Skip to main content
Topic: What are your expectations for 2017? (Read 25383 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What are your expectations for 2017?

Reply #91
It's surprising how many people read this stuff but don't post.

I expect there are plenty of posters here who have more than one identity as well! :D

If you adopt a "play the post, not the poster" strategy, it probably shouldn't matter. But I still feel there's  something quite right about that.  

Reply #92
If you adopt a "play the post, not the poster" strategy, it probably shouldn't matter. But I still feel there's  something quite right about that.

Dorothy Dixer
Def: - The term references American advice columnist Dorothy Dix's reputed practice of making up her own questions to allow her to publish more interesting answers.[2] "Dorothy Dixer" has been used in Australian politics since the 1950s, and has become increasingly common in everyday usage, although the term is now frequently shortened to "Dixer". However, the term is virtually unknown in other countries where Dix's column was equally popular.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
I was discussing that very issue with my alter ego this morning  ;)

Actually, that's suggested a possible new thread - "Get to know my alter ego" - what do you think?  :)

Some people may even have more than one!  :o
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #94
You wanted to pay 750k a year for leadership abilities?...you look at GC who picked up Barlow for that reason, half the money, is already in their best players every week(JLT series) and getting the footy 30 times
a game...thats what we needed.
Mick gave his lovechild a retirement pension after Collingwood's medicos failed Daisy and ours passed him???....and now we are stuck with a player who cant kick 30m, cant run and who will get a  game every week
due to the large amount of money we are paying him because its too embarassing to have him play for the NB's...
We never learn from our mistakes thats part of the reason we remain down the ladder....

I didnt write the cheques, nor condone the cash. That is another conversation.

I suspect the list of senior players with leadership qualities that antedto come to carlton was a rather short one.

Reply #95
Actually, that's suggested a possible new thread - "Get to know my alter ego" - what do you think?  :)

Some people may even have more than one!  :o
Call it "The United States of Tara Thread"
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #96
Call it "The United States of Tara Thread"

I enjoyed that series very much :)

However, I'm a little concerned that we may find that some CSC posters don't have one personality, let alone multiples  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #97
Agree. I heard Lyon say something on SEN this morning about GWS that I never considered or put into context. He was talking about how they are flag favorites and to put that into context, he said "think about the best kid or two on your list. Well GWS have 30 of them".

And there's probably another 20-30 exGWS players on other club's lists.

SOS nailed the strategy for them in a way that GC missed. They should both be pushing for the GF this year but GC got pretty much everything wrong. Draft/trade strategy, culture, facilities, injury management, salary cap management, coach appointments... it's been an epic stuff up which only looks all the worse for GWS success.

Re. expectations for 2017 the Age experts predict that Carlton will push for 7-8 wins this year. I'd sign up for that right now. Our disposal right across the JLT series was wooden spoon stuff. Maybe that will clean up as we come into the season proper but that is the challenge at this point. We were miles off even a basic level of decision making / disposal accuracy.

Reply #98
And there's probably another 20-30 exGWS players on other club's lists.

SOS nailed the strategy for them in a way that GC missed. They should both be pushing for the GF this year but GC got pretty much everything wrong. Draft/trade strategy, culture, facilities, injury management, salary cap management, coach appointments... it's been an epic stuff up which only looks all the worse for GWS success.

Re. expectations for 2017 the Age experts predict that Carlton will push for 7-8 wins this year. I'd sign up for that right now. Our disposal right across the JLT series was wooden spoon stuff. Maybe that will clean up as we come into the season proper but that is the challenge at this point. We were miles off even a basic level of decision making / disposal accuracy.

So much doom and gloom for us in 2017!

Yet we have Murphy back and have added new talent in Marchbank, Pickett (both top 10 draftees with injuries seemingly now behind them and only 20 odd), Palmer (former top 10er who was good enough to play in GWS's PF side), Smedts (former #15 pick who has an almost bizarre injury laden career), SPS (once touted as the best 16yo in the country by a mile), Zac Fisher and the rest of that gang eg Polson, Macreadie (also touted as top 5 till GWS uprooted him) et al. And SOS's cousin.

Then there's blokes like Charlie Curnow, Harry Mc, and even Jacob W. who will begin to shine...

Yet all you MSM soaked sheep say we'll go backwards after a few JLT blow outs.

Shame the f.... on you.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #99
Dude, once we get to the bye, you will either be the exalted one, or your world will coming crashing down around you.

Don't worry, all our crystal balls are from the same $2 shop. Some just slap a Chopard label on them because apparently it makes them more accurate.

MSM soaked sheep - man, that's weird.

Reply #100
I think we will empower youth more this year and youth tend to struggle early so I think we might not win 7 games in 2017. But really I have no idea.

Reply #101
Like the positivity Flyboy, you always seem to view the glass half full.

I remember going to the infamous Essendon "what are those blokes on" match in 2012... it was a sunny day and I thought we were a contender about to smash our hated enemy... nothing has quite been the same since. Elimination final win over Richmond was a little ray of sunshine. But the optimism has been beaten out of me in that time.

Reply #102
Like the positivity Flyboy, you always seem to view the glass half full.

I remember going to the infamous Essendon "what are those blokes on" match in 2012... it was a sunny day and I thought we were a contender about to smash our hated enemy... nothing has quite been the same since. Elimination final win over Richmond was a little ray of sunshine. But the optimism has been beaten out of me in that time.

That was when (name escapes me - Lonergan?) pile drove Carrots into the turf early in Q1.

Carrots was in career best form and arguably never returned to that level.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #103
That was when (name escapes me - Lonergan?) pile drove Carrots into the turf early in Q1.

Carrots was in career best form and arguably never returned to that level.

Sam Lonergan - cut at the end of the 2012 season.

Thanks for nothing, maggot.

Reply #104
I don't really get the MSM Sheep reference??!!

In terms of comparing to last year, it depends a fair bit on your perspective of how we performed last year given it was a season of 2 distinctive and opposing halves. Our first half of the year was good after a rocky start, and we won 6 in 7 weeks which is our best run of form for many many years. But in the back half we won 1 from 11 and were terrible in some of those games. We lost to the teams who came last and 2nd last over the last 3 rounds - a pretty good indication of where we are at IMO.

I tend to believe our most recent form is the most relevant to where we are at and what I base my judgement on. We essentially have no established forward-line or goal kicking power, and hence we will struggle to win games.

We have a bunch of talented youngsters, but history shows if you run out with a team half full [or more] of players in their first or 2nd years you are going to get pumped more often than not.

I pray I'm wrong, and that we take the Tigers by surprise on Thursday, but I think we are in for a long long year of pain.