Skip to main content

Poll

Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

1-4
[ 0 ] (0%)
5-8
[ 0 ] (0%)
9-12
[ 11 ] (17.2%)
13-15
[ 17 ] (26.6%)
16-18
[ 36 ] (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: March 23, 2017, 11:05:37 pm

Topic: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017? (Read 36604 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

Reply #60
Lloyd can be a good analyst of the game at times but when it comes to CFC his hatred always gets the better of him.

Yes, I quite enjoy his work with Damian Barrett on Access All Areas.

Reply #61
I think the point MIO was making (and Lloyd is implying) is that we really needed to trade out older stars with value, to bring in as many high draft picks as possible, to reset from ground zero with a list full (or as full as possible) with young elite talent.
Hendo, Yaz, 2E and to some extent Menzel were traded to achieve this were they not?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
Hendo, Yaz, 2E and to some extent Menzel were traded to achieve this were they not?

Yes, but people like MIO were thinking to cut very deep, and trade out Krooz, Murph, Gibbs etc.

Reply #63
3 1/2 days out from R1 and still no Carl Vs Rich thread?  ???

Done a lot of reading about pre season time to get into the real stuff.

Reply #64
3 1/2 days out from R1 and still no Carl Vs Rich thread?  ???

Done a lot of reading about pre season time to get into the real stuff.

Feel free to start one. ;)

Any member can start a thread, in fact we'd encourage everyone  to start one up on a topic of their choice....(maybe not a  Malthouse/ Ratten one. We've got enough of those.)

Reply #65
Feel free to start one. ;)

Any member can start a thread, in fact we'd encourage everyone  to start one up on a topic of their choice....(maybe not a  Malthouse/ Ratten one. We've got enough of those.)

You can never have too many of those.

But I have taken a vow of silence of the topic of ex coaches, so all's well.

Reply #66
I haven't a problem with Lloyd. We seem to want these media guys to hop off the fence and give some sort of criticism/analysis.

There are plenty that don't, plenty around draft time that are so overrated it ins't funny. They sit on the fence.

Time now for the Club, moreso the players, to prove Lloyd wrong. Simple.

Hopefully that article has been cut out, photocopied, and put around the Club, so the players can dig in and show some good ol' G&D. And get the job done!

Lloyd's article didn't make me angry. It's fair game, we are open to this with our past history and decisions, and even recent ones. Time will tell and we'll see how it all pans out. I trust in SOS, Bolts and co. We'll see if they got it right.

What I can say is, that I think SOS, Bolts and co need another draft/trade period or two, plus the in-season and pre-season's with that. It'll take time. Thought the Swans and some other clubs have made huge inroads into their lists that had immediate impact the following season. We need more smart and cunning list management decisions. We need our kids to play plenty of games in 2017 too!

I think it's fair to say many of our players, many recruited ones, have something to prove.

Think - Kerridge, Thomas, Phillips, Plowman, Jones, Jaksch, Sumner, Pickett, Marchbank, Smedts, Palmer, etc. Wright had an excellent first season. We need more of that! Marchbank and Pickett I think will be something quite special. Phillips goes well for a young ruck. Plowman handy and needs another bunch of games on end, Sumner too. Most have had injury issues to contend with. But, that's the line SOS and co went down.

Then there are guys like - Buckley, Boekhorst and Graham. Over to you boys! MASSIVE year for these blokes.

Big money for guys like Murphy and Gibbs - hoping they have HUGE years along with Cripps and the like. We need injury free years from these sorts of blokes, and let them play together each week and see how they go.

I think if we get to the end of the 2017 season, and our kids have played little to no AFL footy, we are in BIG trouble!

Reply #67
I think if we get to the end of the 2017 season, and our kids have played little to no AFL footy, we are in BIG trouble!

We'll be in just as much trouble if we prematurely cook the young talent that we've got.

See my thoughts reply in the other similar thread, and why following the recommendations of Lloyd can be throwing the youth to the wolves.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
We'll be in just as much trouble if we prematurely cook the young talent that we've got.

See my thoughts reply in the other similar thread, and why following the recommendations of Lloyd can be throwing the youth to the wolves.

Ofcourse we will. It's a balancing act. Having said that, we must expose these kids kids like last year. That worked quite well. We didn't rush Harry McKay in and 'cook' him. They did a pretty good job last year with the young blokes IMO. More of the same. Another 10+ games into:

Weitering
C.Curnow
J.Silvagni
Cuningham
McKay
SPS
Marchbank
Pickett
Plowman
Sumner
Byrne (when ready)
Sheehan (25 yo, not a kid, but would love to see games on end from him)
Phillips (25 yo, but when ready, play him)

Also, some games for most, or all of - Fisher, Lebois, Polson, Williamson, Macreadie, Kerr. I've got no problem playing some kids if they are physically sound. Pick the game(s) and opponent.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how lots of these kids go at VFL too. Would love to see some standout performances, particularly from Harry McKay!

Reply #69
The kids need to be assessed individually and with care. Some will be ready before others. There may be some teams (weaker, less agro teams), against which we can field more youngsters than others.

Reply #70
The kids need to be assessed individually and with care. Some will be ready before others. There may be some teams (weaker, less agro teams), against which we can field more youngsters than others.

But that is my point PaulP, controlled exposure means a handful of cherry-picked games. Many supporters will translate that, with the help of the media, as those youth not being good enough.

On where we will finish, I implore supporters to try taking another perspective of our list management.  Too many people make an analogy of our team towards a list full of GWS and other rejects. But consider this, the recruiting by SOS is more like that of the early GC team, but from a starting position with far more AFL ready seasoned players than GC hand on hand.

So I expect equal or better than 2016, it's not unreasonable when judging from this other perspective. We've lost little influential talent in the 2016 off-season, but according to Buckenara gain plenty! From my amateur assessment, our list depth has improved significantly in most areas except the ruck.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
Hopefully the club can communicate our strategy in a clear and unambiguous way, so as to avoid or minimize those neurotic reactions. 

Reply #72
Hopefully the club can communicate our strategy in a clear and unambiguous way, so as to avoid or minimize those neurotic reactions.

Isn't that sort of reaction exactly what Lloyd's article was meant to encourage, do supporters really think he was trying to assist?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
Isn't that sort of reaction exactly what Lloyd's article was meant to encourage, do supporters really think he was trying to assist?

Speaking for me personally, I'm well versed in reacting neurotically at even the slightest provocation. I don't need Lloyd's help.

Reply #74
Maybe Lloyd could critically analyse the "vitamins" program at his former club and butt the %)% out of ours.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?