Skip to main content

Poll

Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

1-4
[ 0 ] (0%)
5-8
[ 0 ] (0%)
9-12
[ 11 ] (17.2%)
13-15
[ 17 ] (26.6%)
16-18
[ 36 ] (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: March 23, 2017, 11:05:37 pm

Topic: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017? (Read 35924 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where do you think Carlton will finish in 2017?

Reply #75
But that is my point PaulP, controlled exposure means a handful of cherry-picked games. Many supporters will translate that, with the help of the media, as those youth not being good enough.

On where we will finish, I implore supporters to try taking another perspective of our list management.  Too many people make an analogy of our team towards a list full of GWS and other rejects. But consider this, the recruiting by SOS is more like that of the early GC team, but from a starting position with far more AFL ready seasoned players than GC hand on hand.

So I expect equal or better than 2016, it's not unreasonable when judging from this other perspective. We've lost little influential talent in the 2016 off-season, but according to Buckenara gain plenty! From my amateur assessment, our list depth has improved significantly in most areas except the ruck.

Solids assessment. I do agree with plenty fo this. I am glass half-full too, and reckon we can do some damage this year. We, like all other clubs, need a healthy list and with our good players available each week.

Reply #76
It wont be pretty this year.

I want to see development though.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #77
Silvagni has already warned fans the Blues may face a “rocky road” this season and is no guarantee to notch as many victories as last year.

I agree with SOS but when you are hunting for members early on in the season I wouldnt have been so direct and sold a bit more hope....media like Matthew Lloyd are already all over the list, predicting failure and laying blame at the feet of SOS for his GWS recruiting theme .
Its like we have given it away for the year and are just waiting for the trade and draft period again....I'm a realist and accept our position but I think we have to sell the rebuild better and not allow numpties like Lloyd a free hit....

The thing is, the club is not wrong to be eyeing the next trade period already and to a degree, putting the thing away until that happens.  They have done what they can for this season, and now its time to see the results of previous years work.

Its a cultural and mentality shift, that our footy club requires to get everyone pulling in the right direction.

i.e.  What happens on the field is simply a measure of how the players and football department perform over this season.  The work they put in, will translate to their position on the ladder, and finals football (if any) is a reward for the efforts put in across the season.

Once the season is done, its done.

I don't see why we will change strategy overly from what we have been doing which means that no one's future is set in stone, but we are already looking at where we need to add youth, and where we need to recruit some mature agers to gap fill holes in our team.  All that changes is which names go at the end of the season.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #79
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18912776/footy-forensics-introduces-advanced-afl-elo-based-ladder-prediction-rankings-statistics

Shows you how hard our list will be to peg down, not just for us supporters but for the opposition as well.

The thing I like most is the comparison;

The UBET rating shows you just how forked CheatsFC supporters really are!

Note statistically 50% of teams in the bottom 4 change each year!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
It wont be pretty this year.

I want to see development though.

Agree

15th-18th

Hopefully we don't do anything stupid and sack the Coach if we finish bottom 2.

Reply #81
We wont sack him (yet)...but I bet we wont love him as much if that's where we finish.

Reply #82
3 out of 4 commentators On the Couch Tonight had us finishing with the spoon. I think we will likely finish bottom 2.

While I am an eternal optimist, I think this year the true horror of our drafting over the period 2010-2014 will really hit us between the eyes.

In 12/13/14 we made 29 selections [ex rookie upgrades from previous years] of which Cripps & Doc are stars, the 2 irish boys show promise. The next best is Boekherst!!!

Guys like Everett, Jones, KJ, Tutt, Smith and Foster were recruited to help build a forward line - all gone. Even if we had a 30% hit rate we would 8 solid AFL players with 50 odd games coming into their prime. Instead we have less than half that, and no forward line players whom can kick goals from those 3 drafts. So we have a huge hole in our list that we are now trying fill with players who have mostly played less than 20 games.

Thats why my expectations are very low this year - we are coming from miles back.

Reply #83
3 out of 4 commentators On the Couch Tonight had us finishing with the spoon. I think we will likely finish bottom 2.

While I am an eternal optimist, I think this year the true horror of our drafting over the period 2010-2014 will really hit us between the eyes.

In 12/13/14 we made 29 selections [ex rookie upgrades from previous years] of which Cripps & Doc are stars, the 2 irish boys show promise. The next best is Boekherst!!!

Guys like Everett, Jones, KJ, Tutt, Smith and Foster were recruited to help build a forward line - all gone. Even if we had a 30% hit rate we would 8 solid AFL players with 50 odd games coming into their prime. Instead we have less than half that, and no forward line players whom can kick goals from those 3 drafts. So we have a huge hole in our list that we are now trying fill with players who have mostly played less than 20 games.

Thats why my expectations are very low this year - we are coming from miles back.

As they did last year, and no-one anticipated our 2015 spoon!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #84
If you check out the poll at the top of this thread, you will see an uncanny parallel between the views of our members, and those of the journos. Most in both groups have us near the bottom, with a few thinking we can do better. Whether one group is influencing the other, or whether they both influence each other, I know not.

Reply #85
If you check out the poll at the top of this thread, you will see an uncanny parallel between the views of our members, and those of the journos. Most in both groups have us near the bottom, with a few thinking we can do better. Whether one group is influencing the other, or whether they both influence each other, I know not.

The media are professional, they haven't missed the polls that sites like this one run. They in the business of giving the public what they want, except for The Hun and issues relating to CheatsFC.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #86
It's logical
The club are actively pushing a "no great expectations, we'll give it a go, but the main positive in 2017 will be watching the kids develop" line.

When the commentators (and supporters) look at that they think "OK that's Carlton out of it. But we can probably expect improvement out of everyone else that finished below them except perhaps Brisbane...and no-one is going to drop far enough that Carlton will overtake them."
17th or 18th!

But ladder positions aren't decided in March ;)

Reply #87
More than a couple on this site foresaw the poor 2015 before the season started.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #88
Lets not lose sight of the fact that BB, SOS and co. have been at this rebuild one year!! Take the WB's for example, McCartney started all the good work from 2012 to 2014. Beveridge finished it off so to speak in 2016 (a year or two ahead of schedule IMO). So five years in and they hit the jackpot. I am confident the path is set and BB/SOS will not deviate or be swayed, especially by the likes of media muppets such as Lloyd. Smug prick thinks he is so smart, if he was any good, he'd be in a coaching role somewhere. Instead, he chooses to sit in a chair and take pot shots at people a lot more capable and a lot smarter than he is.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #89
We wont sack him (yet)...but I bet we wont love him as much if that's where we finish.

Our club MUST go through this process where this occurs, and questions are asked of the coach.

Its bound to happen where we stick to our process in spite of everyone telling us how poorly he is doing and that he is sacked, and only then will I have confidence in our club that we know what we are doing.

Its about time this happens where we know what we are doing despite what everyone has to say about it.

Until it occurs (and Im hoping it will be this year when we are not expecting much) expect not a lot.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson