Skip to main content
Topic: NBs 2017 (Read 14017 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NBs 2017

Reply #32
Thanks lovey... I would have Sheehan in the side. We lack strength.

Oh... Did I miss something here???
 :-*
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #33
Oh... Did I miss something here???
 :-*

I think that's rather nice ... and a refreshing change from the language used by some posters  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
I think that's rather nice ... and a refreshing change from the language used by some posters  :)

I missed it initially ::)
Yes it is nice. I got that warm fuzzy feeling....
Im sure it wasn't a typo or auto correct ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #35
I missed it initially ::)
Yes it is nice. I got that warm fuzzy feeling....
Im sure it wasn't a typo or auto correct ;)

:))
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
I get that - my question is why do you rate Barker ?

He put the club and it's requirements first, and he is a straight shooter.

Listening to him talk post match during his short and somewhat hobbled stint as coach he exhibited good modern football knowledge and terrific media management skills. It wasn't his fault he had a list built to succeed in the 90s.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37

Listening to him talk post match during his short and somewhat hobbled stint as coach he exhibited good football knowledge and terrific media management skills.

I agree with that.

While paying out coaches is an expensive exercise, the club would have found the money if Bolton wanted Barker gone.  That suggests to me that Bolton was impressed with what Barker (and Capuano) have to offer.

Reply #38
I agree with that.

While paying out coaches is an expensive exercise, the club would have found the money if Bolton wanted Barker gone.  That suggests to me that Bolton was impressed with what Barker (and Capuano) have to offer.

Capuano is still a bit of a mystery to me. I haven't seen much from our ruck setups that fill me with joy, although I concede we tend to equal or win clearances in most games so he must be doing something right.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39

Listening to him talk post match during his short and somewhat hobbled stint as coach he exhibited good modern football knowledge and terrific media management skills. It wasn't his fault he had a list built to succeed in the 90s.

Mmm.........I must've missed something along the way.

He took over when the team was 1-7 or 1-8 - whilst I acknowledge that even Clarko could not have improved the situation much, I did not see much to inspire me, apart from moments like the Port game.

His media work was ok I guess, but overall I found him rather nebbish.

He missed out on getting the senior gig with us, and missed out with another team as well I think.

I'm not sure he would be missed all that much to be honest. But that's an outsider's opinion.

Reply #40
Capuano is still a bit of a mystery to me. I haven't seen much from our ruck setups that fill me with joy, although I concede we tend to equal or win clearances in most games so he must be doing something right.

Capuano is purely a development coach these days, does a bit of work with our international recruiting also. As far as I'm aware, he has nothing to do with our ruck setups and hasn't done for a while now. I think we'll learn more about him and his abilities over the next couple of seasons with all the kids coming through.

Reply #41
Mmm.........I must've missed something along the way.

He took over when the team was 1-7 or 1-8 - whilst I acknowledge that even Clarko could not have improved the situation much, I did not see much to inspire me, apart from moments like the Port game.

His media work was ok I guess, but overall I found him rather nebbish.

He missed out on getting the senior gig with us, and missed out with another team as well I think.

I'm not sure he would be missed all that much to be honest. But that's an outsider's opinion.

You shouldn't judge Barker's value as an assistant coach based on how clubs evaluated him as a potential senior coach, they are two very different skill sets. And looking at results during his tenure makes no sense, we were not in the business of trying to win despite the public front.

While Barker was caretaker he displayed plenty that makes him a first class 2nd in command, someone who can advise and guide the players through all sorts of scenarios. My concern is Bolton was a first class 2nd in command as well, will he be a first class senior coach?

However, Bolton has coached a club in his own-right before coming to AFL.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
You shouldn't judge his value as an assistant coach based on how clubs evaluated him as a senior coach, they are two very different skill sets. While Barker was caretaker he displayed plenty that makes him a first class 2nd in command, my concern is Bolton was a first class 2nd in command as well.

However, Bolton has coached a club in his own-right before coming to AFL.

Yes, I guess that's fair enough.

Reply #43
Next practice match, anyone?