especially). There's nothing to be gained from risking marquee players. Play the kids and trade bait and work towards next season.

Reply #2
Ok, time to rest injured players (Cripps especially). There's nothing to be gained from risking marquee players. Play the kids and trade bait and work towards next season.
Not a lot of choice. Losing this one is like losing to Essendon: beyond the pale.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Not a lot of choice. Losing this one is like losing to Essendon: beyond the pale.
No that will come round 23, put your house on an Scum win.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Sub average.

Forward system is a worry - better by Buckley and Casboult.

Jones meh why even bother, Thomas just release him and Rowe out of form in a big way providing no protection and leadership showing his C Grade ranking .

Reply #5
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Reply #6
BRISBANE LIONS      7.2     12.3     14.7      15.9       (99)                 
CARLTON                    3.2      5.5      9.12      13.17     (95)         

GOALS
Brisbane Lions: Close 4, Zorko 3, Rockliff 2, Rich, Hanley, Smith, Lester, Walker, Cutler
Carlton: Casboult 4, Silvagni 3, Wright 2, Phillips, Boekhorst, Buckley, Armfield

BEST
Brisbane Lions: Zorko, Rockliff, Robinson, Gardiner, Close, Cutler
Carlton: Curnow, Casboult, Tuohy, Simpson, Buckley, Cripps
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
We were embarrassed by the Saints (again) last week and needed to respond this week and this is what we put up? FFS we just lost to Brisbane!  They are being called the worst team of recent times, their coach is about to get the sack, they've been losing games by triple-digit margins and we fall short by much more than the margin indicates.

We had 22 more inside-50s. The level of incompetence it takes to waste that sort of I50 advantage is significant. 

Any credits we earned earlier in the season (and indeed in recent close losses to top teams) has been wiped out by the last two weeks. Will get worse when we lose to the bombers in Rd23... I sure as hell won't be tipping us again. 
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #8
Kicked our 3rd highest score for the year. just a pity the other mob, a crap mob at that, kicked more.

Reply #9
Kinda proved the importance of the midfield on match day. We were smashed to pieces by Rockliff, Zorko and Robbo in the first half. Their ball winning ability, run to space and them delivery to the fwd line was A grade today. Put pressure on our mids also, they schooled ours in the first half where the game was set up.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10

We had 22 more inside-50s. The level of incompetence it takes to waste that sort of I50 advantage is significant. 

Sometimes the I50 count is deceptive, because it gives an impression of scoring opportunity being greater than that of the opposition. Often times however, the I50 entries are actually quite shallow, and don't really result in meaningful scoring opportunities. One example where stats can be deceptive.

However, on this occasion, I would agree with you. Most of our I50 entries were quite reasonable, and we should've won by 4 goals min. Anyway............................

Reply #11
Very ordinary performance from a team that is obviously tired and replete with ordinary players, who, if the club do what I heard they will do, will be cleaned out at years end.

The nucleus of a reasonable team is there. Weitering, Charlie Curnow, Silvagni and mackay who is going to be very good but is a good 12 months away in his development.. Phillips is good in the ruck, Ploughman will improve with a full pre-season under his belt, Sam Doc has come of age as a reliable defender and Cripps is/will be a champion. Buckley needs to improve his motor so that he can run out a full game, Cieren Byrne will be good if he can come back from the reco, and I hope Sheahan can come back. And that's about it.

Gibbs will play the occasional good game for his half million, Thomas is stuffed, Murphy is too injury prone, Touhey will play one good one and one bad one, and lacks a football brain. Ed Curnow tries hard, but his skills are terrible and he aint gunna get better. I don't reckon that there is a worse handballer in the team. Can't hit a target and more often than not the ball falls into the hands of the opposition and gives away stupid frees. Kreuzer tries hard, but I wish he'd gone to the Pies and we'd got some decent draft picks for him. He is very limited. Almost forgot. I'd get rid of Levi. Too one dimensional and unreliable.

White is a plodder, Rowe is an absolute spud totally lacking a second effort, in fact he lacks, for the most part, a first effort. Armfield, is coming to the end, and only plays in flashes. Bokehorst hasn't got it. Simple as that. Jones is useless, the jury is out on Cunningham, and Kerridge, lacks foot skills and doesn't give us enough. Wright is not up to it, he's certainly no BEtts!! Everett is gone and hopefully will go, Nick Graham, is a very good reserves player, not up to the big time, and I don't reckon Jaksch will make it. There are lots in the two's who who won't make it, and I can see at least 10 going at years end.

Simmo, I left for last, because he's just a champion player for this club, and I hope he can come up again next year and give us a good year.

The club, as I have been told, are in year one of a three year plan, or as one high up told me, 21 games into a 66 game rebuild.

We just need to be patient and realistic, and not look at them through navy blue and white blinkers.

Believe  me, the coach knows exactly who he is dealing with and exactly who he has got.

As one member of the panel told me, " at this point in  time,we MIGHT have 4 players who could get a game with the three top teams, and that's it." He didn't want to name them.

So lets hope they finish 15th, get some decent draft picks and SOS can trade well, and let's all look forward to a better future.

Reply #12

As one member of the panel told me, " at this point in  time,we MIGHT have 4 players who could get a game with the three top teams, and that's it." He didn't want to name them.

So lets hope they finish 15th, get some decent draft picks and SOS can trade well, and let's all look forward to a better future.

I'll play, but I'd say 5 or 6 - Cripps, Weeters, Doc, Simmo, Murph  and maybe Gibbs

Reply #13
Sometimes the I50 count is deceptive, because it gives an impression of scoring opportunity being greater than that of the opposition. Often times however, the I50 entries are actually quite shallow, and don't really result in meaningful scoring opportunities. One example where stats can be deceptive.

However, on this occasion, I would agree with you. Most of our I50 entries were quite reasonable, and we should've won by 4 goals min. Anyway............................

Or they're bombs the forwards covered by a mass of defenders. hence cleared out immediately.

Reply #14
Or they're bombs the forwards covered by a mass of defenders. hence cleared out immediately.

Aye, true enough jimbo.