Skip to main content
Topic: Membership boost from women's team? (Read 3929 times) previous topic - next topic

Membership boost from women's team?

Greg Denham said on SEN that Trigg told him last year that females made up only around 27% of our membership.  That was well below the AFL average and Trigg and the club were well aware of this deficit and were working to address it.  Apparently, it's now up to 35%.  I wonder whether this issue was one reason (no doubt one of many) behind our bid for a women's team.  Will the new team drive up female membership?

Trigg will be on KB's show later and presumably this issue will be raised.

Re: Membership boost from women's team?

Reply #1
Regardless of whether the club got a womens team for extra membership or not, it is a very smart move as it improves the brand and 'goodwill' if nothing else.

Being able to get a leg up over teams like Richmond and Essendon in this area (at least initially) would've been an important factor.

Having said all that, i do think this will have a positive effect on our membership.

Reply #2
I certainly don't mean to suggest there's anything improper or cynical about the bid for the women's team any more than a political party or company responding to the needs of potential voters or consumers.  If the women's team changes perceptions of the club amongst women, then that's all good.

Reply #3
Not just the membership, it ticks many boxes.

If nothing else, we now have a serious case to develop PP into an AFL standard stadium, and historically speaking there are two ways to speed through these sorts of developments, and get additional funding from non conventional funding sources.

1.  Improve access for wheelchairs and people with disabilities (not required as yet because its not an AFL venue again yet).

2.  Make it a project that will provide inclusive programs for equality.

Where councils would previously get much resistance and push back from developing this stadium, all of a sudden it becomes much more sympathetic by not just the council but the council members who would previously have pushed against these projects because its for the benefit of AFL womens who absolutely will need a boutique purpose built stadium to play in.

AFL womens will justify a long term plan to redevelop PP for the long term benefit of the entire Carlton Football Club, and not just the women, but the men too will be able to make use of this stadium in future.

This is a multi faceted great idea including providing better programs for women in sport and I am extremely pleased that we got into this aspect of the competition.  They will grow really quickly and its arguable that the women's team will be better for the financial security of our club in the long term as they will have a direct impact on how well we are able to do with our men's team also.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
isn't it two separate memberships ?  

People who want to follow the womens teams will buy a womens membership and vice versa

I'm surprised the club hasn't contacted me about a womens membership.....  not that I'm interested.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #5
isn't it two separate memberships ?  

People who want to follow the womens teams will buy a womens membership and vice versa

I'm surprised the club hasn't contacted me about a womens membership.....  not that I'm interested.

I think there was an 'add-on' of $20 that went to the womens team.

Reply #6
hmmm..  I don't remember being slugged any extra.  hope not
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #7
It was optional, and I think that quite a few will add it on in the process as $20 is the equivalent of what one reserved seat??
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #8
Whatever the motivation, I think it's a great idea, and I'm glad that just like the original 8 teams that broke away from the VFA in 1897, we are now also one of the foundation clubs for the women's league. Bravo CFC.

And $20 extra is peanuts. You can be barely get a bite to eat and a drink in the CBD for that amount these days. 

Reply #9
Whatever the motivation, I think it's a great idea, and I'm glad that just like the original 8 teams that broke away from the VFA in 1897, we are now also one of the foundation clubs for the women's league. Bravo CFC.

And $20 extra is peanuts. You can be barely get a bite to eat and a drink in the CBD for that amount these days.

There are only 3 foundation teams in both the VFL/AFL and AFLW.

Carlton, Collingwood, and Melbourne.

Reply #10
There are only 3 foundation teams in both the VFL/AFL and AFLW.

Carlton, Collingwood, and Melbourne.

Yes, and I'm chuffed that we are a part of that.

Reply #11

X2

In relation to membership options, mine rolls over automatically. In November I think. Don't recall having options offered/encouraged. Maybe I needed to intervene. I have since bought membership via "game changers" ad. Very cool scarf.

Either way, I'm thrilled about being part of this progressive moment in footy history.
Boys, girls, anyone. Anyone Bound By Blue belongs as far as I'm concerned.

Go Blue Boys & Girls
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.