Skip to main content
Topic: What are your expectations for 2017? (Read 25562 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What are your expectations for 2017?

Reply #60
You've boosted Thomas since the ill-fated decision was made Kruddler.  When it was apparent that his best footy was behind him, you started bleating about his leadership and professionalism.  You must enjoy flogging dead horses :)

That is being a bit selective DJC. As you well know many of us for some extended period had wanted a Thomas type because our list was full of Church Mice. We needed a voice on and off the field, someone who doesn't shrink when they are challenged or highlighted.

Many of us post when we see Plowman or Weitering push back against opponents, recently SOJ as well.

Why is that so DJC, is our club so different?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #61
You've boosted Thomas since the ill-fated decision was made Kruddler.  When it was apparent that his best footy was behind him, you started bleating about his leadership and professionalism.  You must enjoy flogging dead horses :)

Now you are flat out lying.

I've already stated my position on him repeatedly.

FWIW, here is my comments on him after watching him in the pre-season match in his first year (warts and all)
First things first...
Daisy...i love this kid! He will do for this club what Judd did when he came across. Will set the bar higher based on how he plays and acts. On numerous occasions he was very vocal around the stoppages ensuring everyone was in the right setups. I cannot recall any other player being as vocal. He seems to have picked up our structures better than our current players. I have great faith in him and the new kids could do a lot worse than trying to emulate the way he goes about it.

Of course his footballing ability is definitely worthy of a mention. He brings gut running to another level. Saved a few goals by chasing opponents deep into defence, even when it was not his direct opponent. He goes when he needs to go. He is not selfish. He is quick. He is was skillful. He is everything you want from a footballer. I can see why Mick loves him.

The only thing i'd change about that is highlighted.

Now like is possible with any player, injuries have ruined him. STILL that doesn't change his attitude and leadership qualities which i've backed him on since day dot.

You continue to make $h!t up, and it's getting tiresome.
It hasn't worked out, i and everyone else have accepted that. That is through no fault of his own though.

Reply #62
I think you just shot down your own argument Kruddler  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #63
I think you just shot down your own argument Kruddler  ::)

I'm sure in whatever reality your imagination is providing for you, that makes sense.

But in this one. Far from it.

Lets just leave it at that.

Reply #64
I'm sure in whatever reality your imagination is providing for you, that makes sense.

But in this one. Far from it.

Lets just leave it at that.
With all due respect Krudd, I read the old post a number of times expecting to find reference to you stating back then Daisy was far from his reviosu best. You said you would change a word now but back then, it read like you were suggesting he was performing to his old self. Correct me if I'm wrong, I dont get the purpose of the post otherwise.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #65
With all due respect Krudd, I read the old post a number of times expecting to find reference to you stating back then Daisy was far from his reviosu best. You said you would change a word now but back then, it read like you were suggesting he was performing to his old self. Correct me if I'm wrong, I dont get the purpose of the post otherwise.

That was based off his first game with us. What would turn out to be his kicking issues, wasn't evident from that 1 game. Since then, it's been pretty clear. We've heard his ankle was so bad he had to learn how to walk, run and kick again during his recovery. A player has a bad kick every game. I'm sure Daisy might have had one in that game. Doesn't suggest his kicking would be forever changed.
So the 1 word i changed was 'IS' skilled, to 'WAS' skilled. on the back of what has happened since. The rest still rings true today.

DJC, said that it was only clear since Daisy became what he calls a liability, that i started pumping up his leadership qualities. An attempt by him to rewrite history and make out that i'm trying to save face. I called him out on it as that has been evident since the first game i saw him play. Daisy's leadership qualities has been the major reason i have been pumping him up since day 1.

Reply #66
That was based off his first game with us. What would turn out to be his kicking issues, wasn't evident from that 1 game. Since then, it's been pretty clear. We've heard his ankle was so bad he had to learn how to walk, run and kick again during his recovery. A player has a bad kick every game. I'm sure Daisy might have had one in that game. Doesn't suggest his kicking would be forever changed.
So the 1 word i changed was 'IS' skilled, to 'WAS' skilled. on the back of what has happened since. The rest still rings true today.

DJC, said that it was only clear since Daisy became what he calls a liability, that i started pumping up his leadership qualities. An attempt by him to rewrite history and make out that i'm trying to save face. I called him out on it as that has been evident since the first game i saw him play. Daisy's leadership qualities has been the major reason i have been pumping him up since day 1.
ok, fair enough.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #67
Give it up for goodness sake, he is terrible, we cannot move forward as a club until we get him off the list. Worst highest paid player in football ever

Reply #68
Give it up for goodness sake, he is terrible, we cannot move forward as a club until we get him off the list. Worst highest paid player in football ever

All due respect to Thomas but acquiring his services  was a shocking boo boo , we won't live it down untill he's long gone.
Huge negligence and dereliction of duty,  unacceptable.

Reply #69
That is being a bit selective DJC. As you well know many of us for some extended period had wanted a Thomas type because our list was full of Church Mice. We needed a voice on and off the field, someone who doesn't shrink when they are challenged or highlighted.

Many of us post when we see Plowman or Weitering push back against opponents, recently SOJ as well.

Why is that so DJC, is our club so different?

Some folk may have wanted a "Thomas type" added to our list in 2013, but I suspect their first priority was a bloke who could play footy and hold down a key forward post.

It's interesting to read the "Doubting Thomas" thread.  Indeed, many posters thought that Thomas would be a good addition - because of his football ability.  A few folk felt that it was a poor decision but that became a majority when the season started and most realised how far off the pace he was.

For example, Brettie was in favour of bringing Daisy on board, but then reality set in:

Just showed some footage of Thomas kicking goals from 50m when at the Pies, when he used look like a player to fear. As Garry Lyon then correctly stated, Daisy looks frail these days, which is exactly what I thought when I saw him for the first in a Carlton guernsey in the pre-game warm-up of round 1, whereby I said to my mate that he looked like a school boy having a kick with his idols.

FMD....what have we done???

I have no doubt that Daisy tries his best and his experience may have some value.  However, it seems that his body is not up playing AFL footy at the level he achieved at Collingwood.  You can have the biggest mouth around but it's meaningless if you can't back it up with your actions.

Anyone who thought Thomas played well in his first games for us must not have been paying attention.  He was ordinary, not particularly vocal and definitely not someone our younger players could look up to.  Indeed, one of the criticisms Robert Walls made of Thomas was his tendency to be a clown at training.

Anyway, back to the thread topic: My expectation is that Thomas will be given a couple of games before being overtaken by one of our youngsters.  He may play out the season in the NBs but I suspect that he will develop an injury and go on to the LTI list.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #70
Two things I think most here will agree looking at Daisy 2017 and forward:

1. Based on JLT output, very very unlikely to play the minimum number of games (unless it's less than 5) required to trigger an extra year; and

2. Presuming 1., his departure will free up a lot of money to buy a very good player - one who can actually still play and contribute to team success in a meaningful way for several years.

Nothing against Daisy, but I look forward to the day his retirement (or LTI) is announced and even more when the new recruit is wheeled out.

MM surely did a number on CFC, no one ever forget that....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #71
Two things I think most here will agree looking at Daisy 2017 and forward:

1. Based on JLT output, very very unlikely to play the minimum number of games (unless it's less than 5) required to trigger an extra year; and

2. Presuming 1., his departure will free up a lot of money to buy a very good player - one who can actually still play and contribute to team success in a meaningful way for several years.

Nothing against Daisy, but I look forward to the day his retirement (or LTI) is announced and even more when the new recruit is wheeled out.

MM surely did a number on CFC, no one ever forget that....

I believe he's no longer on that big money, so it's a misconception that retiring him is a financial win.

Like Judd in his last year, as I understand it, in 2017 Daisy is playing for a fraction of the cash he was on in his early seasons and if he gets an extension it won't be at the same dollars as his starting wage but an extension of the 2017 rate. They both had front loaded contracts.

I expect one thing for sure from Bolton, fairness, because if the players see he isn't fair he will lose them and his coaching career is shot. Coaches must reward effort, if Daisy puts in the effort he'll be played just like any other player will be played. That is why the Lloyd article is so much bullcrap, you cannot gift players games regardless of effort. Bolton won't disrespect effort, not unless someone at our club is interfering in which case Bolton needs to make sure everybody knows who is pulling the strings.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
I believe he's no longer on that big money, so it's a misconception that retiring him is a financial win.

Like Judd in his last year, as I understand it, in 2017 Daisy is playing for a fraction of the cash he was on in his early seasons and if he gets an extension it won't be at the same dollars as his starting wage but an extension of the 2017 rate. They both had front loaded contracts.

I expect one thing for sure from Bolton, fairness, because if the players see he isn't fair he will lose them and his coaching career is shot. Coaches must reward effort, if Daisy puts in the effort he'll be played just like any other player will be played. That is why the Lloyd article is so much bullcrap, you cannot gift players games regardless of effort. Bolton won't disrespect effort, not unless someone at our club is interfering in which case Bolton needs to make sure everybody knows who is pulling the strings.
If that is happening, we may as well padlock the front doors and hand the keys back as we can't be saved from our own stupidity.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #73
If that is happening, we may as well padlock the front doors and hand the keys back as we can't be saved from our own stupidity.

It would be just as stupid not to play someone like Daisy just because we have a kid on the list that we hope fills his spot. Respect the effort, reward players for effort, but the effort must come before the reward.

If we don't want to play the likes of Daisy, then we should do as the Dawks did and offload the older guys.

But we didn't offload those types so I expect we'll play them if they deserve a spot.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74

You wanted to pay 750k a year for leadership abilities?...you look at GC who picked up Barlow for that reason, half the money, is already in their best players every week(JLT series) and getting the footy 30 times
a game...thats what we needed.
Mick gave his lovechild a retirement pension after Collingwood's medicos failed Daisy and ours passed him???....and now we are stuck with a player who cant kick 30m, cant run and who will get a  game every week
due to the large amount of money we are paying him because its too embarassing to have him play for the NB's...
We never learn from our mistakes thats part of the reason we remain down the ladder....