Skip to main content
Topic: What are your expectations for 2017? (Read 25389 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What are your expectations for 2017?

Reply #75
You wanted to pay 750k a year for leadership abilities?...you look at GC who picked up Barlow for that reason, half the money, is already in their best players every week(JLT series) and getting the footy 30 times
a game...thats what we needed.
Mick gave his lovechild a retirement pension after Collingwood's medicos failed Daisy and ours passed him???....and now we are stuck with a player who cant kick 30m, cant run and who will get a  game every week
due to the large amount of money we are paying him because its too embarassing to have him play for the NB's...
We never learn from our mistakes thats part of the reason we remain down the ladder....

EB1, besides player development I think the on-field leadership has been the biggest void at our club, what is it worth if we could actually find a player willing to come to us?

I fear that we'll play the youth before they are mentally and physically ready and the lack of leadership will effectively throw them to the wolves. The opposition will damage them permanently from a Carlton perspective, and then when we are tired and frustrated with their lack of progress from those youth we'll trade them out only to watch them become stars in the fresh environment.

Lets not let other ALF clubs make our youth their bitch, lets be smart about managing them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #76
You wanted to pay 750k a year for leadership abilities?...you look at GC who picked up Barlow for that reason, half the money, is already in their best players every week(JLT series) and getting the footy 30 times
a game...thats what we needed.
Mick gave his lovechild a retirement pension after Collingwood's medicos failed Daisy and ours passed him???....and now we are stuck with a player who cant kick 30m, cant run and who will get a  game every week
due to the large amount of money we are paying him because its too embarassing to have him play for the NB's...
We never learn from our mistakes thats part of the reason we remain down the ladder....

I don't know the dynamics of the playing group and where Daisy fits in so I'm guessing but I would have thought that we should be fading Daisy out asap this year. His presence is emblematic of a very troubled period in our history and one we need to put behind us immediately. Daisy, unfortunately, is a constant reminder. So, unless he can really add some on field spark and really motivate our young guys - fade him out by maybe just using him as insurance or doing a deal with him to retire early.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #77
Daisy, unfortunately, is a constant reminder.

Reminder for who, the players around him or you as a supporter?

If you are writing in respect to the playing group, that seems to contradict official reports that came out of the club in 2015/2016. They seem to indicate Daisy stepped up his off-field presence after his shoulder injury and became a positive influence. I even recall Murphy and Gibbs defending him in the media.

As a supporter what Daisy reminds you of matters very little, and I'd expect the club to ignore it in 2017!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #78
Bottom line, if Daisy (like all others) isn't good enough to get a game (ie. his form is not good enough) then play someone else. Unfortunately, he ain't no world beater anymore. Would be hoping we expose the likes of Cuningham, Fisher and SPS to see what they have - maybe that's at the expense of Thomas and/or someone else. We'll see.

Reply #79
EB1, besides player development I think the on-field leadership has been the biggest void at our club, what is it worth if we could actually find a player willing to come to us?

I fear that we'll play the youth before they are mentally and physically ready and the lack of leadership will effectively throw them to the wolves. The opposition will damage them permanently from a Carlton perspective, and then when we are tired and frustrated with their lack of progress from those youth we'll trade them out only to watch them become stars in the fresh environment.

Lets not let other ALF clubs make our youth their bitch, lets be smart about managing them!

LP.....GC and WC both went after players ie Barlow and Mitchell to provide on field leadership and in Mitchells case Premiership winning experience......the difference between them and Daisy is they can still get a kick and contribute on the field...Daisy was cooked when we got him, 750K for what we got would get the hirer sacked at most companies....
Dont disagree our youth need leadership and guidance, we just picked the wrong player at the wrong price....you put Sam Mitchell in our team and see what he would do in comparison to Daisy....

Reply #80
Reminder for who, the players around him or you as a supporter?

If you are writing in respect to the playing group, that seems to contradict official reports that came out of the club in 2015/2016. They seem to indicate Daisy stepped up his off-field presence after his shoulder injury and became a positive influence. I even recall Murphy and Gibbs defending him in the media.

As a supporter what Daisy reminds you of matters very little, and I'd expect the club to ignore it in 2017!

There is a significant number of posts on here on a regular basis talking about Daisy - you are one of a number of contributors and I admit to making the occasional contribution myself. So I guess he is a constant reminder for many on here, often leading down the well worn path of MM's tenure at CFC. And after all, this is a forum for supporters to voice their opinions, or is yours the only one that really matters?.

As to his effect on the club, once again you do not read carefully enough. If you had taken that trouble before going off half cocked (AGAIN!) you would have noticed that I did state that I was not presuming what effect he was having on the club as I do not have that information, just raising it as a discussion point.

Reply #81
Dont disagree our youth need leadership and guidance, we just picked the wrong player at the wrong price....you put Sam Mitchell in our team and see what he would do in comparison to Daisy....

Possibly EB1.

The likes of Mitchell and Barlow were not available at the time, and would they have come to a club under the Malthouse regime, was it an attractive regime?

I think our club looks like a far better destination at the moment, with or without Daisy, as long as we are seen to be doing the right thing.

I expect that as we become a more attractive destination, the dissenters and critics from other clubs like Lloyd, Dunstall, etc., etc., will become louder and louder. Why, simply because we are all competing for the same player resources.

Could it be that the affinity GWS types have for SOS is leaving opposition clubs a little fearful? It's not like we are picking up low draft picks is it?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
As to his effect on the club, once again you do not read carefully enough. If you had taken that trouble before going off half cocked (AGAIN!) you would have noticed that I did state that I was not presuming what effect he was having on the club as I do not have that information, just raising it as a discussion point.

It's no accident I raise the issue Cookie2. I read what you post from two perspectives, cursory and carefully. I raise these issues because it's easy for readers to misinterpret posts, especially if comments are read in isolation.

I expect that won't change in 2017.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
It's no accident I raise the issue Cookie2. I read what you post from two perspectives, cursory and carefully. I raise these issues because it's easy for readers to misinterpret posts, especially if comments are read in isolation.

I expect that won't change in 2017.

If others have issues with what I post then I'm very happy for them to take them up with me themselves.

Reply #84
Though we went down the Smedts, Palmer road, I'n not unhappy to have them - they were cheap gets. The deal to snare Marchbank and Pickett is a ripper really. I'm very excited by these two - added to the past two year's list of recruits. Exposure, development, confidence, momentum, injury-free. We need this from the whole list, but those young blokes need this is a big way. Can't wait for the season to start!

Some bigger bodied mids I did want - were Koby Stevens, Jack Steele and Mick Barlow. I was keen on the first two particularly as younger players, then we missed out. It's water under the bridge now, but I'm hoping we get some more size and strength in the midfield at seasons end (ie. GWS's Matt Kennedy and the Dogs Lin Jong). Who knows, maybe Charlie Curnow muscles his way into the midfield in 2017 to help out Crippa!

Reply #85
Though we went down the Smedts, Palmer road, I'n not unhappy to have them - they were cheap gets. The deal to snare Marchbank and Pickett is a ripper really. I'm very excited by these two - added to the past two year's list of recruits. Exposure, development, confidence, momentum, injury-free. We need this from the whole list, but those young blokes need this is a big way. Can't wait for the season to start!
Agree. I heard Lyon say something on SEN this morning about GWS that I never considered or put into context. He was talking about how they are flag favorites and to put that into context, he said "think about the best kid or two on your list. Well GWS have 30 of them".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #86
If others have issues with what I post then I'm very happy for them to take them up with me themselves.

It's surprising how many people read this stuff but don't post.

I expect there are plenty of posters here who have more than one identity as well! :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #87

I expect there are plenty of posters here who have more than one identity as well! :D

You could be right 99!  8)

Reply #88
It's surprising how many people read this stuff but don't post.

I was discussing that very issue with my alter ego this morning  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #89
It's when they start arguing with themselves that I get a bit concerned ;D