Skip to main content
Topic: JLT game 3 (Read 59881 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT game 3

Reply #315
I read alot about Weitering and where he is best suited but I think the real issue is where do we play Charlie Curnow. From the games I have seen, he is a natural new age midfielder that is big bodied and very Bont like. Is smart in close and handy on the outside. From what I hear, he has a great tank so I expect more midfield time this year. He'll lose form up forward as there will be limited entries into the 50. What are your thoughts?

Reply #316
I read alot about Weitering and where he is best suited but I think the real issue is where do we play Charlie Curnow. From the games I have seen, he is a natural new age midfielder that is big bodied and very Bont like. Is smart in close and handy on the outside. From what I hear, he has a great tank so I expect more midfield time this year. He'll lose form up forward as there will be limited entries into the 50. What are your thoughts?

I dubbed him Curnowfides very early on and part of the reason for that is he is very much in the same mould. Big kid who can run, jump and mark. Broad shoulders. Has a knack of doing things a little bit different to normal.

For the same reasons, he will play like Kouta did early on, everywhere. On a wing early on, with the ability to move to where the team is lacking.
Curnowfides will kick goals. He will take marks. He will run, carry, chase and tackle.

Where should he play? High half forward / wing while resting closer to goals.

Reply #317
I dubbed him Curnowfides very early on and part of the reason for that is he is very much in the same mould. Big kid who can run, jump and mark. Broad shoulders. Has a knack of doing things a little bit different to normal.

For the same reasons, he will play like Kouta did early on, everywhere. On a wing early on, with the ability to move to where the team is lacking.
Curnowfides will kick goals. He will take marks. He will run, carry, chase and tackle.

Where should he play? High half forward / wing while resting closer to goals.

He certainly had elite aerobic capacity prior to his problems, if he's 100% over the effects of his illness he should be our version of Fraser Gehrig in much the same way Gehrig ran a wing early on in his Wet Toast days.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #318
@blueray

Great question.
If Charlie is fully healthy, I think he'll mainly play fwd with some time on the wing, and graduated exposure in the middle. As our fwd options increase (big H, Kerr and the like), he may well become crippa's partner in crime, resting fwd as a very dangerous option.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #319

I imagine folk may be a little over my references to the chat I had with Ed Curnow at this time last year but I think that it's worth repeating Ed's assessment of his little brother.  Ed said that Charlie is an elite mark and that is how he will make his name as an AFL footballer.  We have seen a little of that already; Charlie reads the flight of the ball well, makes good position, has long arms and very sticky fingers.

I think that he is destined to play as a marking forward, but perhaps not as a KPF.  He will also be called on to provide a marking option around the ground and, as he learns more about the game at AFL level, to rack up intercept marks.

He was part of the midfield rotation last season and in the JLT games and I think that he has shown enough to suggest that he will be a regular midfielder, but for limited times.  I expect to see him spending more time in a role similar to that of Gunston.

For the record, I think that comparing Charlie with Anthony Koutoufides is a fatuous exercise and more than a little reminiscent of the inane comparisons of Tommy Bell with the great man.  Of course, that's just my opinion ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #320
And from somewhere i read, still growing?

194cm odd now...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #321
And from somewhere i read, still growing?

194cm odd now...
Based on the CFC website profiles (which admittedly aren't always 100%) Charlie Curnow is now 194cm.

Cripps in 195cm! (same height as KP players Weitering and Jaksch).

Both are taller than Plowman and Marchbank who we're marking down as key talls down back.