Skip to main content

Poll

Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

1-4
[ 0 ] (0%)
5-8
[ 0 ] (0%)
9-12
[ 11 ] (17.2%)
13-15
[ 17 ] (26.6%)
16-18
[ 36 ] (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: March 23, 2017, 11:05:37 pm

Topic: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017? (Read 37068 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

Reply #45
Mods, is it worth giving consideration to merging this thread and the "What are your expectations" thread" ? They started off with a different emphasis,  but they seem to be converging.

You can't merge them, it will delete the poll.

Reply #47
Mods, is it worth giving consideration to merging this thread and the "What are your expectations" thread" ? They started off with a different emphasis,  but they seem to be converging.

They will diverge again  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #48
They will diverge again  :)
I'll fix it:

"Its bloody Micks fault." ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
I'll fix it:

"Its bloody Micks fault." ;D

Yes, it probably is  :))
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
After reading that (especially the bold bit), its clear we will finish 1st!!

Last time someone said something similar ("I cant see us losing a game"), this site went into meltdown!!

In all seriosness, I'm glad he has given that imbecile Lloyd a back hander, well doe Judge.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/mark-loguidice-defends-carltons-list-strategy-labels-matthew-lloyd-uninformed/news-story/e12db747d8cd085fac6dead688242d17

Mark LoGuidice defends Carlton’s list strategy, labels Matthew Lloyd ‘uninformed’
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
March 19, 2017 8:00pm
Subscriber only
CARLTON president Mark LoGiudice has defended the club’s list strategy in the wake of scathing criticism from former Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd.

In Saturday’s Herald Sun, Lloyd suggested the club’s list strategy under Stephen Silvagni was “half-baked” because they had recruited too many players from other clubs “who just aren’t good enough”.

As many as five Carlton players could make their debuts for the club in the blockbuster season-opener against Richmond on Thursday night, including Billie Smedts (Geelong), Rhys Palmer (GWS), Jarrod Pickett (GWS), Alex Silvagni (Fremantle) and strong midfielder Zac Fisher (pick No.27).

LoGiudice hit back at Lloyd, saying the Blues’ list build was on the right track.

“He (Lloyd) has got a view and I think it is an uninformed view, but that is OK,” LoGiudice told the Herald Sun.

“We’ve got a strategy, we’ve got a plan and we are sticking to it.”

Carlton won seven games last season but has become the third-youngest squad in the AFL this year, after another round of aggressive list changes.

The Blues bolstered their recruiting team over summer, enlisting former Greater Western Sydney talent scout Paul Brodie as national recruiting manager, after serving a 13-month ban for betting.

Silvagni has already warned fans the Blues may face a “rocky road” this season and is no guarantee to notch as many victories as last year.

But LoGiudice said Carlton fans would be encouraged by the young players’ effort and development.

“I think they will see a young side that is going to give it everything,” he said.

“They’re going to go out to win every single game and that is what you will see.

“There is no doubt those young players will be tested at times, and it will be challenging, but it will also be very, very exciting.”

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
But LoGiudice said Carlton fans would be encouraged by the young players’ effort and development.

“I think they will see a young side that is going to give it everything,” he said.

If I see this from qtr to qtr, week in, week out, I will be 1 very happy fella!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #53
Silvagni has already warned fans the Blues may face a “rocky road” this season and is no guarantee to notch as many victories as last year.

I agree with SOS but when you are hunting for members early on in the season I wouldnt have been so direct and sold a bit more hope....media like Matthew Lloyd are already all over the list, predicting failure and laying blame at the feet of SOS for his GWS recruiting theme .
Its like we have given it away for the year and are just waiting for the trade and draft period again....I'm a realist and accept our position but I think we have to sell the rebuild better and not allow numpties like Lloyd a free hit....

Reply #54
Lloyd is obviously squaring up after being pantsed by SOS once too often. 

The point he makes about whether we are going for a full reno or just alts and adds is the also the point members like mateinone have been making.

Reply #55

The point he makes about whether we are going for a full reno or just alts and adds is the also the point members like mateinone have been making.

Almost 30 list changes in two seasons isn't a slight adjustment.

The only way you could harder than that is with GWS style concessions, and we won't be getting any of that from the AFL!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56

Bingo!!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #57

I agree with SOS but when you are hunting for members early on in the season I wouldnt have been so direct and sold a bit more hope....media like Matthew Lloyd are already all over the list, predicting failure and laying blame at the feet of SOS for his GWS recruiting theme .
Its like we have given it away for the year and are just waiting for the trade and draft period again....I'm a realist and accept our position but I think we have to sell the rebuild better and not allow numpties like Lloyd a free hit....

Spot on elwood. It does seem like we are waiting for Nov/Dec again/already for the trade and draft periods.

Hoping our kids surprise this year!

Reply #58
Almost 30 list changes in two seasons isn't a slight adjustment.

The only way you could harder than that is with GWS style concessions, and we won't be getting any of that from the AFL!

I think the point MIO was making (and Lloyd is implying) is that we really needed to trade out older stars with value, to bring in as many high draft picks as possible, to reset from ground zero with a list full (or as full as possible) with young elite talent.

Reply #59

Lloyd can be a good analyst of the game at times but when it comes to CFC his hatred always gets the better of him.
Reality always wins in the end.