Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Game 2 (Read 42782 times) previous topic - next topic

JLT Game 2

Squad Announced:

Carlton's 29-man squad:

7. Dylan Buckley, 9. Patrick Cripps, 10. Harry McKay, 11. Sam Kerridge, 12. Blaine Boekhorst, 13. Jed Lamb, 14. Liam Jones, 16. Billie Smedts, 17. Sam Rowe, 18. Kristian Jaksch, 19. Liam Sumner, 20. Lachie Plowman, 22. Caleb Marchbank, 23. Jacob Weitering, 24. Rhys Palmer, 25. Zac Fisher, 26. Harrison Macreadie, 27. Dennis Armfield, 28. David Cuningham, 29. Cameron Polson, 30. Charlie Curnow, 31. Tom Williamson, 32. Nick Graham, 33. Jarrod Pickett, 35. Ed Curnow, 39. Dale Thomas, 42. Kym LeBois. 43. Simon White, 48. Matthew Korcheck

Re: JLT Game 2

Reply #1
Great to see Cripps back, but damn it's going to be like lambs to the slaughter. Missing from the squad:

Bryce Gibbs
Sam Docherty
Marc Murphy
Kade Simpson
Levi Casboult (wasn't sure whether to list this as a bad thing or not)   :-\

Also Jack Silvagni and Daniel Gorringe out.

Reply #2
Rumor is Cripps will go on the trip but not play, he is taking the opportunity to visit friends and family.

Would you play him a quarter though, is it really worth the risk?

Obviously without Kreuzer we will have Korcheck and Jones ruck. Sandilands is rumored to be back this week, ouch!

Keen to see how Williamson, Polson and Macreadie go.

Heat must be on Sumner, Cuningham, Armfield, Jaksch, Graham, Lamb and Boekhorst.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Rumor is Cripps will go on the trip but not play, he is taking the opportunity to visit friends and family.

Obviously without Kreuzer we will have Korcheck and Jones ruck. Sandilands is rumored to be back this week, ouch!

Hmm.  I think as an entity, we have to leave this decision somewhat up to the player.  Cripps is the sort of player where if he declares himself fit, you find a spot in the team for him.  Even if you play him at full forward, and run him on the ball once a quarter.

If he puts his hand up, then that means he feels good about playing, unless you know that he can't do what you want him to, he gets a guernsey.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
I hope they don't ruck McKay, Sandilands has a marking contest habit of burying those massive knees of his in the small of an opponents back.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Aren't we playing at home against the saints?

Reply #6
I hope they don't ruck McKay, Sandilands has a marking contest habit of burying those massive knees of his in the small of an opponents back.

We are playing StK at Ikon Park. I think people are confused with next weeks game over in WA vs Fremantle...........

Reply #7

Keen to see how Williamson, Polson and Macreadie go.

Heat must be on Sumner, Cuningham, Armfield, Jaksch, Graham, Lamb and Boekhorst.

Suspect you've got your weeks mixed up Spotted One. Freo is next week.  ;)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
Squad Announced:

Carlton's 29-man squad:

7. Dylan Buckley, 9. Patrick Cripps, 10. Harry McKay, 11. Sam Kerridge, 12. Blaine Boekhorst, 13. Jed Lamb, 14. Liam Jones, 16. Billie Smedts, 17. Sam Rowe, 18. Kristian Jaksch, 19. Liam Sumner, 20. Lachie Plowman, 22. Caleb Marchbank, 23. Jacob Weitering, 24. Rhys Palmer, 25. Zac Fisher, 26. Harrison Macreadie, 27. Dennis Armfield, 28. David Cuningham, 29. Cameron Polson, 30. Charlie Curnow, 31. Tom Williamson, 32. Nick Graham, 33. Jarrod Pickett, 35. Ed Curnow, 39. Dale Thomas, 42. Kym LeBois. 43. Simon White, 48. Matthew Korcheck

Really, really love seeing the kids/newbies getting a go, plus giving Pickett, Fisher and LeBois more game time. This is really good use of the JLT series (rather doing what we did under Pagan and set out to be February/March champs!).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9
Yes, we're playing the Saints at IP this Saturday.

It might be lambs to the slaughter, but this is exactly what we need.

No more hiding Nick Graham, Dylan Buckley, Blaine Boekhorst, Jed Lamb, Liam Jones, Billie Smedts, Sam Kerridge, Liam Sumner, Kristian Jaksch, Simon White, et al. Let's see if you blokes have even slightly what it takes to be a top consistent AFL-worth footballer that we can rely on and be an AFL Carlton man in our best 22. The heat is on, as the past legend Glenn Frey would say!

Time to be men, and stand up, not behind Judd (in the past), Cripps, Gibbs, Murphy, Simpson, Docherty, etc.

We'll get thumped, BUT, let's see who exactly does stand up.

We'll see some lads exposed on Saturday. And, we might see some become AFL footballers. It just might be the making of some. It's what we need IMHO!

Reply #10
Its a fine line between lambs to the slaughter, and its all got to do with the message, and the instruction.

I feel that perhaps our previous past lambs to the slaughter was all about expectation placed on players and perception of expectation which sets in when coaching relationships are not transparent.

i.e.

A youngster lines up on Scott Pendlebury.  The instructions are, to get involved as much as possible, shadow him, learn how he plays and moves through traffic, and then afterwards review what worked, and what didnt with said player.

Provided that the player is not then targeted as to why Pendlebury cut you up, its all positive.  They need to feel that the environment is one of learning, and not pressurised.  Thats the difference.

This saturday, we are going young.  We might get towelled up, but if the expectation is simply to learn how to play the game at the highest level, and what things people need to tidy up in their games, then all will be positive. 

I feel that under Bolton for the first time in a very long time, we have an environment that doesnt foster self preservation at the expense of the team, and the way to judge that is not to look at the youngsters and their treatment, but the older blokes like Thomas, Simpson and co.  If we treat Thomas like he needs to prove himself, then he will play in self preservation mode.  If we allow him to just play footy and be positive influence, as well as come back at the end of the season and we will review the next contract extension, then we know we will have turned the corner as a football club.

None of this, "Micks boy, Hughes boy, Rogers boy, SOS boy" stuff, but a sustainable process driven review of where everyone is at, where we are at and who can help us moving forward.

This is simply an extension of that protracted process (hopefully).
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
Cripps will be Captain I should imagine for the game, or maybe even Ed Curnow. That could be good for Ed's leadership development.

Reply #12
Suspect you've got your weeks mixed up Spotted One. Freo is next week.  ;)

Sorry boss my bad, I'd heard from WA sources Cripps would be visiting with the team but not playing. I was thinking Freo was this week.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Really, really love seeing the kids/newbies getting a go, plus giving Pickett, Fisher and LeBois more game time. This is really good use of the JLT series (rather doing what we did under Pagan and set out to be February/March champs!).

Exactly!

Giving the young blokes an opportunity to show what they can do and get a taste of AFL level footy is a great use of our practice games.  However, I am a bit concerned about Cripps making the trip to Princes Park (sorry LP, couldn't resist!).

It will be interesting to see how Korcheck's development is progressing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
Exactly!

Giving the young blokes an opportunity to show what they can do and get a taste of AFL level footy is a great use of our practice games. 

Was also hoping to see Jesse Glass-McCasker in action too.........