Skip to main content
Topic: What are your expectations for 2017? (Read 25614 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What are your expectations for 2017?

Reply #106
Yet all you MSM soaked sheep say we'll go backwards after a few JLT blow outs.

Shame the f.... on you.

Pretty sure i said it before the jlt series.  >:D

Shame on me for having an opinion?

Which according to the poll is, believe it or not, is the clear majority view.

Reply #107
Sam Lonergan - cut at the end of the 2012 season.

Thanks for nothing, maggot.

Was he the same peanut who injured Gibbs's shoulder in the 2011 Elimination final?

Reply #108
Was he the same peanut who injured Gibbs's shoulder in the 2011 Elimination final?

No, that was Jake Carlisle. My memory is a little rusty, but I think Gibbs tripped and JC fell on him. Not sure though.

Reply #109
No, that was Jake Carlisle. My memory is a little rusty, but I think Gibbs tripped and JC fell on him. Not sure though.

Just like "they fell" across Weiters shoulder! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
So did the club meet your expectations this year?
Perhaps a poll?

For mine, they met my prediction (14-16th in the predictions thread and 2-5 wins in this thread) and their game play in being in games late exceeded my predictions and to me...

The season has to be a FAIL. Unlike some others I don't think it is Bolton, his coaching the development of his gameplan. I think the list management did not cut heavy enough.

I think we ended up with the type of season we would have had (and say the bombers had last year), if we had gone for a massive cut, but it is done now.

I do believe in the the rebuild and i do think we are on our way, but I think the club failed us a little with list management.

Anyway, did the club perform to your EXPECTATIONS of where the clubs should be this year?
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #111
So did the club meet your expectations this year?
Perhaps a poll?

For mine, they met my prediction (14-16th in the predictions thread and 2-5 wins in this thread) and their game play in being in games late exceeded my predictions and to me...

The season has to be a FAIL. Unlike some others I don't think it is Bolton, his coaching the development of his gameplan. I think the list management did not cut heavy enough.

I think we ended up with the type of season we would have had (and say the bombers had last year), if we had gone for a massive cut, but it is done now.

I do believe in the the rebuild and i do think we are on our way, but I think the club failed us a little with list management.

Anyway, did the club perform to your EXPECTATIONS of where the clubs should be this year?

There is no way this year is a fail. You can only cut so much as there's only so many replacements. No issues with list management. We've taken on some average players but only as steak knives. As far as the draft has gone we have pretty much nailed it the last 2 years.

6 wins, 5 rising star nominations, 7 matches where we led in the last qtr and lost and we gave some top sides misery. The only game that really disappointed me this year was the Brisbane game when. after a couple of good games against good sides, we had a let down and didn't switch on. As for the game plan Bolton has followed previous successful methods in getting the defence strong before initiated a more attacking plan. We've learned to change up the course of a game when we've fallen behind early.

Given the circumstances of where we are at this year has been a narrow pass.

Reply #112
Tim Watson gave us just a pass (5/10) last night on Talking Footy.....I thought his summary was pretty fair.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #113
So

There is no way this is a fail?
So when we decided to keep the list together last year, those that argued against cutting deeper argued you can't afford to continue to bottom out.
So, winning 2 less games and finishing lower on the ladder... there is NO WAY this can be considered a failure?

I disagree.

I think the coaching staff has done as well as I would expect. I don't have an issue there.
I think the club has performed at about the level I PREDICTED, as in I thought we already had the worst list and 14-16th was going to be the result, no matter how hard we traded out our top players.

So with us performing at a level that saw us bottom 3 (and make no mistake, I think we will go to that 10th area on the ladder next year), I think we missed a chance to bring in even more youth and to try and find homes for some of our elder players (who actually had good seasons in my opinion).

So I think with the playing list we performed adequately and developed players nicely, but I think the board cannot get a free pass forever. I think drafting players like Smedts was a perfect example of horrible list management.

I give our coaches a 5-7/10 this year, this list they maintained to me was still the worst (or close to worst) list in the competition.
But I give our football club, overall... about a 3/10.
And if they don't get into that top 10 next year, then there will need to be serious ramifications and it should not start with the coach.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #114
Pumping our own tyres up again are we MIO?

There was a clear policy to play kids at the expense of more established types that undoubtedly costs us games - how many games did we lose when we were ahead in the last quarter?

Compare North who some scribes say - wow they can jump quickly next year as they lost 6 games by less than 3 goals. We beat that easily....

And injuries hurt us too - losing Curnow and Cripps and AcoS/Rowe

If the young blokes - Fisher, Samo, Curnow, Weiters, Cuners, Willo, SoJ,Pickett etc can all become solid performers in 2018 thanks to the game time invested in them this year - well that is a big win for the Club - and the supporters.

McKay showed too he can perform at the highest level - no reason he can't what the Daniher kid has done - and he's a bigger unit.....

Like it or not, I consider Gibbs will go, probably Levi too.

But the new ins - Kelly, Hopper, Saunders, another seasoned mid or two eg Jye Bolton....and a seasoned ruckman....

I believe we'll crack the 8 next year.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #115
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-20/excollingwood-rookie-wins-sandover-medal

Four of the previous 10 Sandover medallists have gone on to play in the AFL, including Brownlow medallist Matt Priddis (2006), All Australian Hayden Ballantyne (2008), Andrew Krakouer (2010) and Kane Mitchell (2012).

Bolton had a stunning season for Claremont. He averaged 29 disposals across 20 games. He won the Simpson medal as best afield in WA's state game against Tasmania, where he gathered 46 disposals and kicked two goals in a 134-point win in June.

He also caught the eye of Fremantle coach Ross Lyon who made special mention of his performance on NAB AFL Rising Star nominee Connor Blakely in Claremont's round 19 win over Fremantle's WAFL-affiliate club Peel Thunder.

Bolton said he is far better placed to handle AFL football now than he was during his time at Collingwood in 2011.

"When I was 18 I think it might have been a little bit too early for me," Bolton said.

"But I think I've learned a lot now and developed my game to a point where I can contribute to a list at a high level. That's just the goal. I just want to play my role for whatever the coach says to the best of my ability and hopefully that can get me to where I want to be."

Bolton said he has added roughly 10kg of size since his time in the AFL system and feels he is a far better contested player as a result, complementing his natural running capacity.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #116

I believe we'll crack the 8 next year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that was your prediction for this season as well ?

IMO, no way we will make the 8 next season.

Reply #117
For the sake of unity and club cohesion we need to create an environment where there is no room for folks to start doubting we are on the right track.
That means we have to show real signs of progress.
Some see that in terms of improved on-field efforts....green shoots.
I believe that's a little too intangible and that it has to be progress in terms of games won and ladder positions.
Its why I believe last place would be a disaster...it's because of the detrimental effect it would have on our confidence and unity.
Once the cracks appear in a clubs path we all know how quickly they widen and once that starts it's hard to reverse that process....only success stops that!

Not expecting finals but..... 9th to 12th
9-10 wins.

If we're basing it on our own expectations I'd have to give it 49/100.
That's probably because my expectations were too high. :D

The reason it wasn't a major fail (the disaster) in my opinion  was there were some good signs from the youngsters and we were generally a lot more competitive.

We only dropped a game in terms of games won... but lost a couple of spots on the ladder.
That's because some sides progressed, while we basically played a 'standing still' game.
Results took a secondary role to experimentation and getting games into youngsters.

So here are the things I'll be looking at in the coming months.

Once a season finishes some of the 'unity of effort' dissipates. Some players look for a change of club others are discarded or traded. It's the time of year where any off field grievances that have been bottled up sometimes surface. So I'll be looking for signs that folk are holding the line and are committed to the approach we've embarked upon.

While there is a strong focus on our youth, our wins this year have come on the backs of strong performances from our senior players. Look at the Jim Park voting for those games and there's only a sprinkling of the younger group. If we lose some of that senior experience we need the youngsters to really step up or bring in some talented mature (22-23+ year olds)

Forwards...If we go into 2018 without a strong Key forward (or two) expect another dismal year. We need to find 50 more goals from somewhere.  Lose Casboult and there's another 20-30 we start behind. Hopefully Curnow, McKay and others can supply some of that but we really need to bolster this area. An improved midfield may provide greater opportunities but we still need those 'finishers'.

Lots of talk about who we might pick up through trade but until they're here we aren't any better.
Cripps desperately needs help and just how important he is to our efforts was shown when he was injured.

The club have been really good at selling the rebuild.
How would we be regarding this season if they hadn't been able to convince folks that it was a long term thing?
I'm surprised there hasn't been a bit more fragility in the faith of supporters...but it seems to be holding.
Wins like the Hawthorn game buy some time...too many results like the Swans game will cause a few cracks.

Reply #118
Pumping our own tyres up again are we MIO?

By stating that I believe we failed to meet expectations?
Or by my prediction being right?

Look at the prediction thread Flyboy, 14th-16th was EASILY the most selected prediction. Hardly claiming to be Nostradamus.

I am revisiting a prediction/expectation thread because the season has ended, isn't that the reason for those threads?

Of course your comment below suggests you thought we would do otherwise and shame the f.... on anyone else who thought otherwise right?
Quote from: flyboy77
Yet all you MSM soaked sheep say we'll go backwards after a few JLT blow outs.

Shame the f.... on you.

Every club suffers from injuries, our club I doubt was particularly outside of averages in that, if anything for 12-13 weeks we were quite lucky.

As for this...
Quote from: flyboy77
But the new ins - Kelly, Hopper, Saunders, another seasoned mid or two eg Jye Bolton....and a seasoned ruckman....

How is that different to any club?
They would improve any club, doesn't mean we would get them.

North played I think more debutants than we did (I think, I haven't checked), if they added Kelly & Hopper I am sure they would expect to challenge as well.. Oh and they have a McKay twin that hasn't made it either...

Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #119
Lods.

I agree that the club has sold the rebuild well and ironically I don't actually really care that we had losses this year and I expected it. I also don't disagree with any comments we have some really good kids and I believe Bolts can coach and we will improve.

But I do believe that the honeymoon period ended on Round 23 2017.
Bolts can't come into next year saying we are only 2 1/2 years into a complete rebuild, players only have x number of games etc.

Also you are right, until a player signs for us, we have our current list.

I will be VERY interested to see the expectation/prediction threads next year
Goals for 2017
=============